Community Message Boards

Thread: Top Chef 10-28 spoilers of course

Top Chef 10-28 spoilers of course

I can cook better vegetarian than those chefs. Kevin's dish is closest to what I would have made but the rest of them were uninspiring. And I'm not into large portions but a lot of them were so small.

I still don't get how Mike got scallop out of leek.

I also noticed Michael V followed the servers out with some little copper pots but I didn't see him put anything on the judges plates. Did I miss something? Also his disparaging comments about Kevins dish were immature. He thinks that since his dish was more creative it should have won but Kevin's dish tasted good. There's something to be said for simple technique.

Really any of the bottom three could have gone and I think Jennifer was hoping it would have been her. She's falling apart. she's probably a good chef on her own time and without restrictions.

I honestly thought Robin would do better. I also think the other chefs need to get over it and accept she's there so quit kicking walls and worry about yourself Eli!

Natalie was a good judge. She really seemed to enjoy being there and didn't have a list of restrictions. I wonder if the kitchen had restrictions because with vegetarian you can still use butter, cream, and cheese and with the exception of Jens sauce I didn't see any of those items.
    Last edited by KristiB; 10-29-2009 at 08:45 AM.
    Visit my blog at http://www.theglobalkitchen.blogspot.com/
    "A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."

James Beard

I can cook better vegetarian than those chefs.
    I was saying this to myself last night and was also wondering if there were other dietary constraints that were not mentioned. I can't believe Kevins was the only one with a protein. I dont consider Robins dish since she only put a couple of garbanozo beans on each plate.

I think it was Natalie who said, somehting like it gets frustrating because people want to serve side like appetizers for a meal. And every dish except for kevins looked like an appetizer.

Laurie

Here is my post from the thread earlier this am

I dont usually start this thread but

MIKE I IS GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Everytime he made an arrogant comment last night DH poked me - he knows how much I hate it - and I LOVE that the judges table said he was arrogant!

Im really glad they are recognizing the inherent talent in Jennifer tnad they she is slipping in the stress. It wont save her for long, as it shouldnt, but Im glad she will still be there.

Ok, Ive about had it with the brothers. Brian's (or is it Michael) anger and Kevin's win because the dish was too easy - ya know what it TASTED good and they thought it met the criteria for a vegetarian MAIN DISH which the rest had trouble with!

Ok - I feel better now

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...d.php?t=130641
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

Okay - there are 2 TC threads going this week....don't know where to post! AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

I liked this episode. I thought this was one twist that was good - they all planned meat and had to cook meatless - it's a real-life twist that made them think on their feet. I was disappointed in the dishes though. I, like others, kept thinking I could make an amazing vegetarian dish that would be appropriate to serve in a steakhouse that was better than what we saw.

Did anyone else CRACK up at the "little ***** on your tongue" followed by the "it gets bigger in your mouth" comments? I almost wet my pants I was laughing so hard!!! That was great that it made the episode.

I think any of the bottom 3 could have justifiably gone home. I sort of wanted Robin to go since I just don't like her, but was fine with the result. But of those remaining Robin's been in the bottom the most and Bryan's the only one who has NEVER been in the bottom and Kevin's won the most challenges.

I like this chart that wikipedia does on each season - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Chef_(season_6)
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Maybe I've been watching too much Project Runway, but

GAIL, LOSE THE RUFFLES!!!!!!!
    GIVE THE DRESS TO CHARITY!!!!!

It made you look like Portman's fat, dowdy, older sister.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226 View Post

Bob
    I know! She was dressed worse than Padma on her worst day!
    Visit my blog at http://www.theglobalkitchen.blogspot.com/
    "A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."

James Beard

Did anyone else think that a LOT of wine was consumed at that dinner? My DD and I both commented that they were all a bit drunk! Looked like they were having a good time, though.

LOL Bob!

I find it so humorous that Mike I. got the boot before Robin - that is going to annoy him for a very, very, very long time!

I am worried about my gal Jennifer - she seems to be cracking under the pressure.

The comment by Michael was realllly snotty. I turned to my DD and commented that he was acting like a sore loser!

I will be absolutely shocked if Kevin doesn't win this season.
    Sherri

Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.

Quote Originally Posted by SDMomChef View Post
    LOL Bob!

I find it so humorous that Mike I. got the boot before Robin - that is going to annoy him for a very, very, very long time!

I know, Isnt that the BEST thing to think about???

Me too!
    ~Kim~

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

I enjoyed this episode and it was interesting to see what the chefs came up with for a vegetarian dinner. My thoughts were:

* Kevin certainly is cleaning up with the wins in both the quickfire challenges and regular challenges. I think it is great since he seems to be a talented chef who is also a nice guy.

* I was very disappointed to hear the comments by Michael after Kevin had won. It was very immature and it comes down to the fact that, yes maybe you could have made that dish better, quicker, whatever, but guess what, you didn't. Also, I wasn't impressed when Michael asked Brian what had not made it onto his plate, Brian said it was something he had fried, and Michaels response was good because it was drenched in oil anyway. With sibling support like this who needs enemies

* Which chef was it that said that something along the lines of that they didn't mind cooking for vegetarians as they are people too? I am so glad that they realized this

* Jennifer does seem to be losing it. It seems that every time there is a challenge we hear from her that she is not well, or not at the top of her game, or some other excuse. She even seemed resigned that she was the one out of the three going home. She is talented too but maybe this is not for her.

* I was glad when Mike went. His arrogance was unbelievable and I agree with the OP who stated that since he went before Robin this is going to be the first thing he thinks of when he wakes up and the last thing he thinks of before going to sleep for a while.
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

And what about the cheftestant who remarked that Portman had done "Star Wars" (but that was enough) and nothing else, showing his ignorance that she'd made more than 20 films and millions of bucks while he was a nobody sweating over a hot stove, hoping to win fame on a reality show on cable?

Not to mention that she's fabulously beautiful while he's......oh, never mind, I think I've made my point.

Bob

And what about the cheftestant who remarked that Portman had done "Star Wars" (but that was enough) and nothing else, showing his ignorance that she'd made more than 20 films and millions of bucks while he was a nobody sweating over a hot stove, hoping to win fame on a reality show on cable?

Not to mention that she's fabulously beautiful while he's......oh, never mind, I think I've made my point.

Bob
    That was Eli.
    The best sound is that of someone laughing in their sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryH View Post
    That was Eli.
    I know who it was. I didn't even want to type his name.

Bob

Long-time vegetarian here...Those "dinners" would have had me stopping at a burrito stand to get some real food on the way home. Kevin's did seem the most like a meal.

I agree, there had to be some restrictions that we didn't hear as there was no dairy or eggs or grains on those plates.

Bob
    LOL, Bob! I too thought the ruffles were a bit unflattering to her figure.
    And as for Padma's outfit during the Quickfire last night... my first thought was "Hammster's eyes just popped out of his head!"

Mike I was actually starting to grow on me until last night's episode. It's OK to have a certain amount of cockiness in the kitchen when you're a decent chef... but his arrogance surely helped him get sent home before Robin or Jen.

Jen has turned into a train wreck I can't quite look away from. I feel bad, because I do like her and think she's talented... I hope she gets it together.

Robin's plating made me want to get out a paintbrush and throw vegetarian food at a canvas.

Quote Originally Posted by lantana View Post
    I agree, there had to be some restrictions that we didn't hear as there was no dairy or eggs or grains on those plates.
    There was plenty of dairy used, though it was not talked about - take a look at Kevin's recipe!

http://www.bravotv.com/foodies/recip...nip-pureacutee
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

I just came across this interview with Mike and he says there were no other ingredient restrictions aside from meat. So hard to understand the cheftestants' thinking on this challenge...
    "There are times when we're dirt broke, hungry, and freezing, and I ask myself, why the hell am I still living here? And then they call. And I remember." ~Mark, Rent

Bob
    Amen Bob!
    Gail needs somebody to help her choose her wardrobe. Week after week she manages to choose the most unflattering clothing.

I'm a lousy dresser myself, but if I were going to be on TV, you bet your sweet ruffle that I'd hire somebody to choose clothing that looks decent on the TV screen.
    Sara

Tom's blog was quite interesting - they trucked in a haul of veggies from the Santa Monica Farmers Market for the challenge.

While Kevin's recipe did use small amounts of butter and cream, I am still scratching my head as to why there were more obvious choices -- pasta seems like a no brainer and there was no restriction on cheese. Since I'm far from a top chef, I can only point out the obvious like cheese tarts, various savory cheese puddings and/or gourmet type of mac n cheese -- accompanied by the "veggie" stuff on the side.

He also took some time to discuss his take on Kevin's simpler style versus the V brothers more elaborate styles -- and bottom line is that it has to TASTE good.

I don't think they saved Jen because of her past -- at least per Tom. Jen's dish was tasty although it was too small and side dishy. Mike's plate consisted of two mediocres and one truly ghastly - and it didn't make sense on any kind of level.

Robin's dish (per Tom) was okay but just not a cohesive vision. I don't hate on Robin but she has had some incredibly lucky breaks at Judge's Table since she is still there ONLY because there always seemed to be someone who produced something really terrible.

And I did derive intense satisfaction from Mike departing prior to Robin. He certainly was totally without redeeming value -- I had saved the first episode on TIVO and was fast forwarding through it -- from his initial assumption that Jen was a pastry chef; to his dismissing Robin as a threat by calling her an old lady to his dismay that Jen -- a mere GIRL -- was shucking clams as quickly as he was -- what a DB.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

I am worried about Jen. She is so hard on herself, always, and I think it's starting to affect her. The other thing that probably contributes to everyone's bad behavior is just lack of sleep. I think it was a PR contestant who said you just can't overestimate how tired they all are and I assume TC has the same type of schedule. They seem stay up late and wake up very early (which is not a typical chef's schedule either, irl chefs stay up very late but don't come back inot work until late morning or afternoon)

I also wonder about Jen's alcohol consumption. Was she sick that time she was throwing up or hungover? My 7 yr old observed the other day "she's always tired".

