Community Message Boards

Thread: America's Test Kitchen - Beef Stir Fry Recipe

America's Test Kitchen - Beef Stir Fry Recipe

I watched a recent episode in which they did two stir fry dishes -- one was a beef stir fry and the other a Lo Mein.

Boy was I PISSED when I found out that there were no recipes on-site at the episodic guide. I thought posting recipes was de rigeur for any cooking program on television.

At any rate, does anyone have the recipe -- It looked good.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

No recipe but I'd love to get it also.
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

Quote Originally Posted by helene View Post
    No recipe but I'd love to get it also.
    I assumed that putting the recipes cooked was the quid pro quo for being broadcast. I am almost certain that at one time they posted recipes for the current episodes -- but not didn't have access to the older recipes.

Meatloaf

Would actually need more info to find the recipes...name of episode or name of recipes.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Don't you have to pay on that site?

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post

Yes, and I do subscribe there rather than getting the magazine. Would gladly post if I had more info...
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

THanks -- It was the Let's Do Chinese from this season -- all the recipes look great. I really thought the current season had the recipes posted.

The Teriyaki Beef with Shiitakes and the Lo Mein were on the episode but the tangerine beef looks intriguing.

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/e...=252&iSeason=9

Meatloaf

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    I subscibe, hopefully these links will take you to the recipes.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/reci...asp?docid=6650

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/reci...sp?docid=16867

Thanks but unfortunately it brings me to a smiling picture of Kimball soliciting money for a subscription.

Meatloaf

blaze- it looks like you can register for free to access the recipes that are on the tv show you mentioned.
    - Josie

once i registered for free i got the recipe:

Teriyaki Stir-Fried Beef with Green Beans and Shiitakes
    from the Episode: Let's Do Chinese

You can substitute 1 tablespoon white wine or sake mixed with 1 teaspoon sugar for the mirin.

Serves 4 as a main dish with rice
    4 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 tablespoons sugar plus an additional 1 teaspoon
    12 ounces flank steak , cut into 2-inch wide strips with grain, then sliced across grain into 1/8-inch-thick slices
    1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
    1 tablespoon mirin
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    3 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 tablespoon)
    1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    8 ounces shiitake mushrooms , wiped clean, stemmed, and cut into 1-inch pieces
    12 ounces green beans , ends trimmed and halved
    1/4 cup water
    3 scallions , cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces, white and light green pieces quartered lengthwise

See Illustrations Below: Browning Meat for Stir-Fries

1. Combine 2 tablespoons soy sauce and 1 teaspoon sugar in medium bowl. Add beef, toss well, and marinate for at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour, stirring once. Meanwhile, whisk remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, broth, mirin, pepper flakes, and cornstarch in medium bowl. Combine garlic, ginger, and 1 teaspoon oil in small bowl.

2. Drain beef and discard liquid. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add half of beef in single layer, breaking up clumps. Cook, without stirring, for 1 minute, then stir and cook until browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer beef to clean bowl. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in skillet and repeat with remaining beef. Rinse skillet and dry with paper towels.

3. Add remaining tablespoon oil to now-empty skillet and heat until just smoking. Add mushrooms and cook until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add green beans and cook, stirring frequently, until spotty brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add water and cover pan; continue to cook until green beans are crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Uncover skillet and push vegetables to sides to clear center; add garlic-ginger mixture to clearing and cook, mashing with spatula, until fragrant, 15 to 20 seconds. Combine garlic-ginger mixture with vegetables. Return beef and any juices to skillet, add scallions, and stir to combine. Whisk sauce to recombine, then add to skillet; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 30 seconds. Serve.
    - Josie

Quote Originally Posted by avariell View Post
    blaze- it looks like you can register for free to access the recipes that are on the tv show you mentioned.
    Not really as they require me to give them a credit card number so they can start billing. I know that I can cancel but on principle I think any recipe appearing on a PBS show should be on-line for at least the season the episode is aired.

I realize this is off topic but I can't think of any cooking show that doesn't provide the recipe because otherwise it becomes essentially a complete marketing device to buy their products and ceases to have any functionality.

Meatloaf

I didn't give them any cc info at all. All they asked for was an email address, and accepting the trial offer of the magazine was optional. I clicked the "no" option and proceed and voila - no personal information other than my junk email address given to ATK. I think maybe you are just not seeing the section I am talking about...
    - Josie

Pork Stir-Fry with Noodles (Lo Mein)
    http://www.americastestkitchen.com/r...5144&iSeason=9

Use a cast-iron skillet for this recipe if you have one—it will help create the best sear on the pork. When shopping for Chinese rice wine, look for one that is amber in color; if not available, sherry wine may be used as a substitute. If no hoisin sauce is available, substitute 1 tablespoon of sugar. If boneless pork ribs are unavailable, substitute 1 1/2 pounds of bone-in country-style ribs, followed by the next best option, pork tenderloin. Liquid smoke provides a flavor reminiscent of the Chinese barbecued pork traditional to this dish. It is important that the noodles are cooked at the last minute to avoid clumping. See below for information on buying noodles.

