Community Message Boards

Thread: substituting maple syrup for brown sugar

Question substituting maple syrup for brown sugar

I made wallingjan1's "Hearty Banana Muffins" this morning and they were really good. Here's a link to the original thread:
    http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...hlight=muffins

Here's my question. If I wanted to replace the brown sugar with maple syrup, do you think I'd have to make any other changes to the recipe, such as reducing the milk? It is a hearty, dense muffin and doesn't rise a great deal.

My changes were to use a whole egg as Pam did, and used soy milk instead of skim, and coconut oil instead of light olive. Next time I will also add walnuts.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieM View Post
    I made wallingjan1's "Hearty Banana Muffins" this morning and they were really good. Here's a link to the original thread:
    http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...hlight=muffins

Here's my question. If I wanted to replace the brown sugar with maple syrup, do you think I'd have to make any other changes to the recipe, such as reducing the milk? It is a hearty, dense muffin and doesn't rise a great deal.

My changes were to use a whole egg as Pam did, and used soy milk instead of skim, and coconut oil instead of light olive. Next time I will also add walnuts.
    Yes Julie...this is what I do. We want to reduce the liquid portion of the recipe (since you are introducing liquid through the use of maple syrup).

Subbing coconut oil will alter cake texture considerably after cooling. It is solid at room temp, unlike light olive. Since olive is a good oil nutrition wise, I wouldn't sub. Sometimes the difference between a moist cake and a dry cake is choice of fat. Olive oil (unsaturated fat) will stay liquid in your cake. Coconut oil is a saturated fat (a GREAT ONE I swear by & use often for it's healing and nutritional properties) and sometimes gives cakes/brownies/cookies a dry mouth feel because it goes back to solid state at room temp or colder. (Kind of like a butter cake in the fridge. There could be a lb of butter in the cake but it'll have a dry mouth feel because the butter "hardened"). Having "said" all that, if it's a cake I would plan on warming, then coconut oil would be a good substitute. I also try to incorporate it into everything!

Good luck,

Dolores

Thanks Dolores for the great advice about coconut oil! I'm still not sure what to do though about subbing the syrup. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup brown sugar and 3/4 cup skim milk. So assuming I use 1/2 cup maple syrup, would I reduce the milk to 1/4 cup? Or is it something I simply have to play with to find the right formula?

Your question had me wondering about the answer JulieM and I, being curious even though I tend not to bake with maple syrup as it's flavour doesn't come through very well in most baking (but I'm assuming that you may be looking to use it for it's natural sweetness rather than using brown sugar), had to see if there was something out there and I found *this info* which gives an answer to your question - I can't vouch for it's correctness but it makes sense to me.
    Cheers! Andy