Community Message Boards

Thread: Chili-Lime Pecans from Southern Living

Thumbs up Chili-Lime Pecans from Southern Living

These are good! The lime adds a little something I had not thought spiced nuts needed, but turns out they do. This is from November, 2009.

Chili-Lime Pecans

2 TBSP lime juice
    1 TBSP olive oil
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp ground red pepper
    3 c pecan halves

Mix first 6 ingredients together and add pecans. Toss well. Spread on lightly greased aluminum foil-lined jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 for 12 to 14 minutes or until pecans are toasted and dry, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
    Margaret

WOW, a spice recipe for nuts without sugar!! and I adore pecans!
    THANK YOU!

I wonder if Walnuts would also work!!
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Margaret,

Thanks for posting. These look great! I've been debating whether to make my usual spiced nuts for gifts or whether to try something new, since I've not made too many changes to my repertoire these past few years. I'll make these soon and maybe I'll be changing up my food gifts for this year!
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

These sound great...thanks for the recipe and review...I agree...no sugar...the ones I normally make have lots...this looks like a good replacement!!

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Oh yum. These look like something that could become addictive.
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by jjsooner73 View Post
    Oh yum. These look like something that could become addictive.
    They may be. I made these for a goodie table I am doing for a meeting, and ate so many I am probably going to have to make another batch.
    Margaret

OK, mine are in the oven as I type...

I added a small sprinkle of garlic powder and I added a 1/4 cup of walnuts to the mix to see how they come out.

THANK YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    OK, mine are in the oven as I type...

I added a small sprinkle of garlic powder and I added a 1/4 cup of walnuts to the mix to see how they come out.

THANK YOU!
    Let us know what you think. I'm going to make some type of spiced pecan for Christmas gifts this year, and all of the recipes I have are sugar laden. Maybe that's what makes them so good.)

LOVED THEM. The walnuts work equally well...
    and I would make them a tad hotter

I sent this to a friend who makes nuts as her Christmas gift. This would be an interesting addition to her assortment!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodone View Post
    I sent this to a friend who makes nuts as her Christmas gift. This would be an interesting addition to her assortment!
    Friend here! Thanks for telling me.

So good! I used hot paprika, mild chili powder, and less cayenne. Next time I will try smoked paprika and hot chili powder. Oh, the possibilities. :-)

We shelled fresh pecans on Friday and I made these yesterday. They are soooo good. Another batch is calling

MMMMMMMMmmmmmm

These sound fabulous, I can't wait to make them!

For those of you who did...for the 'lime juice', did you use bottled or fresh? I'm sure fresh is always better but sometimes our limes at the gro look kinda punk!

I think I'll try the recommendations on addition of garlic powder, maybe smoky paprika and maybe walnuts .

I was reading through Southern Living last night and remembered that all of you recommended these. Especially after all of the suggestions/adaptations listed here, I think I'll try these as Christmas goodies to give away (unless I eat them all first).

Thanks for the ideas,

Kate

Oh, these look very good. Thanks for posting.

I made a batch of these this afternoon. WOW! They are delicious. The only changes I made were to increase the cayenne to 3/4 tsp. and decrease the salt to 1/4 tsp. The extra red pepper gives it a nice kick.

It's nice to have a spiced pecan recipe without sugar.

WoW! lime, no egg- sounds perfect! Thanks for sharing and I'll try these tomorrow.

I think I'll also up the spicy spicy too!
    Cheryl

Oh dear...these are very good. Just took a pan out of the oven. Thanks for the new recipe.

All of you should post your enthusiasm on the MyRecipes site, where the recipe received only one review -- bad.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Bumping up this old thread since I made these today for some gift bags (with the current price of pecans (if you can find them at all!), they are truly gifts from the heart). Amazing and truly addictive!! My cayenne was hiding in the fridge spice bin so I used chipotle powder instead. Also made a batch with almonds, which ended up "cajuned" at 14 minutes and tossed out to the birds/possums. Went 11 minutes on the next batch of almonds and that worked fine. I think I like the chili-lime flavor best with the almonds....yummers all around, tho.

Thanks, jazzmatazz49, for posting this way back when!
    I'm a Tar Heel born, I'm a Tar Heel bred.....

I somehow missed this thread the first time around. I've made the these since I first saw them in SL and LOVE them!
    "Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you."
    ~Tommy Smothers

The bumping of this thread is timely, I was just trying to come up with a second nut to join my sweet and spicy almonds. Not to be redundant, but do you think adding a tablespoon of honey would work ok? I am not a fan of pure salty, but a tablespoon would still be far less sweet than the other nuts. I am thinking almonds (easiest for me to get) with chipotle/smoked paprika. The lime sounds delish.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Laura, I'll link one of my threads on GW. You can decide for yourself if it's something you'd like to make.

Honey Chipotle Pecans

Laura, I don't think the Tbs of honey would be a bad thing, but I'd watch them very closely with that added sugar, maybe reduce the temp some to keep from burning. But I really, really liked them savory. I don't think they're very salty as is but you could reduce the salt I think and still have a hint of salty.

Charley, I made those Honey Chipotle Pecans back in '07 from a thread on the BB--they are definitely addictive! Thanks for the reminder (insert hat tipping smiley).
    I'm a Tar Heel born, I'm a Tar Heel bred.....

Thanks for the bump!
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Laura, I'll link one of my threads on GW. You can decide for yourself if it's something you'd like to make.

Honey Chipotle Pecans
    Those look VERY good but they also look decently similar to the nuts I already have. But I will keep them in mind for the future....
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

I made these about two years ago and they were a big hit. Thanks for postingi. Serves as a reminder I need to do these again.