Community Message Boards

Thread: Computer Question - Have I been hacked?

Hybrid View

Computer Question - Have I been hacked?

Is there something a person could install on your computer that would record your keystrokes and they access it from a different location?

Long story short, I let the boyfriend of one of my friends work on my computer back in the spring - it was running slow and certain programs took forever to open. He removed some programs and installed something called Piriform CCleaner, which I as far as I can tell cleans up my computer when I run it every two weeks.

At a later time he asked me out of the blue, with no reason, whether he "had me down" as using Internet Explorer or Firefox (whatever that other browser name is). I answered IE but when I asked him why he wanted to know he wouldn't give me a response - which has concerned me still to this day, what did he need that information for?

I've now had two situations where I am left questioning whether he has accessed information I put in facebook email and yahoo email to two different friends.

So far I've changed the passwords to both of those accounts, and looked under my control panel to see if there are any programs that look odd to me, but I didn't notice any.

I'm still paranoid though, is it possible that he could have installed something on my computer that is logging my keystrokes, and therefore would know what I changed my passwords to?? If so, any suggestions of what I should look for and where I should look for it on my computer would be greatly appreciated!!

Yes -- there is software that records every keystroke. It can be installed at a computer or can be downloaded by a hacker.

I don't know what you can do to check but I bet Gumbeaux will as he's around frequently.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

It's hard to tell if a keylogger has been installed on your computer. Yes, keylogging can be viewed remotely. There are software programs that you can buy to protect yourself against keylogging.

Would that software that prevents detect and/or remove any that's already been installed or just prevent more from being installed?

You mentioned it was hard to tell - is that for your average joe like me or would it be difficult for a professional in the computer repair field too?

I'm not opposed to taking the computer in and having it look at, which is the direction I'm leaning towards, but do want to sound knowledgable about my paranoia when I go in

Thanks for the info!!

It's hard to detect keyloggers because they don't show up on your task bar, programs list or anywhere else. If you take your computer to a shop to look for it they really won't know if something is there or not. That's why anti-keylogging software is made. It recognizes a routine that keyloggers use to record keystrokes and stops it.

Do you have any recommendations of what brand to buy? I did an internet search and found this free download... http://www.anti-keyloggers.com/download.html ....is that safe???