Community Message Boards

Thread: Do I need a new oven or new heating element?

Do I need a new oven or new heating element?

My oven in on the fritz. It is taking an hour to heat up to 350 degrees, at least that is when the light goes out on the controls. I did go get an oven temp reader and the last time I tried to heat it up to 350 and the light went out the gage in the oven only read 250.

How do you know if you need to replace your oven or if you just need to replace the heating element in the oven??

Generally one would call a repair person and then the question would be whether it's worth repairing based on the cost of the estimate and the general condition of the oven.

Depending on the age and condition, it may or may not even be worth seeing what a repair would cost. I'm not sure I would have any interest in fixing a 40 year old electric coil stove if the oven were on the blink versus a Thermador wall oven of relatively recent vintage.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

Quote Originally Posted by Salt View Post
    My oven in on the fritz. It is taking an hour to heat up to 350 degrees, at least that is when the light goes out on the controls. I did go get an oven temp reader and the last time I tried to heat it up to 350 and the light went out the gage in the oven only read 250.

How do you know if you need to replace your oven or if you just need to replace the heating element in the oven??

When you preheat are both elements hot? I don't have a preheat on my current oven but it does take about 15 minutes to heat up to 350ºF. If your oven has a preheat option then both coils should be hot and red (top and bottom).
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Quote Originally Posted by Salt View Post
    It could be something other than the heating element. Bad thermostats are often the cause of oven problems.

If the element is heating fine --just shutting off at the wrong temp, that sounds more like a thermostat issue. That could be a fairly simple repair. If the oven has a lot of electronics, you could be looking at a computer/mother board type issue and a bigger expense.

Part of the question will also depend on how easy it is to get to the part that needs replacement and the labor involved. You then need to balance those cost issues with the age and cost of your oven, the cost of a new oven, the possibility of other issues developing and requiring further repair, the features and benefits you could get with a new oven versus anything special about the old oven and your ability to pay for a new one.

Thanks for your help. I decided to be brave and as soon as I turned the oven on I quickly touched the bottom heating element to find that it wasn't heating up. I picked up the new element from the local appliance store and had DH install it. Everything is working great now. I eneded up spending $40 instead of buying a new oven.