Community Message Boards

Thread: Spinoff Thread: How/where do you eat dinner?

Spinoff Thread: How/where do you eat dinner?

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, but it got me thinking about whether people sit down with their families/SO's to eat dinner. Dinner is the one meal that we do consistently eat together every night. The kids generally eat breakfast and lunch together, but I'm usually up walking around the kitchen, emptying the dishwasher or doing other housekeeping duties, so I'm not really sitting with them, even though I'm in the same room.

I grew up in a house where we had a family dinner. We had 7 people in our family, so to do that every night was a feat, I think. DH and I have always eaten dinner together, so it was not something we started when the kids came along.

DH and I do occasionally (a few times a month) eat our dinner in front of the TV. It is a little treat for us
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

We never eat breakfast together (unless we happen to go out on a sunday) - we eat lunch together on the weekends, and dinner is always together unless one of us has plans.

Where - you have hit on a current hot spot. When we were dating, we always ate at the table with music playing... that eventually morphed to eating on the sofa in front of the tv. I have been frustrated by this recently as when this happens we dont ever have a real conversation during that day (he cant really have a talk in the am due to, well, he isnt very alert ). We talked sunday and decided to change things up a bit. Starting on Monday the tv wasnt even on when he got home - we have a drink and talk. So far when dinner was ready, we decided not to turn on the tv as we were having a nice time.

Fingers crossed we keep this up...
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

It's just me and the hubs, we always eat in the living room, during dinner is about the only time my husband watches TV. In my mind sitting at a dining room table is reserved for bigger family dinners, like at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

We eat at the table in the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by LaraW View Post
    I didn't want to hijack the other thread, but it got me thinking about whether people sit down with their families/SO's to eat dinner. Dinner is the one meal that we do consistently eat together every night. The kids generally eat breakfast and lunch together, but I'm usually up walking around the kitchen, emptying the dishwasher or doing other housekeeping duties, so I'm not really sitting with them, even though I'm in the same room.

I grew up in a house where we had a family dinner. We had 7 people in our family, so to do that every night was a feat, I think. DH and I have always eaten dinner together, so it was not something we started when the kids came along.

DH and I do occasionally (a few times a month) eat our dinner in front of the TV. It is a little treat for us
    A few times a month I get out the linens and good dishes and we eat in the dining room.

Before kids, dh and I used to eat at the coffee table in the living room, usually watching the news.

I grew up in a house where we all sat down to dinner together every night, dh did not.

We all eat dinner together at the table. Before kids, DH and I used to eat in the living room watching TV (and if the kids are both gone sometimes we still do!).

Even with just 4 in our family it is challenging to get everyone together for dinner every night (but we manage it with very rare exceptions), so I can imagine what a feat it must be with a larger family!
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

Our home is also just me & DH. We do eat at the coffee table while watching something on TV (movie, news, Daily Show, whatever). I actually set the coffee table each night w/placemats & napkins. DH teases me :-) But, we also also talk quite a bit throughout the day (we both work from home), so the dinner thing doesn't bug me. If we had no other time to talk, it would be more important conversation time. I 100% refuse to answer the phone during a meal....although I'm willing to watch TV.

During the summer we'll often eat out on the back patio when the weather is nice. I love that!

We sit at the table and eat. It may be the deck or our eating area and no TV.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

We do both... sometimes at the table, and sometimes in front of the tv. Although we always tell the DD that we never ate in front of the tv until she moved in!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

We eat at the kitchen table most of the time. Table on screened porch during the summer. (This is at dinner time.) For special times we do eat in the dining room.

It's just DH and me. For years I insisted we eat at the dining room table - we don't have a kitchen table - as that is the way I was brought up. But over the years I've relaxed and we now eat most of our meals in the living room - unless of course they're messy.

We eat at the dining room table. We don't have a kitchen table and don't have television service (so no reason to eat in the LR). We do generally listen to NPR during meals.
    Silly is you in a natural state, and serious is something you have to do until you can get silly again.
    Mike Myers

Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color...choosing your socks by their character makes no sense and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable. anon

Growing up we always ate dinner at the dining room table, no TV.

If it's just DH and I, we eat in the living room on the coffee table and watch TV.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

We eat as a family, in that we have a dinner time and everyone home sits down at the table for it. Football season screws it up as the kids have practice until 8 PM......when that happens they get a plate in the microwave. Most Friday nights around here are movie and pizza night so that meal is consumed in front of the tv and always referred to as "Dinner Theater".

