Community Message Boards

Thread: MasterCook 8 and Windows 7

Unhappy MasterCook 8 and Windows 7

We bought a new computer and my husband installed MasterCook on it and it won't work. Has anybody else had this problem? I had over 2000 recipes that I put in it and they all disappeared! My husband feels so bad and worked for hours trying to find it and re-install it but to no avail. It looks like MasterCook is not compatible with Windows 7. I have been unable to find any information about it on the Internet. Any help would be appreciated. Even if we can't find my recipes I would be happy to at least have the software to use to start adding more recipes.

Mary Ann

Not a Mastercook user, but you mentioned having quite a few recipes already stored and a new computer. Did you store the recipes on one computer and are now trying to copy them to the new computer? If so, aren't they still on the older computer?

I happen to use Living Cookbook (2008) and just checked their fora - people are reporting successful use with Windows 7 so that might be an alternative (albeit more involved) if the Mastercook folks don't have a patch.

Michelle

It doesn't look like it is known yet if it is compatible or not: Windows 7 Compatibility

If you look under Windows Vista Compatibility, it shows it is not compatible, so maybe they are trying to figure it out still.
    Maria

Quote Originally Posted by Bawstinn View Post
    If you look under Windows Vista Compatibility, it shows it is not compatible, so maybe they are trying to figure it out still.
    Interesting - I am running MC 9.0 on Vista, and other than a few hiccups with access/permission issues, it has been working fine. Until recently, that is, when I installed the updates for Internet Explorer 8. Now the web recipe import feature doesn't work, - either I get script error messages when I select the text, or nothing happens at all.

Thank you for the responses. It looks like it isn't compatible with Windows 7.

Michelle, I did have the recipes on the old computer but when my husband installed it and everything appeared to work he erased the hard drive and now they are gone! When I opened MC to get a recipe the cookbooks came on the screen and when I tried to open one they all disappeared--my heart sunk. We were unable to retrieve them.

Just installed Windows 7...glad to hear it's compatable w/ Living Cookbook, as I'm getting ready to order...I undertand it also has Weight Watchers points.

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Thanks for posting. Sorry for your loss. I feel your pain. That's a lot of recipes to lose. I have lost recipes with past computer crashes. I got a new computer a couple of years ago. Recently I was given the choice to update to Windows 7 (free because of the purchase date) but I wasn't sure of if it would cause software compatibility problems. I decided to stick with the dreaded Windows Vista. I'm so glad I didn't update. I love my MasterCook 9. I've been using it since MC 4.

tholbrook ... I have all the updates to IE 8. MC 9 web import feature still works for me. 2 things you have to remember: run IE 8 as administrator and open it as a separate window (not a tab).

Quote Originally Posted by Gulfstreamer View Post

Michelle, I did have the recipes on the old computer but when my husband installed it and everything appeared to work he erased the hard drive and now they are gone! When I opened MC to get a recipe the cookbooks came on the screen and when I tried to open one they all disappeared--my heart sunk. We were unable to retrieve them.
    Have you looked in the new computer's directory structure for your Mastercook recipe database? I assume he copied it over from the previous computer as part of your data backup/move. If you know the file name/extension and can find it, you should still have your recipes, they just may not be accessible with your new computer (or, as some folks are mentioning regarding access control for the web import, you may just need to run MC as administrator). Or it could be that the recipe database is just in a folder other than the one MC expects it to be in.

Does MC have an on-line help board? Maybe someone there can help. Don't panic yet - if the recipe file was copied over, it's got to be somewhere. I can imagine how you feel - I have thousands of recipes in Living Cookbook and would be crushed if I lost them.

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer101 View Post
    tholbrook ... I have all the updates to IE 8. MC 9 web import feature still works for me. 2 things you have to remember: run IE 8 as administrator and open it as a separate window (not a tab).
    Thanks ... I'll have to look into this. I had all the settings "correct" with the previous version of IE, so maybe it went back to the default settings with the upgrade.

Mary Ann, we do have a resident MasterCook "expert" on this board: PamN - and I believe she is also involved in another MC help forum as well. I'm hoping that she'll see this thread and weigh in. Good luck! I would be absolutely devestated if I lost all my MC cookbooks.

