Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So if you don't wear nylons with heels/dresses.......

So if you don't wear nylons with heels/dresses.......

...How the heck do you keep your toes from getting blisters from your shoes?

I've read some threads here about how people never ever wear nylons anymore with pumps or heels and dresses, etc. I'm thinking that nylons are out or only for old people so I haven't worn them either.

The problem is that my toes get all squished in my shoes from walking and constantly putting that pressure on my feet to "slide forward" - shoes that feel perfectly fine when I try them on and are not too short or too narrow in any way - and I end up with blisters.

I have very normal feet that are not wide or not an in-between size.

I never ever had blister issues when I wore nylons because nylons keep your feet sliding smoothly in your shoes as you walk.

So help me ladies or I'm going to go back to nylons even if wearing them makes me look like I'm 75!!
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

I have the same question, only my blisters would be on the back of my ankle. But I wear that type of attire so seldom that I own a single pair of pumps that I can wear with hose...

I have no idea as I can't wear closed shoes without issues - they rub and often the inner sole sticks to my sole and then becomes disengaged and folds over.

I have better luck with flats depending on the style and mules and backless shoes also are better but I have bought a few mules that have caused issues.

Theoretically there are toeless "peds" and other stuff but I never had success with these either as they become disengaged and make the problem worse.

I fudge the issue because I generally wear pants -- even for formal occasions as I don't particularly like the way my legs look in short skirts without tights.

FWIW, tights and colored hose are back in fashion this season.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

Yup, there are peds ... basically, they're a lot like the footies that you use to try on shoes at the shoe store. There are even toeless peds, and some that are made for mules (they just cover up your toes).

That being said - those things shoot off like rubber bands around my size 11 (wide) feet.

I use blister block and powder on my feet. You can even use that Monistat stuff that works as make up primer
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

I can't pull it off either, but it's not even a good option for me anyways as my pasty white legs look horrible without some coloring from a nylon. The only shoe I will wear without some form of protection, whether it be nylons or socks, is a flip flop or a sandal - and even a lot of sandals will rub wrong on my feet and leave a blister.

I have never had any luck with Peds either. i've tried different brands and they either shoot off my size 8 foot or stick out of the shoe. I've tried the full-foot peds, too, and they are guaranteed to stick out of every shoe you own no matter what they look like!

What is blister block?????????

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    What is blister block?????????
    It's a little stick - think teeny deodorant stick that you rub on blister-prone places on your feet. Don't leave it in your car. It melts pretty easily.

--Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

that looks great and reviews I've read are good, too. Do you like it?

I was also on the Band-Aid site and it looks like they have serious bandaids for blisters.

I'm going to hit our CVS on the way home and hope they have this stuff!

I use a product called Body Glide. I get it at a local sporting goods store. Runners use it to stop chafing but it also works great on heels and toes to keep blisters away. Here's some information about it at drugstore.com: http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...ELAID=61227007.
    Trish N.
    Omaha, NE
    "I'm not as sweet as I used to be" Ouiser Boudreaux - "Steel Magnolias" 1989

If you check out the "monistat as foundation" thread, that stuff works wonders for your feet too. I wear it on my feet whenever I'm wearing dressy sandles/shoes with no hose, and also when I'm doing a ton of walking in running shoes (like at an amusement park).
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

Huh. I wear heels to work at least 4 days a week (and I haven't worn or owned hose in at least 5 years), and I have never had blister issues. But then again, I have an office job, so I am not walking around 8 hours a day or anything. Still, the only time I get blisters on my feet is from long runs. I've never used any kind of Body Glide or other products - just bare feet. Not sure why I don't have any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by aggie94 View Post
    Huh. I wear heels to work at least 4 days a week (and I haven't worn or owned hose in at least 5 years), and I have never had blister issues. But then again, I have an office job, so I am not walking around 8 hours a day or anything. Still, the only time I get blisters on my feet is from long runs. I've never used any kind of Body Glide or other products - just bare feet. Not sure why I don't have any issues.
    I think you must be leading a charmed life. And I know you buy new shoes!!!!

