Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canned Pearl Onions- Need some: Help!!

Canned Pearl Onions- Need some: Help!!

Hi all. For years, My Mother in Law has made her famous "creamed cheesy pearl onion casserole" for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Now that she is older, I am the one who has taken over hosting those holidays. It is a REQUIREMENT that I make her onion casserole. everyone loves it, and it does not seem like the holidays without it.

Her Creamed Onion casserole involves using a couple cans of Diamond Brand Pearl Onions. But last year-- for the first time-- none of the stores in the Seattle area carried the canned pearl onions. Horrors! I looked everywhere!

I tried fresh pearl onions for Turkey day. They were a "bear" to peel, etc. and the family said "no, this is NOT the right casserole- does not taste right". So at Xmas, I tried the frozen pearl onions... and the family said "no, this is NOT the right casserole-does not taste right". My mother in law was so upset that I did not carry on with her "correct" casserole.

So HELP! My grocer said he MIGHT be able to order them this year, but he needs an address, a website, or a phone number for Diamond - I tried to google same and came up with nothing. I am sure that the brand was Diamond (or Maybe Diamond A)-- the can was purple or lavendar.

Does anyone have a can on hand? Or would someone look to see if your grocery store actually stocks said item? If so-- can you PLEASE let me know a phone no., an address, or a website from the can?

OR: would anyone be willing to SEND me 5 or 6 cans? and I would send you $$$ first.

I NEED to have the "right onions" this year for the traditional onion casserole to make my family happy.

Thank you so much for any help on this......
    Keep Calm & Eat More Bacon !!

I don't know if I've ever seen Diamond brand. You said you tried fresh and frozen. Have you tried another brand of canned pearl onions?? Or, have you not found another brand?

That I know of or ever saw, there is only one brand of canned pearl onions.... bummer. Maybe someone knows of another brand. But my local stores carry none.

Thanks

I have never heard of canned pearl onions, but I would be happy to look and see what my stores have when I go shopping and let you know.

I've never seen canned onions either, but did find these:

http://www.americanspice.com/catalog...51c843dc414844

And these
    http://www.shopolives.com/shop/index...d&productId=35
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

I will definitely check my local stores for you the next time I grocery shop.

Back to add: after a quick google search, I have seen several references to Diamond Brand Pearl Onions in recipes, so it seems like you have the brand name correct.
    - Josie

No idea if this is the right company, but it is worth a shot:

Diamond Onion Inc

Address:
    4924 Woodall St
    Dallas, TX 75247
    Phone:
    214-741-3901
    Company Information:
    Wholesale produce.

http://www.careersingrocery.com/inde..._Onion_Inc.htm
    - Josie

Can we get the recipe please? Can probably get away with frozen pearl onions since we don't know what it tastes like with the Diamond!

Thanks so much!!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Thanks all for the info and help offered for this "dilemma". I appreciate it, and I will follow through with the info/links I got from a few of you. Here is the recipe.. pretty simple as it really is just pearl onions covered in a white sauce with cheese. It was one of my MIL's traditional side dishes for ALL holiday meals for decades and the family loves it . I do too......, here goes:

Mother In Law's Creamed Onions
    2-3 ea. 15 oz. cans of Pearl Onions, drained**
    (**Save about 1/4 cup Onion liquid from one can)

*(Note: I can no longer find the canned onions. Frozen pearl onions were too crunchy for us as were the fresh, which took a long time to peel, etc.. Some people use Jarred pearl onion---the only ones I found in a jar were pickled, and a "pickled flavor" is not what you want in this dish. The canned onions were actually very soft like most canned veggies are and very mild tasting).

