Community Message Boards

Thread: Jar of peeled garlic

Jar of peeled garlic

OK, it's not a jar, it's a plastic container, but I digress....

I've been eating lots of garlic lately and peeling it gets a little tiresome. OK, I'm lazy, but I once again digress...

I bought a jar of peeled garlic cloves tonight, the latest date I could get was 7/25. There is no way I can eat them by then and, although I realize I had a few days "grace" before mold (or whatever) kicks in, does anyone have any ideas on preserving them past their prime? I thought I read somewhere to store them covered with olive oil; am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance!

Kate

Oh, I don't know about that: there are a lot botulism issues associated with "preserving" food in olive oil. Not to say that I might not do it, but I don't think it would be recommended.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

We're heavy garlic eaters here too (or I should say, I have a heavy hand with fresh garlic). Like you, the garlic prep became tedious EVERY single night and I tired of the sticky garlicky skins and papers all over my countertop - some of it landing on the floor most days.

I now employ DD#4 to process 2 large heads of garlic in my mini-processor once a week (with a sprinkle of sea salt) -- the top gets a light coating of evoo before storage in the fridge (in a "Lock-tite" container). This lasts me one week and has worked nicely in my kitchen.
    I have been working on a solution for years....mincing 2 heads once a week is the best I've found. I just dont' know how fresh the jarred garlic is.

Dolores
    "we can't go 'round measuring our goodness by what we don't do, by what we deny ourselves, what we resist and who we exclude...
    we've got to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create, and who we include."
    Pierre Henri in Chocolat
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.photographybydolores.com

Thank you for the Tips AZJane!
    Chari

Thanks everyone! I ended up giving some to my mom and sister last night so I think I can use up the rest before it spoils. The recipe I made last night for garlic risotto called for it to be sliced thinly and sauteed (I'll post the recipe in another thread) so, although minced might have worked, I love garlic chips!

Thanks again,

Kate