Community Message Boards

Thread: Help! Dead crock pot

Help! Dead crock pot

I am making the Slow Cooker Char Siu Pork Roast for dinner tonight. When I left this morning the crockpot was hot and cooking away. When I got home about 2 hours later it was no longer on. I don't know how long it was off, but it is cool to the touch.

Is the pork still safe to cook and eat? If yes, what would be the best way to cook?

Thanks!
    The World doesn't revolve around you...you're just dizzy

You can cook it both stove top or oven but you'll need to add more liquid (if you reduced it for a crockpot), it will need to be halfway up the meat for a braise. I'd start it stove top and bring to a good boil for about 3 minutes, turning the meat once if it's a solid chunk. If you do it in the oven then 325º for 2 1/2-3 hours.

If it's already halfway up the meat (liquid that is) you could just shove it in the oven and turn after an hour or so...
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

How long had it cooked before you left? If it had not been cooking long and say the worst case scenario, it conked out right as you left so it was off for 2 hours, I would be concerned that it didn't get high enough to start killing off the bad bacteria but merely lingered in that danger zone of less than 150 degrees or so.

I am not an expert on food safety, but since the cockpot was cool to the touch that would concern me.
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

The danger zone is between 41º and 141º and a food would have to be in the danger zone for 4 hours. As one who defrosts on the counter I'd still finish the dish.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thanks for all of the advice.
    I put it in the oven with some chicken stock. I haven't decided if we are going to eat it yet. The pork was very cold when I put it in and it was in there for only about 30 minutes before I left. I'm feeding my in-laws so I am thinking of letting them take their chances (ha ha).
    The World doesn't revolve around you...you're just dizzy

I'd eat it without worrying.
    - Josie