Community Message Boards

Thread: Hershey's Natural Unsweetened Cocoa, Expiration 8/09.

Hershey's Natural Unsweetened Cocoa, Expiration 8/09.

Just noticed that I have an opened package of Hershey's Natural Unsweetened Cocoa with an expiration date of 8/09.

Anyone knows what happpens to it -- just lose some of its flavor or ? Any reason why not to use it since it hasnt been that long?

Can I rationalize that I really need to bake something quick. I'm going to a party and need to make something, but if the cocoa has "lost" something, I would just use something else.

Thanks,

I would bet it's not an "expiration" but is a "best by" and that it's fine, ESPECIALLY since we're talking about 2 months, not years. I'd use it without blinking.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

I don't know if I have checked cocoa expiration dates. I'd check the color and smell and use it unless something seemed obviously off. If it seems to have faded a bit, use a little more.

Seconding funniegrrl.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I will do the same just as Beth said.

I agree with all of the above. I use my eyes and nose. If it looks OK and smells OK go with it.
    Trish N.
    Omaha, NE
    "I'm not as sweet as I used to be" Ouiser Boudreaux - "Steel Magnolias" 1989

I just used some cocoa that expired a year ago. The cake tasted fantastic, and I still seem to be alive and well.

Thanks everyone -- that's what I thought. It smells and looks fine and its been only two months so can't imagine it lost much in flavor.