What can I use as substitute for 1/4 cup of apple juice in recipe below? (My adaptation.)
It was originally posted by Couperine and given great review by Linda in MO.
Have wine, broth, assorted vinegars, lemon & lime. Grateful for quick reply.
Bourbon Chicken Recipe #45809
I searched and finally found this recipe on the internet. It is a copycat of the Bourbon Chicken sold in Chinese carry-outs in my hometown. This recipe is so good that my sons gobble it up leaving me just a spoonful. Their excuse was they thought I had eaten.
1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces (2 whole breasts 1-inch pieces)
1/2 + 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon ginger
scant 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup apple juice
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 cup water (reserving 1/8 cup or so to mix with corn starch)
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon corn starch
1. Heat oil in a large skillet.
2. Add chicken pieces and cook in two batches until lightly browned. Remove chicken and set aside.
3. Add garlic to pan and sauté 30 seconds.
4. Add remaining ingredients, heating over medium heat until well mixed and dissolved.
5. Add chicken and bring to a hard boil.
6. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes. (14 minutes almost dried the chicken out.)
7. Serve over hot rice and ENJOY. A side dish of broccoli would be wonderful (or green beans?).
SERVES 3 - 4