1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup flour
    3/4 cup milk -OR- milk + cream to equal 3/4 c.
    1/4 cup liquid from one can onions
    Pinch of Nutmeg
    Optional: Splash of Sherry or Brandy
    1/4 to 1/2 cup grated Fresh Parmesan Cheese
    1/3 tp 1/2 cup grated Sharp Cheddar cheese (or cheese
    of your choice)

Put drained onions in an oven proof dish or pie plate.
    Make the white sauce with the butter and flour, (melt butter, stir in equal amount of flour) stirring for a few minutes to "cook out" the raw flour flavor. Add the milk or cream gradually (and the onion liquid) stirring often, until sauce is thick and lump free.
    Add Parmesan cheese and nutmeg. (also add sherry or brandy now, if adding). Stir to blend.
    Pour sauce over onions in baking dish. Cover with grated Cheddar.
    Bake at 325 deg. F. for about 30-45 minutes til bubbly and hot. If desired, broil briefly to get the top golden.

Quote Originally Posted by avariell View Post
    I will definitely check my local stores for you the next time I grocery shop.

Back to add: after a quick google search, I have seen several references to Diamond Brand Pearl Onions in recipes, so it seems like you have the brand name correct.
    Josie, I will be at Meijer tonight and will look there. I wish I had seen this thread yesterday before going to Giant Eagle.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

You say the fresh and frozen were too hard, maybe you should parboil them before using.
    I am saving the recipe - but definitely don't want to use fresh onions - I've tried peeling them.

I use what I thought were canned pearl onions a few times a year, love them in my pot roasts.

I will check my stores for you

Laurie

I make creamed onions every year for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I use the pearl onions in a glass jar (drained). You should be able to find those easily in the canned vegetable section of your grocery store. They will be very similar to the canned. Good luck!

The ONLY pearl onions in a Jar that we have in the Pac NW, are ones that are Pickled (for cocktails, etc.) in vinegar.

Tried to use those, rinsing off the vinegar, but they were awful. For some reason, none of the chains here sell "regular" pearl onions in a jar........

If someone could give me a brand name, and/or a phone No. for that company or website-- my local grocer said he would order for me.

Thanks !

Aunt Nellie's Whole Onions

I have the same problem locating canned pearl onions in my area. I need them for recipe I got out of Family Circle magazine 31 years ago. Google search turned up the following site, http://www.senecafoods.com/store/index.html, where for $14.00 plus UPS ground shipping (another $17.70 to my address in California, total cost $31.70) you can order a case,12 jars, of the hard to find onions. Same item also for sale at www.buythecase.net for similar total cost ($26.28 plus $4.99 handling for total $31.27).

Baked Chicken That Makes Its Own Gravy
    (Carnation Evaporated Milk - 1964 label recipe)

3 to 3 1/2 # frying chicken pieces
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 cup melted butter
    2/3 cup undiluted Carnation Evaporated Milk
    1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
    1 cup (4 oz) grated process American cheese
    1/2 t. salt
    1/8 t. pepper
    2 cups (1-# can) drained whole onions
    1/4 # sliced mushrooms
    Dash paprika

Coat chicken with flour. Arrange chicken in single layer with skin down in melted butter in 13x9x2" baking dish. Bake uncovered in 425 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Turn chicken and bake until brown, 15-20 minutes longer, until tender. Remove from oven and reduce temperature to 325 degrees. Pour off excess fat.

Combine Carnation, soup, cheese, salt, and pepper. Add onions and mushrooms to chicken. Pour Carnation mixture over chicken. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover dish with foil. Return to oven for 15-20 minutes. Serves 6

from FAMILY CIRCLE, 10/23/78, pg. 47, “Great Recipes”

Since the company shown above is in Dallas, I thought they might have a greater chance of showing up around here. I had DH check one store today and I will check 2 or 3 others for you.

In a convenience store near me, I saw jars of pearl onions this morning. They did not have vinegar in them. Actually, they had recipes on the back and one of them was for creamed onions. The brand was Hanover O & C.

I must add...the jars looked like they had been there since the dawn of time, and they did not have a website or contact number. I will try to Google them and see if they still exist.

