Community Message Boards

Thread: Mac and Cheese with Roasted Chicken, Goat Cheese and Rosemary (Michael Symon)

Mac and Cheese with Roasted Chicken, Goat Cheese and Rosemary (Michael Symon)

Oof! This may just be the recipe that gets me kicked off any "cooking light" board for life! I love Michael Symon and I love Michael Ruhlman, and I've been messing around with macaroni and cheese for six weeks, so when I saw this on Ruhlman's blog, I *had* to give it a try. I made 1/4 recipe, which would serve two (with written consent from witnessed cardiologist's approval). It is fast, easy, delicious and homey. But my god - look at the ingredients!! Unless as a public service (you're welcome) how could one ever justify making this dish?

"Mac and Cheese" is not a great descriptor here: it's more reminiscent of an Alfredo-type sauce, though I love the use of rigatoni. And while I'm generally opposed to chicken in pasta dishes, it works really well here.

Don't try this at home.

Mac and Cheese with Roasted Chicken, Goat Cheese and Rosemary
    From "Live To Cook: Recipes and Techniques to Rock Your Kitchen"

Kosher salt as needed
    1 pound dried rigatoni
    1 quart cream
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
    8 ounces goat cheese
    2 cups shredded roasted chicken

Bring a pot of water to a boil (add enough salt so that it tastes seasoned). While it's heating, pour the cream into a large sauce pan, add the rosemary and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and bring it to a simmer, careful not to let it boil over. Reduce the cream by about half. Add the goat cheese and chicken and keep cooking it till the cream coats the back of a spoon.

Cook the rigatoni till it's al dente, about ten minutes. Drain the pasta, add it to the sauce. Toss the pasta in the sauce till the sauce resumes a simmer, then serve.

Serves 6 to 8
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Yep...you could be banned for life...but this looks fabulous!
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

Canice - how can you possibly be testing mac & cheese for 6 weeks w/out gaining 20 pounds?! I was on a perfect mac & cheese kick for a bit. Then, another time, I was on a quest for the perfect homemade sourdough bread. I quit both b/c I felt so guilty! Both are awesome 'sometimes food' items. Oi! I envy your quest!

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    Canice - how can you possibly be testing mac & cheese for 6 weeks w/out gaining 20 pounds?! I was on a perfect mac & cheese kick for a bit. Then, another time, I was on a quest for the perfect homemade sourdough bread. I quit both b/c I felt so guilty! Both are awesome 'sometimes food' items. Oi! I envy your quest!
    I was wondering the same thing. I've seen a few of her Mac N Cheese pictures and they look delicious.

Canice- if I make this recipe I will surely die and go to heaven!
    It looks beyond good.

Hey! At least the turkey noodle casserole only called for 1/2 cup cream - or 1 cup if you have bad eyes! A quart of cream???? But yes, it does look yummy.

Maybe if I look away and have Chuck pour in the cream?

Quote Originally Posted by lindrusso View Post
    A quart of cream???? But yes, it does look yummy.

Surely if you reduce it by half, it's healthier!

Amy

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    Canice - how can you possibly be testing mac & cheese for 6 weeks w/out gaining 20 pounds?!
    Well, uh, who's to say I haven't gained 20 pounds?
    In my own defense..OK, there ISN'T one...I would say it's probably four recipes over six weeks. And they're very easy to cut down by fractions, which I then further divide into separate baking dishes so I can sample one fresh from the oven and one reserved and heated later. I don't eat all of either. Usually.
    (How do you like my tap dancing?)

Quote Originally Posted by lindrusso View Post
    Hey! At least the turkey noodle casserole only called for 1/2 cup cream - or 1 cup if you have bad eyes! A quart of cream???? But yes, it does look yummy.

Well, sure, it's a quart of cream if you make a FULL recipe, but with a nice big, fresh salad with vinaigrette (which I seriously would recommend with this) you can get away with just a half-recipe for your family of four. And that rate, it's only..uhm...you know -- half a cup of cream per serving!

Nice tap dancing Canice! :-)

And I agree about the salad. DH teases me b/c when I was growing up, mac & cheese was a main dish served w/salad. He feels that it should be a side dish (he from the home where they had both corn & potatoes at the same meal). Sounds like you guys are backing me up w/the main dish theory!!

We didn't eat mac 'n' cheese growing up but I always pictured it as any other casserole - a main dish. When I started making it a few years ago I always served green beans on the side because it seemed so...obvious. I thought I'd read that it became popular after WWII because it was a cheap and filling source of protein. Or is that a total fabrication? Either way, even though I can totally see it as a side to roast chicken or meatloaf or something, the flavor seems to stand on its own. Plus, I like casseroles precisely for standing on their own - maybe that's it.

PS: I had tofu soup and kimchee for lunch

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Well, uh, who's to say I haven't gained 20 pounds?
    In my own defense..OK, there ISN'T one...I would say it's probably four recipes over six weeks. And they're very easy to cut down by fractions, which I then further divide into separate baking dishes so I can sample one fresh from the oven and one reserved and heated later. I don't eat all of either. Usually.
    (How do you like my tap dancing?)

Well, sure, it's a quart of cream if you make a FULL recipe, but with a nice big, fresh salad with vinaigrette (which I seriously would recommend with this) you can get away with just a half-recipe for your family of four. And that rate, it's only..uhm...you know -- half a cup of cream per serving!
    You need a mac n' cheese 12 step program. Seriously.
    In your defense this MS recipe looks amazing!
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland