Community Message Boards

Thread: Help! I have fire ants in my kitchen

Help! I have fire ants in my kitchen

I noticed ants on my island this morning, the little ones and I hought were the sugar ants I have been battling on and off forthe last several months. I started cleaning and looked down at my shirt and I was covered in ants. they then up my arms biting me. I then noticed they were not the sugar ant but the fire ants. They are about half the size of a pinhead but boy do they know how to bite they are swelling almost the the sixe of a quarter.

I put tero out and they were eating that, I was cleaning up the kitchen from dinner and again I got bitten, I have some major bites.

So how do get ride of these nasty things? I had them outside a few months ago and I didnt think I was ever going kill them. I had walked outside in this area and was immediately cover in the ants and bitten.

I have 2 elderly dogs immune problems and hate to use anything toxic. I finally had to use raid outside several times to get rid of them and then I woudld wash down the patio so the dogs wuld not eat the ant spray

Any ideas??

Thanks

Laurie

I wish I had a suggestion. I have been attacked by fire ants before - totally horrible. Cool oatmeal baths alway made me feel better - but that probably doesn't help your kitchen situation
    - Josie

Oh, my.

My first thought is that they're coming in under your foundation, so maybe you could spray a line of Raid fire-ant spray all the way around your perimeter (outdoors). But if the nest is under your house, the Raid won't do any good (it'll probably kill plants it touches, too, but might be worth the risk).

You might need to call an exterminator, who could have baits & poisons that are contained in a little box or something & not sprayed or dusted, in order to protect your home from having toxins floating about that the dogs would get into. I don't know if Home Depot or Lowe's might have baits you can buy there; would be a good place to try. Wish I had more than sympathy & a few lame answers to offer you. I hope you feel better & I'll see if I can think of anything more helpful!
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

I agree with testkitchen in terms of contacting an exterminator. Regular ants are bad enough but I think fire ants in the house would be an unspeakable horror.

As TK wrote, exterminators do more than spray and set bait as they provide protection in the perimeters of the house to prevent entry. They also place stuff inside the walls as they find out where the ants are finding egress.

Many of the ant exterminators are on contract so that they do an initial "kill" and then come back periodically whenever you spot an ant. I am not up on fire ant annihilation but I know that people who used a professional service for regular ant infestation had no further problems and if the occasional problem arose, it was minor and dealt with quickly.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

Laurie: You have my sympathy for this awful situation... wish I could offer more than that.

I was freaked out this week by Stink Bugs in our bedroom (hiding in the curtains, the blankets, etc.). But after reading your post, I realize they are not so bad.

Good luck, I think you probably should get professional help in getting rid of them.
    Sher
    Keep Calm & Eat More Bacon !!

I may just to have get the house sprayed. I just hate doing it aoround my sick dog.

I have one bite that swelled to 2 inches in diameter

Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by Laurielee View Post
    I may just to have get the house sprayed. I just hate doing it aoround my sick dog.

I have one bite that swelled to 2 inches in diameter

Laurie
    I don't think exterminators spray the whole house for ants but you should confirm. As I recall, they dig around the foundation and plant ant poison and also back track to find openings -- of course for an ant an electrical outlet is the Grand Concourse.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

This isn't a whole-house solution, but you can kill or stun the counter ants on contact with Windex. Wait a few minutes, then wipe them up.
    Last edited by lantana; 10-08-2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: typo

In today's paper, an organic-gardening guy was advising someone about fire ants. He said DE (diatomaceous earth) was fatal to fire ants but harmless to humans & animals. Worth checking into! Home Depot & Lowe's may sell it, and pool-supply places certainly will, since DE is part of a pool's filtration system.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan