Community Message Boards

Thread: Describe your Living Room.....

Describe your Living Room.....

I'm looking for inspiration What does your Living Room (or Family Room) look like? The Wall Color, Type of Floor (carpet, tile, hardwood, etc), color of floor and the general color of the main furniture (couch, chair)?

Mine currently is getting ready to go under reconstruction It had old wallpaper, which I've removed to find bare, white walls, and light brown/tan carpet. My furniture is all mismatched handy downs that also needs to be replaced.

I found a vinyl tile product at Lowes that comes in 4 inch by 36 inch strips and has the look and texture of hardwood. Suprisingly, their display for this looked very nice and its affordable for me. I am considering using this in my living room with an area rug. I'm having a hard time deciding what color to go with for the walls though that will compliment the "hardwood". (thus why I'm curious what you guys have).

We just did our living room a couple of years ago and I love it. Maybe I can figure out how to post pics later. Anyway it is very warm, Maple hardwood floors, large floor to ceiling wrap around fireplace and has 2 steps down into it. The futniture is overstuffed tapestry. Lots of green plants, large windows. I got the perfect drapes from JC Penneys, they are the best for window coverings and they are very flowing and soft. Lots of antiques to fill up the spaces and of course our dogs "toy box" in the corner.
    I love the color of green, very soothing and it flows great with the Taupe in the dining room.
    What kind of style are you looking at? The product that you were looking at Lowes is very easy to install, I work in the flooring industry just remember, and it is VERY important that you need to roll it with at least a 100lb roller after installing or you will have a problem with "curling" trust me on this, that is what we here the most and when we ask if they rolled it they look at us like we are crazy so no warranty no luck.

Kim
    Take time to laugh, it's the music of the soul

Mine is a "what not to do."

Tan carpet. Tan walls. Tan couch. Decor includes: a naked baby doll, a basket of folded clothes, seven John Deere toy tractors, and inexplicably, an empty Ziploc bag box. Possibly it is a barn for the tractors?

But I do really like my brown/tan/red tweedy chair. Someday, my plan calls for dark, warm colors. Lots of light comes in and I think I will really like it. My kitchen is dark green and gold with dark red here and there and I just love it. I would like the whole downstairs to be those colors. The gold walls make everyday look like a sunny fall afternoon. I love it!

That cracked me up Spotted!!

Kim, thanks for the tip with the 100 pound roller. Not sure what one looks like ( I get the concept) or where to get one, if its something to rent of buy, but I'll look into it for sure.

I haven't given much thought to what type of style I was looking for. I'm not even sure if I have style or not Seriously, I looked at furniture online and my eye was drawn to the sofas/recliners that were darker blue in color. I had thought about painting the wall a lighter blue color but I'm not sure if that's too much blue or not. I might should go with an earth tone.

My family room has butter yellow walls, white crown moulding, red sofa and two red gingham checked chairs. I have a traditional fireplace with a large hearth that is painted white. It's a very warm and cozy room. People always comment on it when they see it for the first time. I think the yellow and red combo is very inviting. I would call it cottage style. The carpet is just an oatmeal colored berber.

My kitchen and family room are pretty much connected. I have pics on my blog, if you want to take a look. The only thing that is different now is that we have decorated the walls much better .

http://heathersblissfuljourney.blogs...s-kitchen.html

-Heather
    Finally blogging again at http://www.heathersblissfuljourney.blogspot.com/ Updated 1/4/12

I love home design. What color of wood is the flooring you are considering? Is your room light or dark?. What is your style, look at magazines, see what you like to define if you are traditional or contemporary or in the middle. Are you casual or more formal?
    My LR is maple hardwood with an area rug, with a creme sofa, stripped chairs and another kind aqua chair. My LR is casual, I finally decided I'm not a formal person, so I replaced my formal furnishings. I also have a big dark red cabinet and very dark sable colored cabinet, also.
    So decide which you are, that will help you.
    I wouldn't paint the wall blue, if you like contemporary you could paint the wall grayish with a blue undertone (very popular now), if you are more traditional you could go with ivory, or with a blue sofa, you could go with a lot of white for a Cape Cod beach look.
    Christie

Heather - I love that color in your kitchen!! Ironically, that's very close to the color I finally picked out for my bedroom. Yours looks like it has a "faux finish" to it - did you do that yourself or was it already like that?? Do you know what technique they/you used to get that look - rag rolling, sponging, etc? I like that a lot.

