Community Message Boards

Thread: Ideas for a Baptism Brunch

Ideas for a Baptism Brunch

Any ideas?
    I'm not even sure how many people we'll have - probably 20.

Any help and ideas would be appreciated, I can't seem to get it together enough to even think about what to serve! My mind is stuck!
    "...having dogs forces us to keep living in places that are right for us. And I think of all the things I might have given up had my dogs not shown me what was important in my life: fresh air, a garden, an eleven-thousand foot mountain in my backyard." - Pam Houston "The Bad Dogs of Park City"

www.peaceiswise.blogspot.com

Quiche is always a great brunch idea, you can make a few different kinds, and also make them in advance.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

I just love a good brunch.

Quiche - one vegetarian, e.g. spinach-mushroom, one (or more) not, depending on your guests
    Sliced ham
    Biscuits
    Banana bread
    Fruit

CL's Orange French Toast Casserole is terrific.
    "Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?" - attorney Bob Loblaw, Arrested Development

"Spend time with your kids so we don't have to" - Florida Dept. of Juvenile Justice bumper sticker

www.nostinkycheese.blogspot.com

What is your timeline? Are you going straight from the church to your house?

I would probably buy one of the turkeys that are on sale this week and roast it ahead of time. Then I would have a selection of rolls and condiments. I'd add fruit and salad and a really nice cake. I'd want the types of things that could be made ahead and then taken from the fridge straight to the table. I know when we had my son's baptism it took a while to get out of the church and then he had to be fed RIGHT THEN. If had had had all of my relatives around waiting to be fed as well I would have gone nuts!

This Bacon 'n' Egg Lasagna is really good!
    http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...=Bacon+Lasagna

Brunch will be immediatley after the service but my mom is hosting (since this is taking place 2 1/2 hours away in my hometown). We def. can't have everything in the oven but a ham or turkey at least would work well, i think!
    "...having dogs forces us to keep living in places that are right for us. And I think of all the things I might have given up had my dogs not shown me what was important in my life: fresh air, a garden, an eleven-thousand foot mountain in my backyard." - Pam Houston "The Bad Dogs of Park City"

www.peaceiswise.blogspot.com

Put a ham in the crock pot! I do this for Easter--- mix honey with orange marmalade, a little ground clove and some Dijon mustard. pour onto a already baked boneless ham and heat until hot throughout. You can serve as slices or on rolls like sandwiches.
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

Here you go. Here's a thread where I started the same question: http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...=church&page=2 . The thread, b/c of its title, probably wouldn't have come up in a search; I even had to poke around a bit b4 finding it.

I had the exact same situation: gone all morning (church), & needing to come home to nice food. I kind of went overboard a bit on food but the thread might give you some help & ideas.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Here's what we did:

Egg casserole x2 (make ahead the night before, stick in oven as soon as you get back from church - we did 2 different kinds)

Fruit salad

Baked goods: croissants, muffins, pastries (all purchased by my mom that morning on her way to church)

I made a carrot cake the day before.

I ordered a huge thing of coffee and stopped to pick it up on the way home and dumped it into my coffee urn.

We had oj, bubbly and misc pop.

It was all make ahead or buy and really easy.

hash brown casserole-- it's in this forum somewheres, probably several times over, and everyone loves it. plus, you can make it ahead in a deep glass dish and zap to reheat or leave it covered after reheating for a good long while.

Christy Marie, can you give us the recipe you used for an egg casserole?

Or can others?

I'd really like to have one, for family at Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by peachesncream View Post
    Christy Marie, can you give us the recipe you used for an egg casserole?

Or can others?

I'd really like to have one, for family at Christmas.
    I'm sorry, it was my SIL's recipe and I have since lost it. Which kind of stinks because it was good!

If you go to epicurious they do have several. That's what I will probably do the next time I host a brunch.