Editing to add - I have an office job too, but it's the 2-city-block walk from the garage to the office, 4 flights of stairs (down, at the end of the day) and anytime I forget my lunch and have to go out and buy something.

I haven't had chance to read the "monistat as foundation" thread but now it seems like a must-read!

I am definitely tracking down the Blister Block. I've also seen Friction Block that looks like the exact same packaging from Band-Aid but I'll try to find the real Blister stuff.

I've been a no-pantyhose person for a long time. The truth is, my legs no longer look all that great. I have tiny purple veins and, even with self-tanner, I'm pretty light. I posted this on another thread, but my new favorite thing is this pair of pantyhose. I get super sheer coverage for my not-so-perfect legs, AND I get the no-toe coverage I want. As an added bonus, they allow my feet to slide in the shoes--no blisters.

FWIW, I was at Macys yesterday (buying these hose) and saw a young woman working the makeup counter. She had on really high black pumps with black peds--only the peds showed over the top of the pump. I thought it was rather strange, but I guess she didn't want to wear hose AND didn't want to be barefooted in those shoes.
    TKay

I wear the little Peds-type things that just cover the top of your foot (got them at Wal-mart). If the shoes are cut really high, though, they show. It's usually my baby toes that get rubbed, so I just put bandaids on them if I can't wear the Peds. For backless mule-shoes that are closed toed, I wear the peds-type things that are made of thicker material - more like socks. I find if I wear a full sock with them, I have a hard time keeping them on - they slide right off when I walk. With the half-sock and the rest of the foot bare, they seem to stay on.

Ok, I need some more detail from those of you who don't get blisters on the back of your ankle. Are your shoes big enough that there is a gap back there, so it doesn't rub? I just can't imagine any way to walk around with the back of the shoe going up and down on my Achilles and it NOT rubbing the skin right off.

Quote Originally Posted by Meganator View Post
    Ok, I need some more detail from those of you who don't get blisters on the back of your ankle. Are your shoes big enough that there is a gap back there, so it doesn't rub? I just can't imagine any way to walk around with the back of the shoe going up and down on my Achilles and it NOT rubbing the skin right off.
    Sounds like the problem may be that your shoes are a bit too wide in the back. Have you tried those peel and stick inserts? I think they're called "heel liners." The ones I've used are a soft suede like material that stops the chafing.

mlynn

I'm going to a wedding on Saturday where I will be wearing some brand new 4 inch heels. I purchased some Dr. Scholl's "for Her" Ball of Foot pads that are designed to keep my foot in place and not slide forward. I'll let you know how they work out!
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

OK, you can put me in the lily-white legs category, too. My legs are blinding when I don't wear nylons. The only time I do go hosiery-free is when I'm wearing my casual sandals with jeans or shorts, 'cause I think hose when I'm going casual just looks stupid.
    And I hate the feeling of my foot sticking to the inside of my shoes, so I've never worn them without hose. That's probably the reason why I've never gotten blisters from having naked feet in my good shoes.
    Guess I'm just gonna have to be resigned the fact that I'm an old lady.
    Connie

This is a bit of a hijack, but what IS the best thing to do if your legs are lily white? And I mean WHITE. I cannot use self-tanners, I am allergic to most skin products and don't have the time or inclination anyway.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
    This is a bit of a hijack, but what IS the best thing to do if your legs are lily white? And I mean WHITE. I cannot use self-tanners, I am allergic to most skin products and don't have the time or inclination anyway.
    Personally, I opt to rock the lily white look with pride. Yes, my legs are reflective. You know what? I don't care. The rest of me is lily white too, so it would just look bizarre if I had tanned legs.
    Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
    Anthony Bourdain