Christie - of the two samples of that flooring I got, I like the "Golden Oak" one best. I'm definitely causal, but probably in the middle of contemporary and traditional.

My living room isn't very big (none of my house is) and it doesn't have very much lighting, but it opens into my kitchen so it may seem bigger than it really is because of that.

I did want something less boring than white though, but when you said grey with a blue undertone, is that a light grey or a dark grey? Obviously I'm thinking a lighter color since the room isn't that big and doesn't have a lot of light via windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Shugness View Post
    Heather - I love that color in your kitchen!! Ironically, that's very close to the color I finally picked out for my bedroom. Yours looks like it has a "faux finish" to it - did you do that yourself or was it already like that?? Do you know what technique they/you used to get that look - rag rolling, sponging, etc? I like that a lot.
    Hey Sugness . Thanks! Yes, I did it myself. First I painted down the lighter shade of yellow and allowed it to dry. After that I mixed the darker color with glaze (I want to say the ratio was one part paint to four parts glaze, but don't hold me to that because it was 4 years ago!) I used an old T-shirt to apply the mixture and dabbed it darker in some areas and lighter in others. I am very pleased with the way it turned out and it was really easy.

-Heather
    Finally blogging again at http://www.heathersblissfuljourney.blogspot.com/ Updated 1/4/12

Quote Originally Posted by Spotted Pony View Post
    Mine is a "what not to do."

Tan carpet. Tan walls. Tan couch. Decor includes: a naked baby doll, a basket of folded clothes, seven John Deere toy tractors, and inexplicably, an empty Ziploc bag box. Possibly it is a barn for the tractors?

But I do really like my brown/tan/red tweedy chair. Someday, my plan calls for dark, warm colors. Lots of light comes in and I think I will really like it. My kitchen is dark green and gold with dark red here and there and I just love it. I would like the whole downstairs to be those colors. The gold walls make everyday look like a sunny fall afternoon. I love it!
    OMG we MUST have the same decorater. Except minus the John Dear tractors and muliple the naked baby dolls by 4. It really is stunning

I'm looking for inspiration What does your Living Room (or Family Room) look like? The Wall Color, Type of Floor (carpet, tile, hardwood, etc), color of floor and the general color of the main furniture (couch, chair)?
    3 walls - Duron's Tavern Taupe. An interior designer friend has it all over her living & dining room and was happy to share.
    1 wall - Behr's Cherry Cobbler. Using a dark gray primer helped immensely.

Window treatments - as yet undetermined, probably plantation shutters. We have two dogs and I think drapes would catch too much fur/dust.

Furniture - chocolate brown leather sofa, and another slipcovered sofa that we want to replace with two chairs and ottomans. The whole furniture thing is still a work in progress.

Floor - hardwoods, original to the house. DH wanted light-colored floors because of the dogs. I wanted dark-colored floors because houses from the era didn't have light floors. We both had good points and we compromised on a medium brown stain.
    "Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?" - attorney Bob Loblaw, Arrested Development

"Spend time with your kids so we don't have to" - Florida Dept. of Juvenile Justice bumper sticker

www.nostinkycheese.blogspot.com

Heather - thanks for the info. I would have messed that up if I didn't know better now - I would have thought darker color was the base and lighter color on top.

I'll share some photos of my living room but fair warning, I'm pretty traditional...

The first is of the east side and normally the blinds are open in the afternoon but they are closed for the photo shoot. The couch was a hand-me-down that cost me $1,200 to recover (10+ years ago). Had no idea reupholstering was such a goldmine!

Moving to the left:

Fireplace wall:

My chair where I read. I had the frame custom built and then a friend upholstered it...even with my knowledge from the couch...cost me $1,200 but it's chenille and so very comfy!

Pretty bad shot of the collage of our art from Singapore:

View from my chair and when the blinds are open I can see the horses and the back pasture:

So nothing exciting but it is a very comfortable room. And I think I need to have the lens cleaned on the camera...

