Community Message Boards

Thread: bottom round roast

bottom round roast

do any of the red-meat-gurus know what the heck I can do with this piece of meat? It was cheap so I know it will be pretty tough unless I cook it just right.

Thanks!

I slice it thinly on a bias and stir fry for a number of recipes. It is easier to slice when partially frozen. I don't like to overcook it, so I stir fry and put aside, make the rest of the dish and add the beef back. I even use it this way for beef stroganoff. Round may be dry as a roast but it is a nice lean beef.

I've seen this cut of beef used in Italian beef sandwiches.

It makes nice ground beef also. You can use your food processor to "grind" it or use a meat grinder attachment for your KA mixer. Either way, once it's ground, you can make some lean patties or meatloaves or sloppy joes, or....

Italian Beef rocks

Quote Originally Posted by gperls View Post
    I've seen this cut of beef used in Italian beef sandwiches.
    Here is my recipe. From what I have read the Chicago version is sliced. I have yet to make it that it isn't shreddable.
    ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICHES

3-4 lb. beef roast (I like chuck but rump, Boston are good)
    12 garlic cloves
    1 packet au jus seasoning
    1 packet Good Seasons Italian dressing (Zesty gives more flavor)
    1 small jar pepperocini peppers
    Loaf of crust French bread.
    Make pockets in roast and insert garlic cloves. Season with cracked black pepper. Place in crockpot. Mix remaining ingredients together, including juices from peppers and add to crockpot. Cook all night at 200 or in crock pot. Chill to skim off fat. Depending on texture of meat, slice very thinly or pull into shreds with fork. Slice bread horizontally. Cut into sandwich servings. Reheat meat in juices and serve on buns. Be sure to serve bowls of the juice for dipping.

This is a special treat from the Midwest. The Chicago version is sliced.

It's great for my favorite 500º roast, may seem extreme but it is by far the best way to cook round. The leftovers make amazing French Dip sandwiches. The roast can also be done as pot roast.

500º Eye-of-Round Roast
    The easiest roast you'll ever cook.

Prep: 5 minutes
    Cook: 2-1/2 - 3 hours
    Servings: Serves 4-6

1 eye of round roast (2-3 pounds)

Preheat oven to 500ºF.
    Season roast as desired; place on rack in shallow roasting pan. Do not add water or cover.
    Place roast in the preheated oven and lower temperature to 475ºF. Roast at 475ºF for 7 minutes per pound.
    Turn oven off and let roast sit in oven 2-1/2 hours. DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR DURING THIS 2-1/2 HOUR TIME PERIOD.
    Remove roast and slice thinly.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

My family loves the bottom round roast done in the crockpot. The above recipe is great but another good one is simply a jar of salsa, 1/2 C brown sugar, 1/2 C soy sauce. Let it cook on low for 8 hours or so & I always shred the beef & serve for sandwiches.

I cook them on top of the stove also. Season it and brown it on all sides, then add broth (don't cover it -- about 1/3 up the sides), onions, peppers and other seasonings, cover it and let it simmer for a few hours. Low & slow. If you want, toward the end you an add potatoes and carrots. The whole meal, in one pot.

Makes great leftovers too.

Great suggestions! I ended up going the Italian-beef sandwich route. I used a modified version of the one posted! I used my own Penzey's spices rather than the salad dressing mix. I shredded and served on onion rolls with sauteed onions and melted cheese. For such a cheap piece of meat it was great!

Sneezles, that recipe has been on my radar for a while. It's next on my list!

Thanks again!

Katy

cooking a bottom round roast with a slow low temperature over a long time is what makes this a super cut of beef one heck of a tender chunk of beef. This is one of those recipes that a slow cooker comes in super handy - but it is not necessary by all means - but a crock pot, or a deep and large soup pot with lid will easily suffice.

Thanks