Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with leftover sausage patties?

What to do with leftover sausage patties?

I was sent home with about 20-25 leftover cooked sausage patties after a brunch this AM. I know I could crumble them and freeze for use on pizza later. Any other ideas? Recipes would be appreciated. The only guideline is no egg casseroles. TIA!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Breakfast burritos? You mentioned no egg casseroles, so I'm guessing just cooked eggs is fine.
    Cook some diced or shredded potatoes with some onion and either bell or other pepper, seasoned with some chipotle chili powder, oregano, maybe a bit of cumin if you like it, or coriander until potatoes are cooked through. Stir in some crumbled sausage and heat through. Add in a beaten egg per person and cook til just set.
    Serve with warmed flour tortillas and your choice of goodies: Shredded cheese, salsa, fresh diced tomatoes, cilantro, etc...

Around here, we'd be most likely to freeze them and use them to make sausage biscuits for a quick breakfast.

I agree about the quick breakfasts. Recently I have cooked a week's worth of turkey sausages on Sunday to have for breakfast with an english muffin all week. It has been a fantastic convenience! You could probably even freeze them in the english muffins and reheat in a toaster oven for an extra quick breakfast/meal.

Chopped cooked sausage makes a great addition to omelets if you wanted to do a breakfast for dinner type thing last this week.

You could also make stuffing for pork chops or pork loin or a dressing to serve alongside chicken/turkey/whatever.
    - Josie

I made this recipe a few weeks ago, and loved it. You could crumble up your sausage patties in place of the bulk sausage. And of course, you could skip the fried eggs on top.

I used a tub of fresh salsa from the produce department, rather than making my own.

Chili Sweet Potato Hash with Fried Eggs and Fresh Tomato Salsa

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ipe/index.html
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

Crumbled sausage is good in stuffing/dressing -- with or without nuts or apples added.

I added crumbled sausage to a zucchini corn casserole to make it a heartier meal for my guys. It does have eggs and cheese, so I thought that might not be the kind of thing you would like. I found it from an earlier post, so here it is in case you're interested --

I've made this as-is or with added sausage (one package, crumbled up and precooked, drain, then toss it in with the zucchini).

Zucchini Corn Casserole

2 T butter
    1 large onion, chopped
    4 cups sliced zucchini (4-5 Medium)
    1 garlic clove, minced
    2 T. canned chopped green chilies (or to taste)
    1 16-oz. can cream style corn
    1 C grated sharp cheddar cheese
    5 eggs
    1 T chopped green parsley
    salt and fresh ground pepper
    cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 1 large or 2 medium size casserole dishes with cooking spray. Sprinkle sliced zucchini with salt and set aside 20-30 minutes to remove some of the water. Drain on paper towels.

Melt butter in large skillet and cook onion over med-high heat until soft. Stir in zucchini, garlic, and chilies. Reduce heat to medium and cook until zucchini is tender, about 5 min., stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Add corn, � cup of grated cheese, parsley, eggs, salt and pepper to taste. Turn into dish(es) and top with remaining grated cheese. Bake until set, about 45-50 minutes.

You could also chop it up and freeze it for the next time you make pasta sauce.
    "Auntie, you are a good cooker." ~ My nephew, age 5

I love sausage and potato casseroles! Thinly sliced potatoes, milk, cheese, onions, peppers and crumbled sausage. Yum.
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Quote Originally Posted by oceanjasper View Post
    You could also chop it up and freeze it for the next time you make pasta sauce.
    It sounds as though they are breakfast sausage patties. I guess you could still put them in marinara though! Here are a few i found:

Stuffed Acorn Squash Supreme

Submitted By: DRDEDE
    Photo By: Allrecipes
    Prep Time: 10 Minutes
    Cook Time: 20 Minutes Ready In: 30 Minutes
    Servings: 4

"Acorn squash is partially cooked in the microwave, then filled with turkey sausage, broccoli, cheese, rice, and apples."

