Community Message Boards
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: CL re-design : AWFUL!!!!!!!!!

CL re-do = ICK!!!

Friends,

I must agree with the lot of you: I don't care for the "new and improved" Cooking Light magazine design, either. I thought it was just me being nostalgic as I have my/the very first issue ever published, along with many of those from "the good ole' days", but this new version is a disappointment.

I know ads are what keep a publication in business, but really! Between the blown-in cards and the cardboard-like full page ads, it's a nightmare to read. It really IS like the other magazines mentioned previously - again, with no disrespect intended toward them.

And honestly, I don't have the time - even working part-time -to scour every store for seemingly exotic ingredients and then use a minute portion of same. Too costly and what's the point? Give me good, nutritious, interesting meals, please!

CL used to lead the pack when it came to quality publishing and printing, but no more. I may let my subscription lapse at the appropriate time, too. . .sorry, CL!!!

Angry I HATE it!

I haven't been on the boards in a long time, but I had to register my complete and utter dislike of the redesigned CL. As others have said, it looks cheap with it's skinny fonts and borders. It's like those recipes pages they hand out at the store--the ones that tell you how to make a meal out of chipped beef and fat-free cream cheese.

The organization is a mess. It used to be all the non-recipe stuff was in the front, and I liked that. It was the first thing I read when I got the magazine. Now, it's a beauty page here, a beauty page there, and some exercises clear at the back.

I can't read anything. I can tell the editorial from the ads--and that doesn't help the ads because I just don't want to look at it. There isn't a single recipe here that I feel inspired to cook.

I think I have been a subscriber for 13 or 14 years. I have generally rolled with the punches and been happy with the changes that have been put in place during that time. But not with this.

If things don't get better by December, it's bye-bye CL.

I didn't read this thread until today, when I received the September issue and looked through it, and I'm afraid that I agree with the majority of you. Busy, cluttered, and I looked for the recipe index for a few minutes before realizing that they had probably changed that, too. I also don't like those bright circus colors popping out of practically every page.

If I had to sum it up, I would have to say that CL has lost it's "classiness". I also will not be renewing in December if this keeps up.
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

Quote Originally Posted by CookingMahz View Post
    Friends,

I must agree with the lot of you: I don't care for the "new and improved" Cooking Light magazine design, either.
    I'd just like to GET mine! :mad: Sept. 1 is Tuesday, the issue is on the newsstand, but I'm still waiting for my issue to come in the mail.

Just received Sept. today. I don't like to leave the "removable protective cover wrap" on the mag. BUT, I also don't like removing it. Sorry, but rubbing the glue off the mag. makes me sick because the glue looks like boogers. sorry

I am still looking through it. I really don't know what to make of the new look. Trying to flip through it, I had to tear out 4 cards so it would flip better. Don't like those things in any mag.

Re: the index, yes, I liked it in the back, but being older, I do like the larger print of the new index. I am surprised that anything is geared toward people my age. I'm sure it was an accident.

I know that I don't fit into the demographics (sp) that they are trying to reach, but as a long time subscriber, I always have enjoyed the magazine. I will give myself a few more months to get used to the new format and the recipes. I for one am the type of person that really enjoys recipes with a lot of ingredients, and I really enjoy trying new things. So I will have to wait and see if they continue to have what I am interested in also. Hopefully they will have something for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Just received Sept. today. I don't like to leave the "removable protective cover wrap" on the mag. BUT, I also don't like removing it. Sorry, but rubbing the glue off the mag. makes me sick because the glue looks like boogers. sorry

My husband who is in the printing biz calls that glue "elephant snot" or "snot glue"...
    Sue

I'm here with my best friend... my fork!! ~ Paula Deen

If you always keep your head up, you'll never find that lucky penny on the sidewalk.

I'll have to check out the print version - I just took a look at the online version and it seems to look ok - it didn't wow me but it didn't feel cheap.

http://www.cookinglight.com/magazine...0400000053681/
    Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. W. C. Fields

Another one of those "first time on the boards, and I'm complaining" posts. But I've subscribed for almost 15 years and I really wanted to see if others shared my dislike for the new design and I'm glad I'm not alone. Completely agree with those upthread who think the new page layout makes the recipes look like ads. I also have no use for pictures of most recipes--I know what a sandwich or pasta dish is supposed to look like. I am glad to see fewer beauty/health pages, though--I don't expect my cooking magazines to cover that part of life.

