Community Message Boards

Thread: Iso authenic polish golumki recipe

Iso authenic polish golumki recipe

i AM LOOKING FOR AN AUTHENIC POLISH GOLUMKI, AKA STUFFED CABBAGE RECIPE. i HAVE SEEN SOME BUT THEY DON'T SEEM LIKE THE ROLLS THAT I USED TO GET FROM A POLISH DELI. SOME HAD A SWEET AND SOUR TYPE SAUCE WHICH IS NOT THE USUAL. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

I don't have a recipe and haven't made these in years but i can describe what my bachi taught me-

mix ground beef (she loved the 3- meat ground meat- beef, pork and veal ??) and cooked white rice to whatever consistency you like- it was about 2/3 meat and 1/3 rice. Season with salt and pepper and 2-3 cloves of minded garlic if you like

Discard the first outer layer of leaves from a large green cabbage . Carefully remove as many leaves as you need and quickly boil them in lightly salted water to soften. Put about 1/4 to 1/2 cup or so of the meat mixture near the stiffer stem part of the leaf. Roll the leaf bringing in the sides. Poke a gentle dent in the sides.

In a large pot or dutch oven, saute one finely diced onion til softened. Add
    2 large cans (?) of tomato sauce- season with 1 tsp sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Make sure that the sauce covers the stuffed cabbage rolls.

Bring to a boil and then simmer gently about 1 hour.
    Cheryl

I also do not have an exact recipe. Brown ground beef with finely chopped onions, salt and pepper. Add cooked white rice. We always added more rice than beef as this is meant to stretch what food was on hand. Boil a head of cabbage and pull off leaves as they soften. Place meat/cabbage mixture in center of leaves and roll up (eggroll style). Put some outer damage leaves in bottom of dutch oven and place rolls on top, fitting tightly together. Mix tomato soup (number of cans depends on how many rolls) and white vinegar (again not sure of amount - I just add till soup nice and tangy!). Pour mixture over rolls and place more unused leaves on top. Cover pan tightly and bake in 325 oven for hours (till cabbage very tender). The lovely smell of this cooking will bring neighbors running to your house!

Martha Stewart is often a great resource for traditional Polish food since she is at least part Polish and her mom was always making Polish recipes on her show. Have you tried googling that? Also, I have a traditional Polish cookbook that I will check in for you, but it won't be TNT.
    - Josie

These are probably the same as "Holopchis" which are the Yiddish version made by Eastern European Jews. Since many of them came from Poland or Russian -- or what was sometimes Poland and sometimes Russian or even another country depending on who had won the most recent war -- much "Jewish" food is very close to Polish food (minus pork of course.).

This is pretty close to my Bubbe's recipe -- It's actually from Jennie Grossinger's cookbook but it has the sweet/sour tomato sauce with raisins. There is also a Cabbage Soup which has the same kind of taste.

There are some "easier" versions which used canned tomato sauce or canned tomato sauce with some bones thrown in for flavoring so it depends on whether you are a short cut kind of person.

However, this recipe should give you the end result you are looking for.

From "The Art of Jewish Cooking" by Jennie Grossinger, Bantam).

INGREDIENTS:

Large head cabbage
    2 tablespoons fat (schmaltz or vegetable oil)
    2 onions, sliced
    3 cups canned tomatoes
    1/2 cup ketchup (optional)
    3 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    Beef bones
    1 pound ground beef
    3 tablespoons uncooked rice
    4 tablespoons grated onion
    1 egg
    3 tablespoons cold water
    3 tablespoons honey
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup seedless raisins

DIRECTIONS:

Pour boiling water over cabbage to cover and let soak for 15 minutes. Remove 12 leaves carefully so they remain intact. If leaves are small, use 18 instead.

Heat fat in a deep, heavy saucepan. Add onions and cook until lightly brown. Add tomatoes, ketchup, half of the salt and pepper and all the bones. Cook over low heat 30 minutes.

Mix together beef, rice, grated onion, egg and water.

Place about 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture on each cabbage leaf. Tuck in the sides and roll up carefully. Add to the sauce. Cover and cook over low heat 11/2 hours. Add honey, lemon juice and raisins. Cook 30 minutes longer.

Makes 6 servings as a main course.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

If I can find my Hungarian/Polish cookbook I'll post the recipe for you...I'm part Hungarian and my ex was Polish...it's a great book...I'll search

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Quote Originally Posted by avariell View Post
    Martha Stewart is often a great resource for traditional Polish food since she is at least part Polish and her mom was always making Polish recipes on her show. Have you tried googling that? Also, I have a traditional Polish cookbook that I will check in for you, but it won't be TNT.
    This thread got me hungry for some stuffed cabbage. It's been ages since I've made it and so I went with Martha Stewart's recipe.

It was fabulous. We're having leftovers tonight and I can't wait. Thanks for the suggestion.

Here is her recipe:

Stuffed Cabbage
    Serves 8.

2 quarts water
    1 large green cabbage (about 2 1/2 pounds)
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 garlic, finely chopped
    2 cups cooked rice
    8 ounces ground beef
    8 ounces ground pork
    Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
    1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
    1 medium green pepper, grated
    2 celery stalks with leaves, finely chopped
    4 cups tomato puree
    1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
    1/2 cup sour cream, plus more for garnish

Directions
    Using a paring knife, remove center core of cabbage. In a large nonreactive stockpot, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Add cabbage and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until outer leaves are bright green and tender. Lift cabbage from water, and remove outer leaves. Return cabbage to boiling water, and repeat brief cooking and removal of leaves until all leaves are cooked. Reserve 2 cups cabbage cooking water. Trim thick center vein from bottom of each leaf. Reserve four large outer leaves to line bottom of pan.
    In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook until golden and tender, about 8 minutes. In a large bowl, combine onion mixture, rice, beef, pork, salt, pepper, parsley flakes, green pepper, and celery. Stir to combine.
    Add about 1/3 cup rice filling to one cabbage leaf. Fold sides of cabbage over filling, and, starting with the stem end, roll the cabbage up. Repeat with remaining leaves and filling.
    Line a 5-quart Dutch oven with reserved outside leaves. Transfer stuffed cabbage leaves to Dutch oven.
    In a large bowl, combine tomato puree and the reserved 2 cups of cabbage cooking water. Pour some of the tomato sauce over cabbage to almost cover. Sprinkle apple over top of cabbage leaves. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a gentle simmer; cover. Cook for 1 hour or until cabbage is very tender, adding additional tomato sauce as needed.
    Place sour cream in a small bowl, and ladle in about 3/4 cup of tomato sauce from the cooked stuffed cabbage rolls. Whisk to combine. Add sour cream mixture back to Dutch oven, and stir to combine. Serve with additional sour cream.

Copyright 2009 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Sue

Women are Angels
    And when someone breaks our wings, our spirit, or our hearts...
    We simply continue to fly.........
    on a broomstick...
    We are flexible like that ....