Community Message Boards

Thread: Do you wear socks with Mary Janes?

Do you wear socks with Mary Janes?

I really like these, and ifyou do wear socks, what color would you wear?

I remember they were black patent leather and we wore lace-trimmed white socks. And we also wore hats and gloves!

Honestly, I wouldn't wear socks with those shoes or any Mary Janes, unless I was a little girl. If you need to wear something, I'd go with those little nylon bootie things that can't be seen from the outside of the shoe (kind of like those little socks available at shoe stores, but nicer).

I have a pair of sketcher shoes that are similiar to those in style. I only wear them with pants though and always wear trouser socks with them, you know, like a thicker panty hose material?

I haven't ever worn them with a skirt/shorts/capris but if I did I would wear a bootie type sock like a previous poster mentioned, so my foot would be "protected" but not exposed. In my experience, maybe it's just my feet, but with an enclosed shoe like that if I go bare foot in them they will stink from sweaty feet after a while.

ETA: color of trouser sock I'd wear with those (with pants) would depend on color of pants - black pants, black trouser socks. Tan pants, either a similiar beige of the strap on the shoe or a nude color panty hose knee high. I like to be matchy matchy though!

I remember they were black patent leather and we wore lace-trimmed white socks. And we also wore hats and gloves!
    Me too! except mine were red with a white dress for Easter.

I would want them for winter so I cant go without socks.
    So if I worre tan pants and socks, wouldnt that stick out because of the shoe color?

I would really like to find similar simiar in a lace up but cant. I know Sketchers has them but I cant wearm Sketchers.

Sock knitters wear Mary Janes with their handknit socks because they show them off. But usually with jeans or other long pants and usually in cold weather since the socks are normally some kind of wool blend.
    Margaret

I am in agreement -- sock trousers but ONLY if wearing with pants and also I would probably only wear black socks so that they were more inconspicuous.

I think they make really low "cotton" foot liners now which might be more comfortable than the nylon ones.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

I am in agreement -- sock trousers but ONLY if wearing with pants
    Of coarse!
    drives crazy when people wear socks with their sandals. I just dont want to look like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurielee View Post
    Me too! except mine were red with a white dress for Easter.

I would want them for winter so I cant go without socks.
    So if I worre tan pants and socks, wouldnt that stick out because of the shoe color?

I would really like to find similar simiar in a lace up but cant. I know Sketchers has them but I cant wearm Sketchers.
    If you are wearing red shoes with light colored pants, they are going to stick out anyway -- it's hard to picture unless you were using the red shoes as an accent. I used to do that with shoes -- i.e. wear very vivid colored shoes as an accent. However, khaki - red and then a THIRD color would really break up the line of the leg too much.

You would have to play around to see what looked less discordant but I am having a hard time picturing these with tan pants in the winter -- in the summer with khakis but then I would opt for no sock -- or even a "clear colored so it looked like I wasn't wearing a stocking because I don't really like the feel of bare feet in closed shoes which is why I wear mules most of the time.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

I would not wear socks with those shoes.

Do what makes you and your feet feel comfortable!

To me you would wear these shoes without socks. They look like perfect shoes to wear with shorts, cargo skirts, maybe casual capris. They look like they are trying to have kind of an "athletic" look to them, with the plastic thing on it and the weave on the shoe, so I think socks would look just weird.

It would depend on what I'm wearing with those shoes. If it's a skirt, I'd wear hose, but pants might call for trouser socks.
    Check out www.uofmom.com!

Quote Originally Posted by aggie94 View Post
    I would not wear socks with those shoes.
    What she said.