Like most of you, I was surprised at how poorly the contestants did with the vegetarian challenge. Didn't they expect one at some point?? And yes, Blazedog, if there were so few restrictions why weren't there more substantial items on the plate?
    Barbara

Nutella is love! - 9yr old ds

Quote Originally Posted by Peweh View Post
    And as for Padma's outfit during the Quickfire last night... my first thought was "Hammster's eyes just popped out of his head!"
    LOL, how funny that we do think of one another during these times. I do have a Padma crush. Actually she didn't do as much for me this time. Although she does a little for me on every episode. (CJ, watch out!!) I was sooooo glad to have Gail back that I didn't even pay attention to her bad prom dress. It looks like Toby is back next week, however. Yeesh.

That whole conversation about p**ck on tongue and bigger in the mouth, too funny.

I was really worried that Jen would go home. Contrary to what they say, I think the judges are using past accomplishments in their deliberations this season and that could have helped her this week. I was really happy to see Mike I go. I can tolerate Robin, but can't tolerate Mike I's nonsense.

Robin will go soon enough.

I also liked the twist to cook vegetarian, especially in a steak house.

Kevin is totally staying out of the drama and just forging ahead in his quest to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammster View Post
    I was sooooo glad to have Gail back that I didn't even pay attention to her bad prom dress.
    DD was wondering if she's pregnant... and the ruffles were the detail at the shoulders to take the eye off the belly...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMartinGal View Post
    DD was wondering if she's pregnant... and the ruffles were the detail at the shoulders to take the eye off the belly...
    Padma is but I haven't heard anything about Gail. The ruffles were definitely sufficient to take the eyes away from the stomach area
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Finally caught the episode tonight and I actually found it kind of boring, though I liked the idea of the challenge. I guess I just don't find the chefs interesting? Or at least what they did with the challenge wasn't terribly interesting. Also, I have no idea who the guest was (I'd love to say that I'm old and out of touch, but unfortunately I've always been out of touch!). Still, I didn't think the little-pricks-feeling-big-in-the-mouth jokes were very cleaver, and Gail's outfit -- ouch! I thought she had been moonlighting in one of the Vegas floor shows. Definitely looks preggers.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Finally caught the episode tonight and I actually found it kind of boring, though I liked the idea of the challenge. I guess I just don't find the chefs interesting? Or at least what they did with the challenge wasn't terribly interesting. Also, I have no idea who the guest was (I'd love to say that I'm old and out of touch, but unfortunately I've always been out of touch!). Still, I didn't think the little-pricks-feeling-big-in-the-mouth jokes were very cleaver, and Gail's outfit -- ouch! I thought she had been moonlighting in one of the Vegas floor shows. Definitely looks preggers.
    Yeah, the pricks remarks were definitely...um...less than proper etiquette (I was going to say, "in bad taste.") Guess that's how you can tell it's a cable show! Natalie Portman played in one of the later Star Wars movies.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammster View Post

Kevin is totally staying out of the drama and just forging ahead in his quest to win.
    I love this about him!!!
    ~Kim~

Dave Barry

Anyone watching this show who was considering becoming a vegetarian probably would decide to stick with red meat. Beans, pasta, tofu...where were the stick-to-your-ribs dishes?

I have to admit, I was disappointed in not seeing meat at Craftsteak. I could eat ribeyes every night.

I think Jen is either hungover or pregnant. She is too young to be tired all the time.
    Margaret

Bob
    Yes, I about choked at her dress. Egads. I'm usually one who doesn't notice or care about clothes, but her dress and that horrid green outfit of Padma's a while back caught my attention...and not in a positive way!

LOL Bob!

I am worried about my gal Jennifer - she seems to be cracking under the pressure.

The comment by Michael was realllly snotty. I turned to my DD and commented that he was acting like a sore loser!

Yeah, Kevin is just so solid. A few of the others are very talented, but he has been the most consistent. And he's so darn likable!

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    Padma is but I haven't heard anything about Gail. The ruffles were definitely sufficient to take the eyes away from the stomach area
    There was an episode last season (maybe the last or near the last one?), that aired after her wedding episode that made DBF and I think she is prego.

DBF is attached to this show now. He told me tonight that he is even reading Tom's blog now.
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    What made me think she looked "expectant" was that she looked bloated and more busty than usual. That's what I've always noticed with coworkers who eventually "confide" that they are pregnant. But maybe everything looks bigger with ruffles!
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt