Community Message Boards

Thread: Need substitute for apple juice

Question Need substitute for apple juice

What can I use as substitute for 1/4 cup of apple juice in recipe below? (My adaptation.)
    It was originally posted by Couperine and given great review by Linda in MO.
    Have wine, broth, assorted vinegars, lemon & lime. Grateful for quick reply.

Bourbon Chicken Recipe #45809
    I searched and finally found this recipe on the internet. It is a copycat of the Bourbon Chicken sold in Chinese carry-outs in my hometown. This recipe is so good that my sons gobble it up leaving me just a spoonful. Their excuse was they thought I had eaten.
    by LinMarie

1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces (2 whole breasts 1-inch pieces)
    1/2 + 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/4 teaspoon ginger
    scant 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1/4 cup apple juice
    1/3 cup light brown sugar
    2 tablespoons ketchup
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup water (reserving 1/8 cup or so to mix with corn starch)
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    1 tablespoon corn starch

1. Heat oil in a large skillet.
    2. Add chicken pieces and cook in two batches until lightly browned. Remove chicken and set aside.
    3. Add garlic to pan and sauté 30 seconds.
    4. Add remaining ingredients, heating over medium heat until well mixed and dissolved.
    5. Add chicken and bring to a hard boil.
    6. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes. (14 minutes almost dried the chicken out.)
    7. Serve over hot rice and ENJOY. A side dish of broccoli would be wonderful (or green beans?).

SERVES 3 - 4
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

I think I'd use chicken broth... but if you have an apple, could you liquify it in a blender, and squeeze the juice to make 1/4 cup? I don't know how significant the apple taste is to the recipe... or maybe use some applesauce mixed with chicken broth?
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Broth might work, but it might make it salty rather than sweet. You could try some honey and water or sugar water. If you have any other kind of juice or a sweet wine that might work too.

Thanks Kay! Chicken broth it is. No apple anything in the house except during baking season = not with triple digit temps like we have now That's why I cook early in the day to reheat in microwave for dinner.
    LadyWild - I'll taste and see if some sweetness is needed. Good idea.
    Thank you for quick replies
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

I'd be tempted to use some bourbon: 2 tablespoon bourbon and 2 tablespoons applesauce or orange juice.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

Quote Originally Posted by PattiA View Post
    I'd be tempted to use some bourbon: 2 tablespoon bourbon and 2 tablespoons applesauce or orange juice.
    Bourbon's always good!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Using bourbon was actually very tempting I sub chicken in CL's One-Pan Whiskey Flavored Pork Chops
    Today I used broth and then tasted my way while adding honey and a tad more vinegar & ketchup. The predominant flavor is still soy sauce with sweetness and some spice.
    Perhaps I should have pureed leftover green grapes from yesterday's Argula Salad with Shrimp and Grapes that I highly recommend. (Hijacking my own thread )
    -M. Acklam

Had I seen this thread earlier I'd have said wine, a nice pinot grigio or sauvingon blanc.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I've made this recipe several times and we really enjoy it. I usually have apple juice on hand, but if I had to find a substitute I'd probably try orange juice.

BTW, this is also good with some cashews added in.

Got any canned pineapple on hand? Just use the juice. That would stay with the sweet flavor and probably come out a little like sweet and sour with the other ingredients contained in the recipe. I always have pineapple on the shelf. Ann in NC

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    Had I seen this thread earlier I'd have said wine, a nice pinot grigio or sauvingon blanc.
    Thanks sneezles, I'll make a note for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine-Rose View Post
    I've made this recipe several times and we really enjoy it. I usually have apple juice on hand, but if I had to find a substitute I'd probably try orange juice.

BTW, this is also good with some cashews added in.
    Usually no OJ on hand either but adding nuts is a great idea that would make DH love it even more Thank you Jasmine-Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by ncredbird View Post
    Got any canned pineapple on hand? Just use the juice. That would stay with the sweet flavor and probably come out a little like sweet and sour with the other ingredients contained in the recipe. I always have pineapple on the shelf. Ann in NC
    Thanks Ann - I actually keep tiny cans of pineapple juice for another recipe, though I can't remember which right now.
    ETA: I use pineapple juice for Teriyaki-Ginger Pork Tenderloin from an old 5-ingredient cookbook by CL.
    Last edited by swedish cook; 07-10-2009 at 01:35 PM.
    -M. Acklam