Both Dh and I grew up in homes where there was a family dinner every night.

Kristi
    co-founder
    Planet Marshmallow
    www.planetmarshmallow.com

We eat at the table and we do not answer the phone during meals. I love it when we are all sitting together, talking, eating and laughing, and I treasure these times with the family.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

I am single so I eat in front of the tv, often with my computer next to me perusing the interwebs. If I had a DBF and/or family I would insist on sometimes eating at the table but would allow the occasional tv dinner.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Growing up we primarily ate dinner at the kitchen table and we weren't allowed to answer the phone.

My sons and I usually eat dinner at the table and unfortunately since it has a TV right by it, they frequently turn it on...but we talk anyways (the tv is more like background noise then the main event). Sometimes they will ask me if they need to eat at the table or can they stay on the computer and ignore me. The answer depends on my mood

Breakfast seldom is served at home and if we are all eating lunch at the same time, it follows the same pattern as dinner.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

We eat a family dinner at the kitchen table most days. During the spring, early summer, and fall we may eat on the screen porch. The dining room table is rarely used except for holidays or company.

Generally, the boys eat breakfast together while I make breakfast/unload the dishwasher/pack lunches. The boys and I eat lunch together either at the pool or at the kitchen table.

Just DH and I now, and we eat on the porch in the summer[that is where all of our family meals are when all the kids and grand kids are here in the summer] and in the winter in the family room in front of the fireplace with the TV on of course.

When the kids were young we ate together every night, but as they became involved with sports that changed.

We generally eat as a family at the table. It is getting harder as the kids get older and are involved in sports. My son is starting football practice soon, and my other son will be playing baseball, so I suspect we might not have many family dinners during the week for the next few months, but we'll get back to it when things calm down.
    Karen

The family sits together at the table and has dinner together almost every night. I love our dinners!

Once oldest DS leaves for college in a couple of weeks I think we will move our dining location to the island (3 stools).

Dinner together is important, I consider it one of my highest priorities to get the family together at least once a day to chat, connect, and have good food. Makes me happy.
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

We eat all meals as a family every day. If the kids are eating breakfast and I'm not, I'll be there anyway. However, having 5 kids, they are always asking for something so I rarely get a chance to sit down before they finish. One asks for juice then another asks for a waffle, then cereal, then fruit. It's like I'm waiting on the kids the entire meal! Same applies to lunch. I'm with the kids as they eat but waiting on them. Dinner, I make it a point to sit with them and eat. If they finish before I get a chance to eat, I make them sit and wait. They all ask to be excused when they're done eating. We only have 1 television and it's not near the dining table. If I hear it on, I tell them to turn it off.

We try to eat dinner each night as a family. Sometimes our eldest DD is at work so she is not at dinner and second DD has practice from 5-7PM Mon-Fri so we try to hold dinner back for her (unless the coach has practice run late, or makes them run laps for forgetting something, or decides that there just has to be a meeting after practice ). We usually eat outside unless it is raining and then it is at the dinning room table. It is very rare that we have the TV on but sometimes we will have background music playing.
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

in our house (4 of us most of the time) we all eat breakfast on the run, grabbing a yogurt or something as we rush to get ready.... On Sundays we do have french toast or scrambled eggs together

We always sit down as a family for dinner (that is when football, soccer, etc. don't mess it up). In summer/fall we eat on our wonderful deck. In winter, we eat at the kitchen table. If my sons are busy at sports practice, etc. then my DH and I watch Jeopardy or some other show during dinner.

We only eat at the dining room table when we have company or for a holiday dinner.
    Keep Calm & Eat More Bacon !!

We are empty-nesters and DH retired. Finally, after all these years, we know that nothing will interrupt our dinner.
    Our "breakfast nook" in the kitchen easily seats four. That's where we have dinner with a beautiful view of back yard & pool The dining room table is only used when we have guests or for special occasions.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

Two kids (3 years and 9 weeks) and we eat dinner together every night. 9 week old typically in the swing but the rest of us at the table.

During the week, DD gets breakfast at daycare and I eat at my desk. On the weekends, breakfast together is hit or miss and I am usually up earlier than everyone else with DS so I eat by myself. DD usually eat breakfast on the weekend with her dad. We even usually sit down and eat lunch together on the weekends too.
    Maria

No kids, and our dining table is my sewing room, so we eat on the couch in front of the tv. We do manage to have so much time to talk during the day that we're pretty much out of conversation by dinner time!
    Grab the guns. I'll make pancakes. ~Sarah Conner