Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I freeze homemade bean burgers?

Can I freeze homemade bean burgers?

I'm planning to make the following Black Bean Burger recipe (to use some cooked black beans and farro I have on hand), but there's only two of us. I love having home-made quick meals in the freezer (and we love veggie burgers), so I'm wondering if I can freeze the extra burgers either cooked or uncooked to use them (aka microwave or skillet cook from frozen) like Garden/Morningstar burgers.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Michelle

Black Bean Burgers

1 1/4 cups dried black beans -- rinsed and picked over, then soaked for 4 hours and drained
    Kosher salt
    3 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/3 cup farro
    1 small onion -- finely diced
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1 garlic clove -- minced
    2 large eggs -- lightly beaten
    1 cup coarse fresh bread crumbs
    1/4 cup chopped basil
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    Vegetable oil -- for sautéing
    8 toasted buns
    Smoky Red Pepper Spread and thickly sliced red onions -- for serving

1. In a saucepan, cover the beans with 2 inches of water. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 1 hour; add water as needed to keep the beans covered by 2 inches. When the beans are tender, season them with salt and let stand for 5 minutes; drain.

2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the farro and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups of water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until the grains are al dente, 30 minutes.

3. In a small skillet, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the diced onion and cook over moderate heat until softened. Add the crushed red pepper and garlic and cook until fragrant, 2 minutes.

4. In a food processor, pulse all but 1/2 cup of the beans to a chunky puree; transfer to a bowl. Fold in the remaining 1/2 cup of beans, the farro, the onion mixture, eggs, bread crumbs, basil, cilantro, pepper and 1 teaspoon of salt. Form the mixture into 8 patties. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

5. In a large, nonstick skillet, heat 1/8 inch of vegetable oil. Add the burgers and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until browned and heated through, about 6 minutes. Transfer the burgers to the buns. Top with the Smoky Red Pepper Spread and the onion slices, close the burgers and serve.

6. The burgers can be prepared through Step 4 and refrigerated overnight.

Servings: 8

Source: foodandwine.com

I freeze homemade veggie burgers all the time. I freeze them individually between wax paper, then slightly thaw in the microwave and fan fry.

They are much better than Morningstar Farms.

I agree, I freeze homeade veggie burgers all the time. They are so much better than storebought veggie burgers. I also freeze them individually. I don't usually thaw them.

I freeze them. Some work well and some don't. I don't think I've tried bean ones, though. I do a couple different nut ones and those freeze quite well, but there's an oat one that doesn't.

I usually freeze them after cooking, but with the nut ones that's just because I want to be able to throw them in a casserole dish, cover them with gravy and bake them. I'm sure they'd probably work fine like Merley said, layered in wax paper.
    For those in touch with it, Reality is the leading cause of stress.

Thanks for the responses! I assume based on Tovie's response it's going to work better if I at least par-cook them before freezing?

Michelle