Ok...they seem to have them on NetGrocer.
    http://www.netgrocer.com/pd/Netgroce...00166159/2D462

I love the idea that all over the country, people are looking at pearl onions in jars and for cans of them. A sudden surge in interest in pearl onions all because of this thread!

Good luck. The recipe sounds really good! I hope you find what you are looking for.
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Missi View Post
    I love the idea that all over the country, people are looking at pearl onions in jars and for cans of them. A sudden surge in interest in pearl onions all because of this thread!

Good luck. The recipe sounds really good! I hope you find what you are looking for.
    LOL...I asked some friends of mine who are giant internet geeks (like myself) to google around for me too We probably created a google trend.

I checked a local Kroger with no luck this morning.
    - Josie

The store I checked was a Kroger too. We also have Randall's (part of the Safeway network) and they carry some things the other stores don't. Then there is HEB and I have a few things that I buy there that I cannot get elsewhere. It doesn't sound like something Hubbell & Hudson would have, but I will check there too.

Is this a logical solution? Probably not. But it is something that I, personally, would do out of desperation. S&W brand makes a canned peas and pearl onion product. I would probably buy 8-10 cans and fish out all the pearl onions and cream them. That just the kind of person I am. But the peas wouldn't go to waste because my mom taught me to cream those, too.
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

Woo Hoo! Success! First of all, THANK YOU so much to all of you for googling, and looking at stores, etc. I sooo appreciate it. A friend of mine went out of town to New Mexico (Albuquerque and Santa Fe) and looked at a few stores, and brought me back two jars of Aunt Nellies brand pearl onions! WOW! It even has the recipe on the back of the jar for the holiday creamed onions........ ( and the recipe for the chicken and gravy from Family Circle sounds great-- Thanks Samantha! )

Thanks to you all. I got such a chuckle from Susan-- about buying many cans of peas with pearl onions, just to fish out the onions..... Had I not scored the jars today, I might have done just that!@

Also it is funny----all over the USA, there is going to be a run on jarred onions, or people asking about them!@ How funny... Also, it is strange. Campbell's soup stopped selling the Creamed Onion in my state.. but they still sell it in New Mexico, so my friend brings me a couple cans of that too (My Mother in Law's meatloaf smothered in the Creamed Onion soup... my husband's fave so I have to make it the way his Mom did...)

Thanks everyone! I do appreciate everyone's efforts on my behalf! What a group of nice people.... I am so happy I can make my onions.

I'm late to reply to your original thread but I checked 2 store in Northern Minnesota and there was not a canned pearl onion to be found. Lots in jars and frozen though. I'm glad you found something that will work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Litehouse9 View Post
    Woo Hoo! Success! First of all, THANK YOU so much to all of you for googling, and looking at stores, etc. I sooo appreciate it. A friend of mine went out of town to New Mexico (Albuquerque and Santa Fe) and looked at a few stores, and brought me back two jars of Aunt Nellies brand pearl onions! WOW! It even has the recipe on the back of the jar for the holiday creamed onions........ ( and the recipe for the chicken and gravy from Family Circle sounds great-- Thanks Samantha! )

Also it is funny----all over the USA, there is going to be a run on jarred onions, or people asking about them!@ How funny... Also, it is strange. Campbell's soup stopped selling the Creamed Onion in my state.. but they still sell it in New Mexico, so my friend brings me a couple cans of that too (My Mother in Law's meatloaf smothered in the Creamed Onion soup... my husband's fave so I have to make it the way his Mom did...)

Thanks everyone! I do appreciate everyone's efforts on my behalf! What a group of nice people.... I am so happy I can make my onions.
    I find this totally fascinating about business/branding/marketing. I"m pretty sure Aunt Nellie's "brand" started in Oconomowoc, Wis. About 40 miles west of Milwaukee. I thought the label was purchased by Kraft, but I guess I'm mistaken, because a Google search showed it as part of the Seneca food group, which included the Festal brand, among others.

