Community Message Boards

Thread: Freezing Fresh Corn

Freezing Fresh Corn

We have a wonderful farmer's market that is now harvesting their corn and it is sooooooo good. I have never frozen fresh corn and would like to know if any of you out there have. Could you give me some tips????? TIA!!
    Darlin

I'm actually hoping to hear the answer to this one myself! I bought a FoodSaver at the beginning of the summer, and one of the reasons (aka: arguments) I gave DH about buying the thing was freezing fresh corn so we'd have fresh ears in January! I was playing dirty hitting on his weaknesses, the man is a walking corn cob in the summer (but a corn cob with a cute hiney... )

I believe that the FoodSaver infomercial says you have to blanch fresh corn and other veggies before freezing just to make sure they don't have a 'funny' taste when they're defrosted. They didn't explain blanching, but I believe it's no more than a minute in boiling water then plunged into ice water. I would think that standard freezing would have to be prepared in the same way as freezing in the FoodSaver bags! Let's hope our experts out there can give us the scoop! (I mean 'kernel'!)
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

...aahhhh, memories...

I remember the assembly line like it was yesterday....in my house it WAS yesterday!!!

We all had to shuck the corn, my mother was in charge of blanching, about 5 minutes in boiling salted water. Then my Grandmother and her asbestos hands would take the ears and run them over her old slicer and remove ALL the kernels into a big bowl. Then we both would fill quart sized freezer bags and it was my job to close the "zip" around a straw and then suck all the air out, and quickly suck and pull the straw out and seal the bag at the same time. This corn was just as good in the middle of winter as the day it was purchased.

We never did whole ears, they just take up too much room in the freezer.

Now that I am the proud new owner of a FoodSaver (...Happy Birthday to me....) I am doing the same thing, only with the food saver bags, so I get out of the "straw Job".

We did this for half to the whole day back then, but now I do it in small batches. When I pick up fresh corn for dinner I buy 3 dozen. I just blanch all the corn and freeze it, and then save "x" amount for dinner. This way it gets in the freezer, and I'm not stuck all day in the kitchen with corn.

Tami

My MIL tried an experience and froze the cobs in a foodsaver bag but without the blanching. We had them for dinner this weekend and although the taste was pretty good they were very watery (so I guess the blanching is important). I'm planning to try with the blanching to see how it works out.
    Irene B.

Chefmom, thanks for the tip! So blanching is 5 minutes? I would think that would almost COOK the corn! Oh well, I'm learning. We plan on doing this with cob corn, so freezer space be darned! I used the teaser of fresh corn in January to help DH understand my decision for buying the FOODSAVER. When I just don't have room for all that fresh corn this summer, I'll have my reason for the standup FREEZER for the garage!

Men are so easy!!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Corn freezing veteran here

I've prepared for the freezer 30 to 40 dozen ears of corn annually for the past 25 years or so. Here's what I do:

To freeze whole on the cob: blanch in boiling water to cover (a pasta insert is best to put the ears of corn in) for 4 minutes after it comes back to a boil. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process and chill the corn ears. Drain very well and put into plastic bags and use foodsaver or seal as airtight as possible, or wrap each ear in freezer weight plastic wrap and then they can be heated in the microwave without unwrapping when you're ready to eat them..8 -12 minutes for 2 ears, depending on power of microwave oven.

For cream style "fried" corn (it's a southern thing), you really need a wooden gadget called a corn cutter. It's a curved board that has a blade inserting crosswise, much like a mandoline(?)(spelling is not my strong point!). Holding corn parallel to curve in board, press down across cutter and what emerges below is creamed corn. Cook corn 18-20 minutes after it reaches a boil if you have a 3 qt container full. I use the microwave or the oven to do this. Then immerse bowl in ice water and stir to cool it off, then bag in plastic or put in freezer jars or containers and seal.
    Keeps well for 1 year...never lasts that long at my house.
    This stuff is wonderful

Key to the whole process is choosing the right variety of corn to freeze. Silver Queen is excellent, and there other good varieties, but field corn can taste like cardboard after freezing. Know your corn!
    Good Luck!
    Violanan

You're In Luck!

I just got done doing my first batch of the season of freezer corn so I'll pass on my recipe - been doing this for years and it has been a success every time. My family will not eat store bought corn in the can any more after eating this. I usually do two bushels each summer, 1/2 bushel at a time. This recipe is for 1/2 bushel:

Freezer Corn

Husk and wash corn. Cut off cobs.
    Measure in 4 quart increments into roaster pan or large pot.

4 quarts corn
    1 qt. water
    1 cup sugar.

Bring to a boil, boil for 4 minutes
    Remove from heat, let cool, then refrigerate overnight.
    Pack with liquid in ziplock bags and freeze (I freeze in 2 cup increments for our family of four, usually have enought left over to make a bit of salsa or add to a soup recipe later in the week).

That's it - easy and YUMMY!! Hope this works for you!

Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Originally posted by Jewel
    Chefmom, thanks for the tip! So blanching is 5 minutes? I would think that would almost COOK the corn! Oh well, I'm learning. We plan on doing this with cob corn, so freezer space be darned! I used the teaser of fresh corn in January to help DH understand my decision for buying the FOODSAVER. When I just don't have room for all that fresh corn this summer, I'll have my reason for the standup FREEZER for the garage!

Men are so easy!!

I basically cook my corn for 5 mins (when it's farm fresh, that is all it needs), so I think blanching would be for a minute or two at the most. But then again, my grandmother used to cook corn for 2 hours, so her idea of blanching would be about an hour in that case.

My neighbor always freezes corn. She's on vacation this week, but I will check with her when she comes back, as I wanted to freeze some this year myself.

chefzhat, isn't 1 cup sugar too much? I always add sugar to my water (never salt) and I only put in 1 TBSP, and it is sweet enough.

Here's a spin from my sister-in-law, a personal chef (who basically freezes home-cooked food for a living). Sounds easy, and she says it works wonderfully:

"Corn (any vegetable) should be blanched before freezing. A very easy way to do corn is to use large ziplocs. Nuke 1 ear for 3 minutes, and about an extra minute or two for each additional ear. Then plop them into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. When completely cool, dry, wrap in saran, and put in large ziplock freezer bags (or use the Foodsaver). To reheat, remove from the freezer the night before and nuke for a minute or two while wrapped. I've cooked corn this way and you would not know the difference from your husbands beloved boiling method."

PS - her last comment above is about my DH (her brother). He has never had corn any way other than boiled on the cob or processed frozen or from a can. We're slowly but surely expanding his palate horizons!

Now, I'm going to ask her if you can freeze roasted corn.

Funnybone , 1 cup sounds like a lot of sugar, doesn't it?? But, gotta tell 'ya, been doing it this way for years and it works out wonderfully every time, not too sweet at all. But you are welcome to "fiddle" if you wish. Let me know your results!!

Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

This is what we go by and was prob. already mentioned but, here's my 2 cents .
    Freezing Corn: For both cream-style &/or whole kernel- you need to remove husks, scrub them with a vegetable brush to remove silks. Wash and drain.

*cream-style corn: Cover ears w/ boiling water; return to boiling and boil 4 min. Cool quickly; drain. Use a sharp knife to cut just the kernel tips, then scrape corn w/ a dull knife. Fill containers leaving a 1/2-inch headspace.

*whole kernel: Cover ears w/ boiling water; return to boiling and boil 4 min. Cool quickly; drain. Cut corn from cobs at two-thirds depth of kernels; do not scrape. Fill containers, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace.
    Zinnia