Ingredients:
    1 (6 ounce) package broccoli and cheese
    flavored rice mix
    1 pound turkey breakfast sausage
    1 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded 1/2 cup chopped apple
    2 teaspoons crushed coriander seed
    1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Directions:
    1. Prepare rice mix according to package directions; cover, and set aside.
    2. Place squash halves cut side down onto a plate. Cook the squash in a microwave oven for 5 minutes on High, until tender but firm.
    3. In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until evenly browned; drain, and set aside.
    4. In a large bowl, mix together the prepared rice, sausage, apple, and coriander. Stuff each squash half with the mixture.
    5. Cover stuffed squash halves with plastic wrap, and heat in the microwave until squash is cooked through and soft, about 5 minutes. Remove plastic, and top stuffed squash with cheese. Continue to cook until cheese is melted, about 1 minute.

Sausage Mushroom Quiche

Submitted By: Valerie Kasper
    Photo By: May Day
    Prep Time: 20 Minutes
    Cook Time: 30 Minutes Ready In: 50 Minutes
    Servings: 6

"One of the best quiches I have ever had. Delicious and filling. also great for dinner."

Ingredients:
    1 pound small fresh button mushrooms
    1 pound ground pork breakfast sausage
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
    3 eggs 1 cup half-and-half cream
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 (9 inch) unbaked 9 inch pie crust

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Prepare the mushrooms by snipping off the stems. Cut in half if large.
    2. Crumble the sausage in a large skillet, add the mushrooms, cook on medium-high heat until the meat and mushrooms are lightly browned and all the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated. Drain off the grease. Add the parsley.
    3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, adding the cream, cheese and salt. Pour into the mushroom/sausage mixture; blending well. Pour mixture into the pie shell.
    4. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until crust is well browned and the filling is set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
    Last edited by PAMMELA; 09-28-2009 at 08:34 AM.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Kathy,

I have been eating these all school year so far. I made up a double batch and froze them individually. I eat them between the slices of a mini-bagel, or a WW English muffin. These sooo beat a granola bar and yogurt!

-Heather

http://heathersblissfuljourney.blogs...nd-turkey.html

Mini Red Pepper and Turkey Sausage Quiche
    Adapted from Eating Well

Ingredients
    8 oz turkey turkey smoked sausage
    1/2 a large red bell pepper diced
    1/4 cup sliced scallions
    1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
    1 tsp freshly ground pepper
    5 eggs
    3 egg whites
    1 cup milk (I use skim)

Directions

1. Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 325°F. Coat a nonstick muffin tin generously with cooking spray.

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with non-stick spray and add turkey sausage, cooking until browned around the edges, 4-6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Spray the pan again with cooking spray and add the red peppers and cook until softened, 3-5 minutes. Transfer red pepper to the bowl with the sausage. Let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in scallions, cheese, and pepper.

3. Whisk eggs, egg whites and milk in a medium bowl. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of the sausage mixture into each cup.

4. Bake until the tops are just beginning to brown, 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Place a rack on top of the pan, flip it over and turn the quiche out onto the rack. Turn upright and let cool completely.

Makes 1 dozen mini quiche

Cooking Tips (By Eating Well)
    Individually wrap in plastic and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat, remove plastic, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on High for 30 to 60 seconds.
    Finally blogging again at http://www.heathersblissfuljourney.blogspot.com/ Updated 1/4/12

crumble it into scalloped potatoes or corn chowder, or potato soup.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Several of them look like good possibilities. The sausages are currently in the freezer, but I am planning to use them up this weekend when time is short and I need a quick meal. I'll try to remember to report back. Thanks again!
    kathyb

Quote Originally Posted by Hammster View Post
    Breakfast burritos? You mentioned no egg casseroles, so I'm guessing just cooked eggs is fine.
    Cook some diced or shredded potatoes with some onion and either bell or other pepper, seasoned with some chipotle chili powder, oregano, maybe a bit of cumin if you like it, or coriander until potatoes are cooked through. Stir in some crumbled sausage and heat through. Add in a beaten egg per person and cook til just set.
    Serve with warmed flour tortillas and your choice of goodies: Shredded cheese, salsa, fresh diced tomatoes, cilantro, etc...
    We had this for lunch today, and it was perfect. After a very busy morning, it went together quickly, was filling and quite tasty. Thanks for the great suggestion!
    kathyb

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy B View Post
    We had this for lunch today, and it was perfect. After a very busy morning, it went together quickly, was filling and quite tasty. Thanks for the great suggestion!
    Very cool. Glad you enjoyed it.