Serves 4
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 tablespoons oyster sauce
    2 tablespoons hoisin sauce (see note)
    1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
    1/4 teaspoon five spice powder
    1 pound boneless country-style pork ribs , trimmed of surface fat and excess gristle and sliced crosswise into 1/8-inch pieces (see note)
    1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    2 medium garlic cloves , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
    2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
    4 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
    4 tablespoons Chinese rice cooking wine (Shao-Xing) or dry sherry (see note)
    1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms , stems trimmed, caps cut in halves or thirds (about 3 cups)
    2 bunches scallions , whites thinly sliced and greens cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
    1 small head Napa or Chinese cabbage , halved, cored, and sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch strips (about 4 cups)
    12 ounces Chinese egg noodles (fresh) or 8 ounces dried linguine (see note)
    1 tablespoon Asian chile garlic sauce

See Illustrations Below: Noodles for Lo Mein

1. Bring 4 quarts water to boil in Dutch oven over high heat.

2. Whisk soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, and five-spice powder together in medium bowl. Place 3 tablespoons soy sauce mixture in large zipper-lock bag; add pork and liquid smoke, if using. Press out as much air as possible and seal bag, making sure that all pieces are coated with marinade. Refrigerate at least 15 minutes or up to 1 hour. Whisk broth and cornstarch into remaining soy sauce mixture in medium bowl. In separate small bowl, mix garlic and ginger with 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil; set aside.

3. Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in 12-inch cast-iron or nonstick skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add half of pork in single layer, breaking up clumps with wooden spoon. Cook, without stirring, 1 minute. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons wine to skillet; cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is reduced and pork is well coated, 30 to 60 seconds. Transfer pork to medium bowl and repeat with remaining pork, 1 teaspoon oil, and remaining 2 tablespoons wine. Wipe skillet clean with paper towels.

4. Return skillet to high heat, add 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, and heat until just smoking. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until light golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Add scallions and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until scallions are wilted, 2 to 3 minutes longer; transfer vegetables to bowl with pork.

5. Add remaining teaspoon vegetable oil and cabbage to now-empty skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until spotty brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Clear center of skillet; add garlic-ginger mixture and cook, mashing mixture with spoon, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir garlic mixture into cabbage; return pork-vegetable mixture and chicken broth-soy mixture to skillet; simmer until thickened and ingredients are well incorporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.

6. While cabbage is cooking, stir noodles into boiling water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until noodles are tender, 3 to 4 minutes for fresh Chinese noodles or 10 minutes for dried linguine. Drain noodles and transfer back to Dutch oven; add cooked stir-fry mixture and garlic-chili sauce, tossing noodles constantly, until sauce coats noodles. Serve immediately.

you're welcome.
    - Josie

Here's another one from Let's Do Chinese:
    Dell

Stir-Fried Beef with Snap Peas and Red Peppers

Serves 4 as a main dish with rice 2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 tablespoon sugar plus an additional 1 teaspoon
    12 ounces flank steak , cut into 2-inch wide strips with grain, then sliced across grain into 1/8-inch-thick slices
    2 tablespoons dry sherry
    1/4 cup oyster sauce
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    3 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 tablespoon)
    12 ounces sugar snap peas , ends trimmed and strings removed (about 4 cups)
    1 medium red bell pepper , seeded and cut into 1/4-inch slices
    2 tablespoons water

1. Combine soy sauce and 1 teaspoon sugar in medium bowl. Add beef, toss well, and marinate for at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour, stirring once. Meanwhile, whisk remaining tablespoon sugar, sherry, broth, oyster sauce, and cornstarch in medium bowl. Combine garlic, ginger, and 1 teaspoon oil in small bowl.

2. Drain beef and discard liquid. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add half of beef in single layer, breaking up clumps. Cook, without stirring, for 1 minute, then stir and cook until browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer beef to clean bowl. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in skillet and repeat with remaining beef. Rinse skillet and dry with paper towels.

3. Add remaining tablespoon oil to now-empty skillet and heat until just smoking. Add snap peas and bell pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables begin to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add water and continue to cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Push vegetables to sides of skillet; add garlic-ginger mixture to clearing and cook, mashing with spatula, until fragrant, 15 to 20 seconds. Combine garlic-ginger mixture with vegetables. Return beef and any juices to skillet and stir to combine. Whisk sauce to recombine, then add to skillet; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 30 seconds. Serve.

One more I found in the series.

