Community Message Boards

Thread: When you grill fish...?

When you grill fish...?

Do you use a fish basket? The only fish I've ever grilled is salmon. I think of that as a heartier fish, fine for flipping on the grill. But tilapia? Or something lighter? Do you generally put it in something to grill? (We've used planks and I haven't been totally thrilled with the results.)

Interested in your opinions and any simple recipes you'd like to share. Dh and I are changing some of the ways we eat, and replacing steak with fish on grilling night is one of them.

TIA.
    TKay

I don't use a basket.

Then again I like to grill whole fish-or at least fillets with the skin on.

I do oil the grill and the fish so sticking isn't an issue.

I have a fish turner too.

Simple recipe is to rub a whole dressed trout with olive oil, sprinkle inside and out with S&P and stick a couple sprigs of rosemary in the cavity. Grill until it flakes easily with a fork. I use a hot fire and it only takes about 4 minutes for the first side and 2-3 for the other.

THIS trout recipe is also really easy and delicious. I even blogged on it twice!
    Visit my blog at http://www.theglobalkitchen.blogspot.com/
    "A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."

James Beard

I like to use foil packets when making light fish on the bbq. I enjoy this recipe in particular:
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/ti...le_packet.html

If I'm just cooking a small amount for myself, I generally just use a foil packet. But if I'm cooking for more than 2 people, I use the basket below. it works great and I do adore it. I've found it useful for fish, veggies, etc. definitely not a 1 use item.

Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

I sometimes make kabobs with either salmon or halibut but am not sure if that would work for tilapia. I have a 'grill pan' which is a light weight stainless skillet with holes through the bottom that I use for rockfish or veges.
    Anne

I grill mine on cedar planks over charcoal laced with hickory chips. The plank keeps them moist and the smoked flavor is wonderful. They don't need to be turned and slide off easily with a spatula.

Quote Originally Posted by Terri_A View Post
    If I'm just cooking a small amount for myself, I generally just use a foil packet. But if I'm cooking for more than 2 people, I use the basket below. it works great and I do adore it. I've found it useful for fish, veggies, etc. definitely not a 1 use item.

I vote for the grill basket as well. Ours is oval shaped (probably designed to hold a whole fish) but we find it works well for two nice-sized tilapia fillets. We rub with a little olive oil and season with lemon pepper, coarse grained sea salt and it's really yummy. We do this a couple of times a week now that it's warm outside.
    Trish N.
    Omaha, NE
    "I'm not as sweet as I used to be" Ouiser Boudreaux - "Steel Magnolias" 1989

OK I dug out my basket and used it last night on some grilled trout.

I did like it as my basket is non stick and I didn't have to clean skin off the grill. But I did have to clean my basket.

I think I'll use it if I stuff a whole fish because it would keep whatever from falling out of the cavity during the flip.

I've also used the plank with cedar and arctic char with good results.
    Visit my blog at http://www.theglobalkitchen.blogspot.com/
    "A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."

James Beard

Thanks for the replies. I'm considering a basket, but frankly, I suppose I could just use the foil pouches as you guys have suggested. I like the idea of doing fish and veggies at the same time (as pictured in the basket above). Grilled veggies are moving up on the list of to-eat foods these days.
    TKay

wow, talk about good timing, I am contemplating grilling tillapia fillets tonight--and was wondering how well they would stand up--I have a grill basket but the foil packet method sounds pretty interesting and a lot easier for clean up--do you still get grilled flavor with the packets?
    Has anyone every used Spade L. Ranch fish seasoning? I am test driving it tonight on the tillapia--do you think if I had just fish and no veggies it would be okay? would you adjust the cooking time? I have snow pea pods, mushrooms, potatoes and tomatoes--would they be okay in a 2nd packet? I'm thinking the tomatoes might mush on me.....???
    Thanks!