Community Message Boards

Thread: Opened up a package of fresh mozzarella from TJ's a few days ago, gone bad already?

Opened up a package of fresh mozzarella from TJ's a few days ago, gone bad already?

I bought a package of TJ's fresh mozzarella (the small round ones-- name escaping me) on Monday or Tuesday of last week. I just opened the package and whew..... hmmm, that doesn't smell right.

I don't buy fresh mozzarella that often (and when I do, I don't usually have much left over), how long does it typically last.

Thanks.

Unfortunately it doesn't last very long which is why I don't buy it anymore unless I know I'm going to use the whole package up right away. TJ's is good about returns so you can probably take it back if it didn't meet with your expectations.

Do no, I repeat, do not, eat it if you think it's bad. My DH had a horrible bout of food poisoning that was traced to some fresh mozzarella gone bad. Whew.
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

Thanks for the info ---- I opened the package, tasted one, realized it went bad. Ugh.

Yup, turns fast after opening. I use that as my excuse for going through it FAST . Someone gave me Sweet 100s from her garden today, and I have some opal basil in the crisper so I picked up some ciliegine this afternoon. Need to get to work so they don't go bad!
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

The place I buy cheese at told me I should put my mozzarella ball in water and change the water every day. I have still had trouble though when I buy the expensive balls from Italy - maybe they are older? It really annoys me when I dropped 6 dollars for a cheese ball and it goes bad in 2 days. But, I really love fresh mozzarella di bufala.

When I first started buying bocconcini, I was told by those in the know to refrigerate immediately, eat within a couple days and refresh the water EVERY DAY in the meantime.

I've discovered that TJ's cold cuts w/out sodium nitrates and preservatives should also be eaten (or frozen) asap.

"Since bocconcini is a fresh kind of cheese, they are much more perishable than blocks of mozzarella cheese. Bocconcini are best used within a few days of buying them."
    from wisegeek.com

Dolores
    "we can't go 'round measuring our goodness by what we don't do, by what we deny ourselves, what we resist and who we exclude...
    we've got to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create, and who we include."
    Pierre Henri in Chocolat
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.photographybydolores.com

Red face Oops...

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Yup, turns fast after opening. I use that as my excuse for going through it FAST . Someone gave me Sweet 100s from her garden today, and I have some opal basil in the crisper so I picked up some ciliegine this afternoon. Need to get to work so they don't go bad!
    I had some of those little fresh balls packed in water that I just finished off this weekend, after about a week in the 'fridge with no change of water! The water looked a little funky, but didn't smell and the cheese was, well, not as fresh, of course, but not bad. We suffered no ill effects. Since it was from a local factory less than 15 miles away, maybe it was more fresh than something purchased in a chain store?

Anyway, Canice. I used to work with a woman who grew Sweet 100s about 15 years ago. Those were THE BEST cherry tomatoes around. Haven't had any since, or even known anyone or a farmers market vendor to sell them. Sad. (I have a brown thumb, otherwise I might attempt to grow a plant or two....maybe I'll talk to my neighbor, the retired guy who gardens.)
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

I would think that having a local source would make a big difference. It's funny, though: I usually buy from a local producer as well but what I buy pre-packaged at WF is not nearly as good as what I buy in bulk from the same purveyor in cheese stores. I have no idea, but the stuff IS volatile. Mozzarella di bufala even more so; that I pretty much plan on eating in a sitting or 24 hours, whichever comes first .

I just love those little Sweet 100s! They're widely available here in the summer months but I've never had home-grown ones before. I recently made a salad with them, perline mozzarella, Israeli couscous, basil and olive oil and salt. Soo good, and so pretty!

(oops, this one isn't the perline, but the ciliegine. Close enough for government work.)
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    I would think that having a local source would make a big difference. It's funny, though: I usually buy from a local producer as well but what I buy pre-packaged at WF is not nearly as good as what I buy in bulk from the same purveyor in cheese stores. I have no idea, but the stuff IS volatile. Mozzarella di bufala even more so; that I pretty much plan on eating in a sitting or 24 hours, whichever comes first .

I just love those little Sweet 100s! They're widely available here in the summer months but I've never had home-grown ones before. I recently made a salad with them, perline mozzarella, Israeli couscous, basil and olive oil and salt. Soo good, and so pretty!

(oops, this one isn't the perline, but the ciliegine. Close enough for government work.)
    That has to be one of the great things about living in a big cosmopolitan city like San Fran. I envy you your cheese mongers, specialty markets and plethora of choices. I wish we could find fresh mozzarella in our area. We just threw away a very stinky container of moz last night. It got pushed back behind something and didn't get used and even the grocery store stuff is expensive here. It is definitely perishable.
    Trish N.
    Omaha, NE
    "I'm not as sweet as I used to be" Ouiser Boudreaux - "Steel Magnolias" 1989

I bought a large pack of fresh mozz at Sam's Club and just stuck half of it in the freezer. After about a month I opened it up and it was perfect.
    Kim

I recently had some parm/romano blend from TJ's go bad! It had a sell by date on it of Sept. 16th, and last week I took it out of the refrigerator to use and it was speckled with green dots throughout. (It had never been opened) I've bought lots of the cheese - comes in a clear plastic tub from the dairy case - and this is the first time I've ever had mold in it. And I know I've had it a lot longer past the sell by date. I was debating about complaining about it, but not sure I will. How long do you think it shoud be good past the sell by date?
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.