Stir-Fried Red Curry Beef and Eggplant

Serves 4 as a main dish with rice
    2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons light brown sugar plus an additional 1 teaspoon

1 tablespoon fresh lime juice from 1 lime

3 tablespoons coconut milk

1 tablespoon fish sauce

1 teaspoon cornstarch
    1 1/2 teaspoons red curry paste
    1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 6 cups)
    2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
    Lime wedges , for serving (optional)

1. Combine soy sauce and 1 teaspoon sugar in medium bowl. Add beef, toss well, and marinate for at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour, stirring once. Meanwhile, whisk remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, lime juice, chicken broth, coconut milk, fish sauce, and cornstarch in medium bowl. Combine garlic, curry paste, and 1 teaspoon oil in small bowl.
    2. Drain beef and discard liquid. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add half of beef to skillet in single layer, breaking up any clumps. Cook, without stirring, for 1 minute, then stir and continue to cook until beef is browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer beef to clean bowl. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in skillet and repeat with remaining beef. Rinse skillet clean and dry with paper towels.
    3. Add remaining tablespoon oil to now-empty skillet and heat until just smoking. Add eggplant and cook, stirring frequently, until browned and no longer spongy, 5 to 7 minutes. Push eggplant to sides of skillet to clear center; add garlic-curry mixture to clearing and cook, mashing with spatula, until fragrant, 15 to 20 seconds. Stir to combine garlic-curry mixture with eggplant. Return beef and any accumulated juices to skillet and stir to combine. Whisk sauce to recombine, then add to skillet along with basil leaves; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened and evenly distributed, about 30 seconds. Transfer to serving platter and serve, passing lime wedges separately if using.

Step-by-Step: Browning Meat for Stir-Fries
    Problem: Cooking the meat in one large batch causes it to steam in its own liquid. The meat will be chewy, dry, and gray.
    Solution: Cooking the meat in two smaller batches allows it to brown quickly without drying out or becoming tough.

THanks for posting -- I will have to recheck the link to see why mine needed a CC to complete.

Meatloaf

I ended up making the pork lo mein and really liked how it turned out. I think next time I would leave out the 5 spice powder, but other than that, pretty nice dinner.

Coincidentally I made the Teriyaki Beef and it was really quite tasty -- and very simple as I did the ginger/garlic combo and prepped the veggies earlier in the afternoon -- and it wasn't a ton of prep anyway.

I used top sirloin as I had some frozen and chili garlic sauce instead of red pepper flakes but otherwise made per the recipe. I suspect the top sirloin has a nicer texture as my meat was almost "buttery".

It was a pretty good home cooked "Chinese" dish.

Meatloaf

Quote Originally Posted by Kerri View Post
    I ended up making the pork lo mein and really liked how it turned out. I think next time I would leave out the 5 spice powder, but other than that, pretty nice dinner.
    That looks yummy!
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

Why aren't these recipes in the cookbook? I have the Complete ATK TV show cookbook and I only found one of the recipes that were posted on this thread in the book. There are several stir fry recipes and I haven't looked up each recipe posted here yet.
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

There are 2 different things you can sign up for on the website.

One is the *free* trial of cooksillustrated.com that wants a credit card from you so they can charge you after 14 days.

The second is for free sccess to the current seasons recipes. The sign-up is located in the middle of the page at this website:

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/

After yous sign in, if you go to 'Episodes' on the left hand side of the screen, it'll bring up the episode guide. I just did it and it lets me see all the recipes from Season 8 and the current season. From Season 7 down I need to subscribe to the paying membership.

Works the same way for Cook's Country too.
    Maria

Here is the tangerine one

Tangerine Stir-Fried Beef with Onions and Snow Peas

Two to 3 oranges can be substituted for the tangerines. If available, substitute 1 teaspoon toasted and ground Sichuan peppercorns for the red pepper flakes.

Serves 4 as a main dish with rice 4 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 tablespoon light brown sugar plus 1 additional teaspoon
    3/4 cup tangerine juice plus 1 teaspoon grated zest from 3 to 4 tangerines
    1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    3 medium garlic cloves , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 tablespoon)
    1 tablespoon black bean sauce
    1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (see note above)
    1 large onion , halved and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
    10 ounces snow peas , ends trimmed and strings removed (about 4 cups)
    2 tablespoons water

1. Combine 2 tablespoons soy sauce and 1 teaspoon sugar in medium bowl. Add beef, toss well, and marinate for at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour, stirring once. Meanwhile, whisk remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, remaining tablespoon sugar, tangerine juice, sesame oil, and cornstarch in medium bowl. Combine tangerine zest, garlic, ginger, black bean sauce, pepper flakes, and 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in small bowl.

2. Drain beef and discard liquid. Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add half of beef in single layer, breaking up clumps. Cook, without stirring, for 1 minute, then stir and cook until browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer beef to clean bowl. Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in skillet and repeat with remaining beef. Rinse skillet and dry with paper towels.

3. Add remaining tablespoon vegetable oil to now-empty skillet and heat until just smoking. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add snow peas and continue to cook until spotty brown, about 2 minutes longer. Add water and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Push vegetables to sides of skillet; add zest-garlic mixture to clearing and cook, mashing with spatula, until fragrant, 15 to 20 seconds. Combine zest-garlic mixture with vegetables. Return beef and any juices to skillet and stir to combine. Whisk sauce to recombine, then add to skillet; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 30 seconds. Serve.
    Maria