Community Message Boards

Thread: Kim Jong Il pardoned the reporters and ordered them released!

Kim Jong Il pardoned the reporters and ordered them released!

I think we all knew this would happen, or Pres. Clinton more than likely would not have been there, but still - great news!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...ton/index.html
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

It is great news! I'm not a fan of Bill clinton but kuddos to him for getting it done.

That is wonderful news. I'm sure their families are breathing a huge sigh of relief. I'm not a huge fan of Mr. Bill either, but he seems to have great diplomatic skills.

Don't worry, I'm sure the majority of the Bill-haters will figure out a way to slam him for this.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

I love me some Bill Clinton and was so glad he was the one to go over there and get them released. Yes, I know it wasn't only him, but still happy.
    Lori

I went to high school with both Laura and Lisa Ling, and am overjoyed that Laura and Euna have finally been released. It's been such a long road for their families, and my heart has been especially breaking for Euna's 4 year old daughter.

President Clinton had a pained look on his face during the whole thing. I know he hated having to be seen with that idiot, but the families of the women must be so grateful that he did it. I definitely respect him for doing it.
    Margaret

Absolutely amazing! The reports on NPR were so touching this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by KristaMB View Post
    I went to high school with both Laura and Lisa Ling, and am overjoyed that Laura and Euna have finally been released. It's been such a long road for their families, and my heart has been especially breaking for Euna's 4 year old daughter.
    I got teary eyed when Michael told Euna that Hanna had been a very good girl.

I'm thankful they're home and appreciate Bill going. I think it made quick work of getting the women home.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Thanks bill

I'm with Lori on this I love Bill!

Thanks for going and doing what had to be done.

Have those Hikers been released from Iran? Maybe he should handle that too..

Thanks Mr. Clinton for your wonderful work. The Girls flew home with Mr. C and Mr. Gore, what a treat to have that company for the trip home.

Wanda

I loved that Laura said as soon as she saw Bill standing there, she knew the ordeal was over. Say what you will about the man. I, for one, would be thrilled to have him do anything on my behalf.

The videos of the women arriving home were so moving.
    TKay

DmOrtega Guest

Fantastic news!

I do have a question though. Does anyone know what actually lead to their being pardoned and released to Bill Clinton?

I could have watched the footage of them hugging their families all day long.

I too, love Bill Clinton but would have been just as happy if George Bush had been standing there. Definitely a moment where partisan issues can be set aside.

DMOrtega, my understanding is that the White House/ Obama administration couldn't get involved but that N. Korea wanted someone of high "standing" involved so Bill Clinton was the man. It's probably more nuanced than that but that's the gist.
    Barbara

Nutella is love! - 9yr old ds

Quote Originally Posted by newtricks View Post
    I too, love Bill Clinton but would have been just as happy if George Bush had been standing there. Definitely a moment where partisan issues can be set aside.
    You are right, of course. I'm just glad they're home and safe. What an ordeal.
    TKay

Quote Originally Posted by newtricks View Post
    I too, love Bill Clinton but would have been just as happy if George Bush had been standing there. Definitely a moment where partisan issues can be set aside..
    I can't stand Bill Clinton, but grateful that he was able to help make this happen. Sometimes you have to forget republican and democrat and just be an American. =)
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Does anyone know if they actually did what they were accused of? I never quite figured that out.

That little girl made me cry like a baby-she was just too precious!
    Karen

No, the hikers (journalists, actually) in Iran have not yet been released.

The Smae Lisa Ling?

I was wondering if Lisa Ling was the same journalist that used to be on the View a few years ago! I sure does look like her.

I appreicate what Pres Clinton did for them, can you imagine if these ladies were your family?

Way to go!

TYPO! Same....sorry

Sorry about my typing!

Quote Originally Posted by Tantegrazie View Post
    I was wondering if Lisa Ling was the same journalist that used to be on the View a few years ago! I sure does look like her.

I appreicate what Pres Clinton did for them, can you imagine if these ladies were your family?

Way to go!
    Laura Ling is the journalist who was released. She is the sister of Lisa Ling from the View.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Terri_A View Post
    I can't stand Bill Clinton, but grateful that he was able to help make this happen. Sometimes you have to forget republican and democrat and just be an American. =)
    I agree with that statement! At a time like this, political parties need to be put aside. Its good to see everyone seems to feel the main thing is the safety of these two women. I'm very happy Clinton was able to go there and bring them home!