I have found over the past year that I pull fewer and fewer recipes out of each issue. New dishes increasingly seem like retreads of previous ones. I've been thinking about letting my subscription lapse and finding a new food magazine, and this pushes me more in that direction.

Hope the editors are listening to this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by sole View Post
    CL's new design is awful! Have you seen it? Totally 70s, cheap-looking, crowded, confusing, and I could go on and on. What were they thinking???
    I got my magazine and I had last month's on my bedstand. It made me scream in frustration. First Bon Appetit's re-design, and now this!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Please make time go backwards and return to the old design.
    I can't possibly agree more. I'm not renewing, I just hated that redesign. I didn't see anything overly interesting in it either, which makes two months in a row..
    ~~Life is a combination of magic and pasta. ~~ Federico Fellini

worst use of italicized type

i'm a designer and i've never seen more awkward looking design in my life. the old design was beautiful, simple, gorgeous. it's kind of a known rule that you never use italicized type for headlines. ever. bad choice. really bad choice. looks totally unprofessional. i've been reading cooking light for about ten years and have always loved it. i may have to stop reading it now because the new design is so distracting and hard to read. there's really no difference between the editorial and the advertising. way too cluttered, loud. it's obnoxious and reminds me of the crappy recipe books you see in the checkout line in the grocery store. i am so disappointed. what happened?

From an older persons point of view, just like almost everything in life, (except AARP) the new format looks like it is geared to the younger people. It has been very hard lately for DH and myself to find a restaurant that doesn't have loud music playing throughout the restaurant. The only reason I can find for that is that they say the younger people like it. So, you younger people, can you handle the "busy" look of the new layout? Does it take a young mind to read it? Is that what is happening here to Cooking Light? Maybe I should turn my sub. over to my 9 (almost 10) year old granddaughter.

Sorry, but I happen to LIKE the new CL. I never read Family Circle so I don't know what people are comparing to.

I like that there are more recipes, food tips, healthy hints, new products, etc.

There is less of other non food related articles, which I like!

I like the recipes list in the front, so I don't have to go backwards to find a recipe. And I feel that Sept. had some of best recipes in awhile.

I am glad I just renewed!!

This may be off the subject a bit but it has to do with the test kitchen. It used to be that you could call the test kitchen and actually talk to a kitchen staffer. If they weren't able to talk at that minute (and that is understandable-one young lady said she had to go to taste test but would call back immediately after) then they would actually call back exactly when they said they would! I called this summer about some recipes and they were very rude. It was like night and day! I hope they remember who pays their salary! It's not me because I will no longer buy this magazine.

I don't like it either. I agree with those who compare it to Family Circle - it looks so cheap. I really liked how clean it used to look, even in comparison with other neat magazines like Real Simple. The content doesn't bother me (though recipes are frequently redundant), but I hate looking at it!
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, unless one has dined well." - Virginia Woolf
    http://whatsinlaurenstummy.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blorkiemom View Post

I have found over the past year that I pull fewer and fewer recipes out of each issue. New dishes increasingly seem like retreads of previous ones.
    I have found that with several cooking magazines that I used to subscribe to. I think, maybe, after many years of subscribing, that is almost inevitable --- i.e nothing new under the sun.

I've got a ways to go on my CL subscription. So, I'll have a few months to decide whether I like the changes or not.

Quote Originally Posted by mgabor858 View Post
    Couldn't tell the difference between articles and advertisements.
    THIS.

I deliberately didn't read this thread before getting the new issue, because I wanted to check it out without any preconceived ideas. And my first thought was, "This is an ad. So is this. Wait, is it? Oh, this one is a CL recipe and this one is an ad." I'm not interested. I already skip over the first 1/3 of the magazine to get to the recipes.
    "Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?" - attorney Bob Loblaw, Arrested Development

"Spend time with your kids so we don't have to" - Florida Dept. of Juvenile Justice bumper sticker

www.nostinkycheese.blogspot.com

Maybe CL redesigned their magazine so someone would start this thread so I would be inspired to go buy one to see what the fuss is all about

I got rid of my subscription long ago - I think the magazine's focus just wasn't and isn't to my taste. I love this community but I have found most of the CL recipes to be completely unappealing (probably because I don't necessarily want a simple recipe with fewer ingredients). I try to only have one food magazine at a time, and Bon Appetit is it for me at the moment, but I am thinking Eating Well might be next in line.
    - Josie

Quote Originally Posted by avariell View Post
    I try to only have one food magazine at a time, and Bon Appetit is it for me at the moment, but I am thinking Eating Well might be next in line.
    I really like the nutrition and other food mfg. articles in Eating Well. I consider myself pretty nutrition savvy, but I usually learn something new in each EW issue.

