Community Message Boards

Thread: Tapas

Hybrid View

Tapas

I need some ideas for Spanish appetizers "tapas" for an upcoming wine tasting party my DH and I are hosting. The CL August issue gave me ideas but I would like some more for all of those that can help me out. Heavy appetizers would be the way to go I think. Any Portugese related foods would be appretiated also since the wines the party will revolve around will be Spanish and Portugese....
    Thanks in advance!!!

Michele, I just had a Spanish dinner at my house, and was looking for tapas too.

Do a search of the board for "Spanish", "tapas", "Sangria" and any other word you can think of (like maybe "empanada" too). You will come up with lots of ideas and recipes that have already been posted. And they're good ones! (Oh, and people did post tapas recipes on some of the Sangria threads, etc., so don't discount those threads just because they don't say tapas in the title)

You might also try epicurious or foodnetwork, etc. I got a few ideas from those places too. Good luck, and have a GREAT time!

Also, I know you said you are having a wine tasting, so I don't know if you'll be doing Sangria, but if you do, might I suggest the Sangria recipe that came from Cooks Illustrated - it's posted in one of the old threads. Oh my, that was the absolute HIT of my party!!! Everyone gave it a rating of 13!!!!! I don't even like alcoholic beverages, but this was something I could drink a lot of. YUM!!

Michele, this is from another tapas article in CL (May 98):

GARLIC-SIZZLED MUSHROOMS

1 teaspoon olive oil
    5 cups quartered mushrooms (1 pound)
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    10 garlic cloves, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon beef broth
    dash of black pepper
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add the mushrooms, crushed red pepper, salt and garlic to skillet and saute for 3 min. Reduce heat to medium. Add broth and pepper and cook 5 min. Remove from heat, and sprinkle with parsley. (serves 4)

tracey

Talking Portuguese you say?

I do have some recipes that are traditional Portuguese starters.

Enjoy!

JeAnne

***Lisbon Codfish Balls***
    Bolos de Bacalau à Moda Lisboa

1 box salt cod
    3 potatoes, diced
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 tsp. parsley
    Dash pepper
    Dash nutmeg
    3 eggs, separated
    Vegetable oil for frying

Soak the fish overnight in cold water. Drain and rinse.
    Put the fish and potatoes in a deep pot. Cover with cold water and cook until the potatoes are tender. Drain and mash the fish and potatoes together with the onions, parsley, pepper and nutmeg. Blend in the egg yolks.
    Beat the whites until stiff, but not dry, and fold into the fish mixture.
    Drop by the tablespoonful (no more than 6 or 7 at a time) into hot oil. Fry until the fish balls are brown. Keep them in a warm oven until all of the fish balls are made.
    Drain on paper towels and serve warm.

Yield 15.

***Mom's Fava Beans***

2 to 3 onions, sliced thin
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2 bay leaves
    l lb. chouriço, skinned and broken up
    1 large can crushed tomatoes
    1/2 tsp. crushed hot pepper
    2 TBSP. chopped parsley
    2 cans drained fava beans

Pita triangles or Portuguese rolls

Sauté the onions, garlic, bay leaf and chouriço (Oil isn't necessary since the chouriço is fatty enough!), which will render very quickly.

When the onions have softened, add the crushed tomatoes, hot pepper and parsley. Simmer for 1 hour.

Add the drained fava beans and simmer one-half hour longer.

Serve with pita or portuguese rolls

***Stuffed Mushroom Caps ***

3 lbs. mushrooms
    1 1/2 sticks butter
    1-6 1/2 oz. can crab meat
    1-6 1/2 oz. can shrimp
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1-8 oz. container of Italian bread crumbs
    1 cup mushroom stems, finely chopped
    2 tsp. pepper
    1 cup of diced linguiça

Steam the mushrooms and save the steaming liquid. Remove the stems from the mushrooms and chop to fill one cup. Melt one stick of butter in a large pan. Add the crab meat, shrimp, garlic powder, linguiça, bread crumbs, mushroom stems and pepper. Add enough of the reserved steaming liquid to moisten the stuffing. Simmer on a low flame 5 to 7 minutes. Fill the mushroom caps. Melt the remaining butter and pour over the mushrooms. Bake at 350° for 10 to 15 minutes

Another big starter hit that is pretty traditional is sausage with peppers and onions in sauce served with Portuguese or any other harder dinner roll.

1 TBSP olive oil
    Onions, coarsely chopped
    Garlic
    4 bay leaves
    Linguica or chourico, chopped
    equal amounts hot and sweet sausage
    1/2 cup of dry red wine
    cans of plum tomatoes, chopped
    Chopped Parsley
    Sweet Paprika
    Green and red peppers coarsely chopped

(I left amounts out because it depends how much you make ..email me if you are interested and I will try to be more specific!)

Saute onions, garlic and bay leaves in olive oil until softened. Add linguica or chourico and sautee until browned. Add sausage with red wine and bring to boil. Reduce heat and add remaining ingredients. Simmer for a few hours..the longer the better

JeAnne

I posted a recipe for olives with cumin and paprika in this thread:

http://www.cookinglight.com/vbb/show...+paprika+cumin

I brought a bowl of them to a porch party last summer and heard raves about them from a couple who'd been in Spain a few months ago... they were "just like" ones they'd eaten there, and I had to hand over the recipe.

I can't vouch for their authenticity myself, since I've never been to Spain, and these aren't the heavy tapas that you're looking for, but a bowl of these would be an easy, fabulous accompaniment to anything you decide to serve!

A great, a really simple tapas is to buy a box of puff pastry and some genuine chorizo sausage. Roll out your pastry and use a circular cutter to make a whole bunch of circles. Slice the chorizo sausage about 1/2 inch thick and sandwich between two puff pastry circles - sticking them together with a bit of beaten egg around the edges. Put them on a cookie sheet, a dab of milk/egg on the top circle to give a nice brown look when you throw them in the oven for 10 minutes.

It's the simplest tapas I've ever come across, but yum yum. Make the circles bite size, or at worst, two bites each. I got this recipe out of a book I bought about tapas, written by Penelope Cases, the woman who gave CL all the recipes for the Spanish feature in the last issue.

Thanks for the ideas. If anyone else has additional ideas, keep them coming!!! The party isn't until the end of September so I definitely have time to plan.