Community Message Boards

Thread: How long do homemade pickles keep?

How long do homemade pickles keep?

Do different varieties keep longer than others? Also, will they actually go bad (as in, lookswise or smelly) or is it more of a bacterial thing? Thanks in advance for any insight!!

I can tell you that they can go very soft making them not very good but I've not had any go bad. I mostly make bread and butter pickles but have made dill. HTH.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

I used to make pickles every summer. I would make enough to
    last until the next summer.I never had any spoil but it can happen.

I used the Ball book for canning or followed the USDA guidelines.

Thank you both for your insight. Soft pickles don't sound too appetizing! I didn't metion it but maybe I should have - these are just refrigerator pickles that I don't can. Would that make a difference?

Rebel, refrigerator pickles will keep for a long while, but I do think that over time they simply lose quality. I know ones I've made just become mushy, so then I dump them. I don't think you need to worry about bacteria, because usually their is enough vinegar or other acids to keep those away.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Thank you for all your help!!

My mom and grandmother always made the sweet pickles that are sliced and treated with pickling lime for crispness. They would keep for a few years but turned dark after the first year. I always threw them away after that, but my granny would use them anyway.
    Margaret