All of the recipes that I've made have been good, but sometimes I bypass recipes that have ingredients not easily found at my local Publix (which I admit is not the best stocked grocery in the world).

Quote Originally Posted by avariell View Post
    Maybe CL redesigned their magazine so someone would start this thread so I would be inspired to go buy one to see what the fuss is all about

I got rid of my subscription long ago - I think the magazine's focus just wasn't and isn't to my taste. I love this community but I have found most of the CL recipes to be completely unappealing (probably because I don't necessarily want a simple recipe with fewer ingredients). I try to only have one food magazine at a time, and Bon Appetit is it for me at the moment, but I am thinking Eating Well might be next in line.
    I was thinking this too! And I agree with Josie--I have not had a subscription in ages and do not miss it in the least. I tend to vacillate between Bon Appetit and Gourmet and Saveur recently sent me an offer I absolutely could not refuse (3 years for $27) so I am getting that too. I am curious about Food and Wine--anyone have an opinion there?.....
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

FWIW , for those of you who belong to Costco, if you click here http://finecooking.com/costco you can get 1 year of Fine Cooking for $19.95. I took them up on it and let CL run out.
    "When you are in love with someone you want to be near him all the time, except when you are out buying things and charging them to him." Miss Piggy

CL re-design

I am new to this board. Since someone mentioned the many ads in the Sept. issue I decided to count the pages and out of 215 pages there are 100 full pages of advertising. I subcribed to a food magazine not to advertising. I will not renew my subcription in Nov., instead will wait and see if Cl. will make some changes to satisfy us unhappy readers.
    Erna

Do they even read these threads or do you think they're just going to ignore all the dissent against the new design? I have a feeling if they ignore it they're going to lose a lot of subscribers.
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, unless one has dined well." - Virginia Woolf
    http://whatsinlaurenstummy.blogspot.com

I dunno. I just wish I'd GET my subscription before the first of the month. So. I haven't even seen it yet. Not necessarily looking forward to it either, from reading here!
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeK View Post
    I'd just like to GET mine! :mad: Sept. 1 is Tuesday, the issue is on the newsstand, but I'm still waiting for my issue to come in the mail.
    I am still waiting for mine too!

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by drewberry4 View Post
    Do they even read these threads or do you think they're just going to ignore all the dissent against the new design? I have a feeling if they ignore it they're going to lose a lot of subscribers.
    I would like to know that also. It would be nice if we could hear from somebody from CL. They may have a lot of readers that don't even visit this site, but I don't think they have readers that care as much as we do about the magazine.

I finally had the chance to see the new CL design - not that's I've received this month's issue at home yet - when I was waiting in line at the grocery store checkout yesterday. Wow - had I not already read this thread, I honestly would have thought I had picked up the wrong magazine. It definitely has a very Family Circle vibe (and I would say a 1970's Family Circle vibe), and it just seemed so busy. It was very difficult to tell what were the actual recipes and articles and what were the ads.

I have gotten CL as a gift from my mom every year since I got my first apartment. This fall, I may tell her I don't want her to renew it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth H View Post
    It was very difficult to tell what were the actual recipes and articles and what were the ads.

Perhaps this is some new trend in publishing. My DH says the same thing about the new design of Newsweek. You can't tell the content from the advertising.
    "When you are in love with someone you want to be near him all the time, except when you are out buying things and charging them to him." Miss Piggy

HI all--
    Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. We try to keep a pretty hands-off attitude on the boards and let discussions flow freely, but to answer the question raised in a few of these posts, we are indeed listening. Feedback on the redesign is important and valuable to us, and we're paying attention to all of it.

In today's economy the possibility of ANY magazine going bankrupt is very real, and some already have. I'm sure the grade of paper being used and the elimination of the protective cover were cost-cutting measures.

However, the layout, content and the type of recipes is very different and not related.

Has anyone told the CL management how they feel about the recent changes? (Individually, or en masse?) A link to this thread might catch their attention.

Just wondering.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Quote Originally Posted by CLModerator View Post
    HI all--
    Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. We try to keep a pretty hands-off attitude on the boards and let discussions flow freely, but to answer the question raised in a few of these posts, we are indeed listening. Feedback on the redesign is important and valuable to us, and we're paying attention to all of it.
    Thank you, it is nice to know that someone is "listening" to us.