Well heck I guess they did cross the border. I'm glad they're home BUT I find it hypocritical that the US told Japan not to confront N Korea on the Japanese that have been kidnapped off Japanese soil and held, yet when it's our citizens we send Bill. And our citizens were not kidnapped they were trespassing.

And I know Bill was there as a private citizen but he had people like Podesta in his entourage.

I'm actually annoyed by the whole thing but I'll stop now.

Lisa Ling: Sister Trespassed into Enemy Territory
    By Stephen M. Silverman
    Originally posted Friday August 07, 2009 01:20 PM EDT

It was professional duty – to research a story on human trafficking – that led Current TV journalist Laura Ling into North Korea on March 17, her sister, TV personality Lisa Ling, said Friday on CNN.

According to Lisa, Laura Ling, 32, admitted to family members that she "very briefly" trespassed into enemy territory with colleague Euna Lee, 36. This led North Korea to detain the two journalists and sentence them to 12 years hard labor, which resulted in an international incident that this week saw former President Bill Clinton meet with North Korea's President Kim Jong Il to arrange the release of the women – who were returned to American soil Wednesday.

"She did say that they touched North Korean territory very, very briefly," Lisa Ling, 35, told CNN on Thursday. "She said that it was maybe 30 seconds, and everything just got sort of chaotic." Adding that Laura has details she will provide, Lisa noted, "It's a very powerful story and she does want to share it."

In a phone conversation with Meredith Vieira that was aired live on Friday's Today" show, Lisa (who, like Vieira, is a former cohost on The View), said it may take Laura some time to tell her tale, given that during her imprisonment she spent weeks not uttering a word.

"Even getting sentences out is challenging, because she's not used to talking as much,” Lisa said of Laura's current condition. "So we're just taking things very, very easy with her."

No Hot Water
    She did say that her sister, who is at home with her family, is enjoying have fresh food again after subsisting on a less-than-adequate diet while under North Korean detention: primarily rice mixed with rocks, small vegetables and fragments of fried fish, "which she developed a reaction to," Lisa told CNN.

"Bathing was a little bit difficult because they didn't have hot water," she also said. "So she would fill up buckets and she would say, 'Okay, on Saturday I'm going to wash my hair.' "

As for those who stood watch over her sister, Lisa said, "I think she won a lot of her captors over. She had some really lovely things to say about the people who were watching her. She had two guards in her room at all times. And even though they couldn't speak together, they developed a sort of strange kinship."

Perhaps the most moving sight as the two women left the plane that brought them to the Bob Hope International Airport in Burbank, Calif., on Wednesday was Euna Lee's embracing her young child Hana. Now that the mother is home, said Lisa Ling, "I hear that Euna's 4-year old daughter does not want her to leave her sight. She keeps following her from room to room." Lisa Ling: Sister Trespassed into Enemy Territory - Lisa Ling : People.com
    Visit my blog at http://www.theglobalkitchen.blogspot.com/
    "A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."

James Beard

Sadly, not everyone is putting Rep/Dem aside. Fox News is blasting Clinton for going there and 'negotiating with terrorists.' They hate Obama's philosophy of actually having a dialogue with other world leaders. So, the bashing never stops.

I wouldn't say Clinton was honestly there as a private citizen. The Obama administration knew there were too many repercussions of anyone from their team going over there for this.

I have similar mixed feelings Krista. I heard a good NPR program (I forget the interviewee), who made a good point that, even if they were trespassing, the N Korea punishment didn't fit the crime. It was still unhumanitarian. I definitely agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post

I have similar mixed feelings Krista. I heard a good NPR program (I forget the interviewee), who made a good point that, even if they were trespassing, the N Korea punishment didn't fit the crime. It was still unhumanitarian. I definitely agree with that.
    I agree the punishment doesn't fit the crime but N Korea and Iran don't have stellar human rights reputations and I think that if you make the decision to violate their borders then you should be responsible for the consequences if caught.

I dunno. If it were me that were arrested then I wouldn't want any concessions to be made with those governments on my behalf. It would suck to be me but I made the choice.

I'm all for dialogue with hostile nations but not under these conditions. It was a propaganda dream for Kim Jong Il.

Another thought that popped into my mind is some of the dialogue from people like the minute men regarding what should be done to people who sneak across our borders. Living in a border state I've heard some pretty violent comments. Food for thought.
    Visit my blog at http://www.theglobalkitchen.blogspot.com/
    "A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."

James Beard