Community Message Boards

Thread: Can roasted vegetables be made ahead and reheated?

Can roasted vegetables be made ahead and reheated?

I'm making Ellie Krieger's jewel roasted potatoes for dinner tomorrow night but also need the oven for other items. Has anyone ever roasted vegetables up to a day in advance (same day would be ok for me too) and then reheated? Do they turn out ok? The recipe has carrots, beets, and brussels sprouts. I'm thinking of adding some butternut squash as well. Thanks!

Of course they can, but I don't think they'll be as great as when freshly made. They'll lose their crisp, browned edges and just be heated instead of roasted.

I agree. Have you ever reheated french fries? Not so good.

I often roast veges and take the left overs to work the next day for lunch. I agree with the above posters - the reheated veges not as good as they were fresh from the oven. Could you roast them till almost done, put aside and use the oven for your other items, and then stick them back in the oven for a few minutes?
    Anne

Thank you! Reading all your comments - I should have known! Wishful thinking, I guess. I need two ovens!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!

I received an enormous amount of veggies from the CSA I joined this year, and I have made several batches of roasted vegetables. I don't usually finish all of them the first night, and I have had a lot of them as leftovers. I have found that they don't taste as good leftover, but I still think they have really good flavor. I also like mixing them into a green salad. Yum! I wouldn't roast vegetables ahead for company though if that it is what you were planning. I would make those fresh.

I completely agree with everyone else, but....... I included a ton of roasted veggies on my Thanksgiving menu last year, but didn't have the oven space. I made many trays of them (maybe 4 sheet pans or more?). When I took them out of the oven, I just let them sit uncovered (putting foil over them just gives them a bath). After they were completely cooled, and far less volume than when they started, I combined them onto 2 large trays, drizzled with a tiny bit of o.o., and gave them a last minute heat up in a 450 oven.

Did they taste as amazing as roasted veggies fresh out of the oven? Not exactly, but they were delicious...and every last one of them was devoured. I was talking to my brother about this year's menu, and he said, just make those roasted veggies!!

I'm making them again, a few hours ahead of the dinner.

Enjoy.