Long story short -- my Wis. born parents moved to Colorado 30 years ago, found kindred spirits from Wis., and one of them waxed about Aunt Nellie's bean salad. I can't tell you how many jars of bean salad I transported from Milwaukee to Denver in those years...and then it disappeared from the shelves.

Glad you found your onions! I'm on a mission to find them myself!
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

I'm glad you found them and Thanksgiving will be complete for your family this year. I will still be looking for them on the shelves here -- how can I not now?

Me too. You might be ok for Thanksgiving, but unless your friend is planning on going back to New Mexico for Christmas, what will you do then??

I found a blog that had a recipe for creamed Diamond Pearl onions. I wrote to him regarding your dilemma and received this response.

jdixon@realgoodfood.com

I was reading your blog and came across the recipe for
    your creamed onions. I was wondering if you could tell
    me where you buy these onions? Thanks, in advance!
    Joyce
    His response:
    In Portland I can usually find them at Fred Meyers stores. I've had reports that canned onions are getting hard to find.Jim
    Just to let you know that I googled everything I could think of and could find nothing. Wishing you good luck in finding your onions!
    Last edited by jmarie; 10-12-2009 at 09:29 AM. Reason: To add: Oops...I see you found some onions! Congratualtions!
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Quote Originally Posted by JackieO View Post
    I find this totally fascinating about business/branding/marketing. I"m pretty sure Aunt Nellie's "brand" started in Oconomowoc, Wis. About 40 miles west of Milwaukee. I thought the label was purchased by Kraft, but I guess I'm mistaken, because a Google search showed it as part of the Seneca food group, which included the Festal brand, among others.

Long story short -- my Wis. born parents moved to Colorado 30 years ago, found kindred spirits from Wis., and one of them waxed about Aunt Nellie's bean salad. I can't tell you how many jars of bean salad I transported from Milwaukee to Denver in those years...and then it disappeared from the shelves.

Glad you found your onions! I'm on a mission to find them myself!

JackieO: I think I saw Aunt Nellie's Bean salad in one store or another on my quest for the onions.... Before I knew that Aunt Nellies made the onions (before my pal brought some back), I looked at so many stores-- one of them had jars of Aunt Nellies Pickled Beets for sure, and I think also the bean salad! Let me look and find out. Now that I know about Aunt Nellies, my local grocer said he could order onions for me-- he just needed a brand name, a company website or phone number, etc. and the label of the product. Now that I have that, I hope he can order future jars of them for me.. and I will see about the bean salad too and let you know!

I am originally from Wisconsin. I used to have relatives bring me Usingers sausage; good Old Wisconsin Brats; wonderful German bakery (that is no where to be found in Seattle), Kaukana Cheese spreads; and my fave cheese from there-- Polish Delight! Now all my relatives from Wisc. are either dead or moved away.. so I no longer get a fix from my home town... oh well. I will let you know about the Bean Salad......

Yesterday I happened to stop in a grocery store I don't usually go to, and I thought to look--they had the jars of Aunt Nellie's pearl onions, so if for any reason your grocery can't get them for you, just PM me and I'll pack some up and send them.
    "Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Use an egg carton like everyone else and stop being such a poser." - The Little Book of Wrong Shui

Bumping

Just wanted to draw your attention to the current issue of Eating Well that has a lightened version of this recipe.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/creamed_onions.html

I sent this to the printer at work today, and one of my colleagues brought it to me in my cube, saying, "Is this yours? Everyone who saw it in the work room wants to know how it turns out -- Patty, Jayne, Jennifer, Michelle and Kathy!"

I found the Aunt Nellie's jarred onions (and bean salad) at a local warehouse store. I'm jazzed to try the lightened onion recipe for Thanksgiving.

Oh, and Mr. Food featured Aunt Nellie's pickled beets very prominently this week in a beet salad recipe.
    http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...rticle-7073477
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields