Community Message Boards

Thread: What to serve with Chicken Cordon Bleu

What to serve with Chicken Cordon Bleu

I'm having by best friend and her fiance over to celebrate their engagement- I'm making a chicken cordon bleu that is really heavy and rich. What should I serve with it for sides to help cut the richness but still compliment the dish? What about dessert? What about wine?

What about egg noodles, orzo, or basmati rice? Steamed broccoli/cauliflower/carrots, roasted asparagus, or a salad?

This is good...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Herbed Basmati Rice

Recipe By :cooking light
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories Rice
    Side Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 Tablespoon butter or olive oil
    1 large clove garlic -- minced
    3/4 Cup basmati rice -- uncooked
    1 1/2 Cups water
    1/2 teaspoon salt -- or more
    3 Tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
    1 Tablespoon minced fresh basil -- (1/2 t. dried)
    1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme -- (1/4 t. dried)
    3 Tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlid, and sate 1 minute. Add rice, stir well. Add water and salt; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

Stir in onion, basil, and thyme. Sprinkle with cheese.

Yield: 4 servings

Calories - 196 (27% from fat)
    Protein - 6.4g
    Fat - 5.8g (sat 2.4g)
    Carbohydrate 28.5g
    Fiber 0.5g
    Cholesteral 7mg
    Iron 1.7mg
    Sodium 499mg
    Calcium 142mg

I like crisp green beans with lemon zest and toasted pine nuts. Also those extra wide egg noodles with lots of fresh parsley and chives. There was a nice roasted cauliflower and onion dish from CL some years ago.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I like the idea of a simple green vegetable. Steamed broccoli or asparagus with a lemon zest.

If the chicken cordon bleu has a sauce, I'd serve rice (white or brown) tossed with finely chopped sauteed red bell peppers, and some chives. If no sauce, I'd serve mustard-roasted potates. Green veggie: sauteed or roasted broccoli or green beans.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

I would go for a nice green (or spinach) salad with veggies and fruit mixed in, or roasted vegetables (which you can include potatoes or sweet potatoes for carbs).
    If I was the one eating the chicken I would certainly like to have veggies on the side (as opposed to rice or pasta).
    Sorbet for dessert is a light and delicious option after a rich meal, you can pair it with a cookie or biscotti to make it pretty and add some crunch.
    You could also do a fruit crisp/crumble if you prefer something warmer for the fall weather.
    Ana

Cool

One of my favorite sides is a simple saute of leeks and baby spinach. Sometimes I add shiitake mushrooms to the equation, sometimes I leave the spinach out and just do the mushrooms and leeks. For this meal, the greens seem in order. I would like some sort of fruit tart with this.

I'm not that good with wine pairings (surprisingly my husband is quite good at it) but would be inclined to think an Oregon Pinot Noir (lighter than California Pinots, which I love dearly) or non oaky Chardonnay might be nice.

Wow-thanks for the great ideas I will try them and let you know how it goes!