Mmmm...my arms are awfully pale, too, but not as much as my legs because they do get a bit more sun. I really shouldn't allow them to, as skin cancer runs in my family. I do cover up & use sunscreen as much as possible, but there's only so much you can do. So anyway, my legs are much whiter and look a little funny, especially if I'm wearing something navy or another dark shade. I really cannot justify spending money on self-tanners, so I put on the hose or just opt for the pale look.
    Connie

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaksoup View Post
    Personally, I opt to rock the lily white look with pride. Yes, my legs are reflective. You know what? I don't care. The rest of me is lily white too, so it would just look bizarre if I had tanned legs.
    I am in the lily white legs group too and I don't worry about it either! I refuse to wear hose when it is 90 here most of the summer (and still today!! )

I do wear shoes w/ no hose w/ out blisters though. I have had a few shoes that rubbed once or twice but in the last 10 yrs it has never really been an issue.

In Phoenix nobody I know wears hose. Even in "power" jobs.

I had a friend from CT come here on a business trip and I told her to leave her hose at home. She didn't and she told me later she felt out of place.

Anyway, the women I know use self tanner, tinted moisturizer or they go lilly white.

I use Loreal bronzer. I have no problems with blisters.
    Visit my blog at http://www.theglobalkitchen.blogspot.com/
    "A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."

James Beard

I will be in a dress and heels in 50 degree weather tomorrow and still refuse to wear hose. Actually I've gone to a wedding in the Colorado mountains in January (so sub freezing) and didn't wear hose then either. I HATE hose. I have found that if it's warmer using a bit of talcum powder works or if it's colder (ie my feet aren't sweating) I don't need anything. I know people who use spray deodorant as well.

Bodyglide is a good idea though, people use it for running shoe blisters (and for chafing as previously mentioned) regularly and it is probably cheaper than the Bandaid stuff for the amount you get.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

So I've noticed that most of you who always go sans hose live either in hot/warm or temperate year-round climates. Makes sense. Anyone who lives in the Northeast or other places that get cold (like 40º or less) in the winter forgo the hose then, too?

ETA: Well, besides "Iron Girl" Robyn, that is
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~

Quote Originally Posted by syzygy View Post
    So I've noticed that most of you who always go sans hose live either in hot/warm or temperate year-round climates. Makes sense. Anyone who lives in the Northeast or other places that get cold (like 40º or less) in the winter forgo the hose then, too?
    Yep, see post above yours.

ETA: Hehe, guess we were posting at the same time.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by syzygy View Post

ETA: Well, besides "Iron Girl" Robyn, that is
    Me! This Wisconsin girl probably hasn't worn hose since some time in the last century and will be attending a wedding in the UP this weekend, where this is a forecast of *snow*. Even this will not change her rebel ways...

Well, OK, and the fact that they're peep toes, too.
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Checking in as another girl from the great white north who never wears hose. I currently live in Ohio, but I have done stints in MN and WI - no hose there either. And I go out in skirts a lot in the winter. Often I wear knee high boots in the winter so not too much skin is exposed. But yeah, I would pretty much rather stab myself in the eyeball than wear hose.

Oh back to the original topic... Some of my shoes can give me blisters under the right circumstances. Most of my blister problems are heel oriented instead of toe oriented though - so usually I try to deal with my heel with moleskin or bandaids or wearing different shoes. I find that I wear a ton of shoes that are slingbacks because they are most comfortable on my feet.

I am totally checking out those blister sticks though- what a great idea!
    - Josie

I found Friction Block in CVS last night and I bought that.

Does it work the same as Blister Block? Both packaging look identical but one clearly says Blister Block and one says Friction Block.

Wow, what an eye opening thread! I had NO idea that panty hose were out of fashion. I must be living under a rock. I live in the Northwest and I am *always* cold in fall/winter so there is no way I could go out wearing a skirt/dress and no hose. Plus, I always thought it was unprofessional to show up at work with bare legs (except in the summer when it's more casual). So, any suggestions on what I could do besides throwing out all my skirts?