BTA: the floors are pine rather than oak. DH wanted pine as he thought it more country. I do like the bigger planks but it has darkened considerably (one of the reasons for the blinds on the doors). The carpet is an antique from his grandmother and the couch and chair were upholstered with that in mind.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Window treatments - as yet undetermined, probably plantation shutters. We have two dogs and I think drapes would catch too much fur/dust.
    Stefania, I have both shutter and drapes and 2 dogs that SHED. U much prefer my drapes, believe it or nor they dont cath that much dust or hair. I do take the vacuum cleaner occasional to the top and bottom. The shutters are magnet for dust that have to be wiped dow a lot.

Laurie

I'll take a page out of Sneezles' book, and take photos... after the cleaning lady leaves!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I also have two dogs that shed a lot and both shutters and drapes in my LR, the drapes are less work.
    Christie

Sneezles - I love that big blue chair you have. I was wanting to get something like that but my husband said he'd rather have a recliner I think recliners are way overrated.

Sneezles - I love that big blue chair you have. I was wanting to get something like that but my husband said he'd rather have a recliner I think recliners are way overrated.
    The chair next to mine is DH's recliner and frankly I think it's a PITA to recline. Mine is based on the chair-and-a-half in Pottery Barn's catalogue. We went to a guy who builds furniture and he built the frame for me.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

We just had our living room painted and purchased new furniture. Check the pictures out on facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/a...&id=1255093757

This is a huge change from all white. I plan on replacing the carpet in a year or so, after the puppy isn't so much of a puppy.
    Well there's one thing that I'll never forget
    It's the beauty of a friendship that's not over yet

I know how just one smile can be planted like a seed
    And I want to do that for somebody else the way it was done for me

(If We Never Meet Again - Tommy Conwell & the Young Rumblers )

Here's ours (and this was last year; we've added more decorations since then):
    I love our couch....it's so comfortable and we can all fit on it. And best of all, the cushions are attached so the kids aren't able to take them off and spread them throughout the house like our last couch!

Amy

Om Mani Padme Hum

Blissful,

I really love the couch, especially since you said that the the cushions are attached. Do you happen to know what brand it is?

Thanks,
    Cheryl

Colleen & Amy - I like what you both have going on there, those colors are very complementary to what you have going on.

And you both have dogs in the pictures - that's great!!

Quote Originally Posted by cchhbb View Post
    Blissful,

I really love the couch, especially since you said that the the cushions are attached. Do you happen to know what brand it is?

Thanks,
    Cheryl
    Sorry for the very late response! We got the couch at Lacks, but that's all I know about it. It's super comfortable.
    Amy

Om Mani Padme Hum

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful_in_TX View Post
    Sorry for the very late response! We got the couch at Lacks, but that's all I know about it. It's super comfortable.
    Thanks, I've never heard of Lacks, but I'm off to google.

I'd love to replace my couch with something a little larger and more comfortable.

Cheryl

I have a dark blue sofa and light blue walls with hardwood floors. My taste may be a bit contemporary/vintage for you, but you can get an idea of the color scheme.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I'll play! I love seeing how other people decorate their homes. I'm just posting pictures rather than trying to describe it.

This shot was taken from the entryway:

This one is looking down from the stairway:

This was taken from the entrance on the kitchen side:

This one's from the library looking toward the kitchen and dining room:

This is from the hallway leading to the master bedroom:
    "Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you."
    ~Tommy Smothers

Olive - actually, what you've got going on there is very similiar to what I've settled on doing. The wall color I picked out is a lighter color blue, more like a white with blue tint I guess you'd say. I painted a small section of the wall with a sample I got and it really went well with the white trim work and I think the golden oak floor will complement it as well. Of the 3 colors I tried out, it was the one that made the room look brighter, and I really just fell in love with the color. I'm going to keep one of the couches I have, but buy a dark blue slipcover for it and I'll buy the hubs the recliner he wants, but go with a dark blue too. Thanks for sharing though, I'll definitely show my husband your picture to give him some assurance - he's still a little uncomfortable with a blue living room.

Quote Originally Posted by ___Rhianna___ View Post
    I'll play! I love seeing how other people decorate their homes. I'm just posting pictures rather than trying to describe it.

Rhianna - You're living room is very pretty! Something that's very "me", whatever that is.
    Amy

Om Mani Padme Hum

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful_in_TX View Post
    Rhianna - You're living room is very pretty! Something that's very "me", whatever that is.
    Thank you!
    "Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you."
    ~Tommy Smothers