Quote Originally Posted by tholbrook View Post
    Interesting - I am running MC 9.0 on Vista, and other than a few hiccups with access/permission issues, it has been working fine. Until recently, that is, when I installed the updates for Internet Explorer 8. Now the web recipe import feature doesn't work, - either I get script error messages when I select the text, or nothing happens at all.
    I don't have vista but IE 8 does do this when I select the text when using the import bar. All I normally have to do is open another window of IE and it normally fixes the problem. I do get the script errors a lot when IE opens as well. Hope it works for you if you try it.
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by tea4one View Post
    I don't have vista but IE 8 does do this when I select the text when using the import bar. All I normally have to do is open another window of IE and it normally fixes the problem. I do get the script errors a lot when IE opens as well. Hope it works for you if you try it.
    I'll have to try this. I am running XP and I get the same problem. Often it tells me I don't have any text highlighted. Other times it chokes when I go to import the recipes to a cookbook. Tells me there was some sort of error and no recipes found.
    Maria

Update

My husband has spent days working on this problem. The files are there but when we retrieve them and I open a cookbook and look at a recipe it deletes the cookbook. It just won't read the files and it also caused some other problems with the computer. When he removed MC the problems went away. My only salvation is that he has some of my MC on his laptop because we travel in our RV and I sometimes need recipes. However, he hasn't updated it for awhile and I don't have the latest recipes that I added. I am grateful to at least have some of them.

I guess I will have to buy Living Cookbook and use it instead. I have to have a place for all of my recipes and meal planning.

Thank you very much for all of your suggestions and help. At least others can learn from my experience.

Don't discard those cookbook files yet - I haven't checked the LC support board, but it may be that they'll have a conversion utility and you might be able to pull them in if/when you get LC.

Michelle

It WILL work!!!

Gulfstreamer,

You CAN run MasterCook quite well on Windows 7. There are a few early-adopters on the yahoo discussion group who have done so.

Windows is stashing your cookboks off in your VirtualStore folder -- you need to change your settings according to this faq:

http://mc6help.tripod.com/mastercook_and_vista.htm

Once you've got your settings changed, your cookbooks should stay where they belong -- as long as you always run MC as administrator.

Incidentally, for Help files, you need to download WinHlp32.exe from Microsoft -- here's a link that goes to both the Vista and Win7 versions:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917607

I've just ordered a new laptop with Windows 7. I'm hoping that I will be able to transfer all my MC 8 recipes over successfully. Since PamN posted the links, has anyone been able to do it? I don't want to buy MC 11 just for it to work with Windows 7 as I don't see any real updates with the program itself. Any input is appreciated except for suggesting new recipe software - I love MC.

Wouldn't it work if you install MC 11 and then move your MC cookbooks jnto it. I have a new laptop with Windows 7 and am using MC 11 with no problems.
    "Let food be thy medicine" ~ Hippocrates

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose View Post
    Wouldn't it work if you install MC 11 and then move your MC cookbooks jnto it. I have a new laptop with Windows 7 and am using MC 11 with no problems.
    I'm sure that woud work, but I'm trying to avoid buying MC11 because I don't care about any new cookbooks that might come with it, and I'm fine with the features of MC8. I have the original disc from MC8 so I will install that when the laptop gets here. Thanks anyway.

So I loaded MC8 on my new laptop from the original disc and then copied all the cookbooks over, and NO problems, so it works. I'm not sure why others had problems.

You are not alone in your difficutlies - I transferred once and lost everything.

The next time I did better - but I had to initially look for things, and thought at first I lost everything.

Everyone has given you great advice - so hang in there and check it all out. Hopefully - you still have the old files to go back to until you get this resolved.

It seems to me that unfortunately, cooking software has a little way to come to make it to the 21st century. Maybe not enough of a target audience? It is unfortunate that with the advances made in computers and software that continues to be a problem for us!

Good luck!

Andrea

I got a new computer with Windows 7. I was running Mastercook 8 with no problems. I bought and installed MC 14 last week and following FAQ on Mastercook and help from our own catbatty (Brenda) was able to transfer my cookbooks from MC 8 to 14.

MC 14 is great. I'm just beginning to learn what it can do.

Don't despair. It can be done.
    -Susan
    Be the person your dog thinks you are

Hi all,
    Yep, MC8 works on Win7.
    Until recently, when I upgraded to MC14, I had MC9 running my Win7, 64-bit and it did great on it.

This is important: IF any of you MC folks, or those even thinking of trying MC, want help or info, you can join MC's discussion group OR go to www.mastercook.com and read/test out the new import toolbar feature, or write to the helpers. It's a great resource for us recipe folks. (My dear friend PamE (and others) is at both the discussion group and also the website to help folks.)

You are never alone.

One more thing: it is a good idea to keep backups of all your cookbooks and recipes. (I use an online service that automatically backs up.) Personally, I keep all my cookbooks outside of the program itself. I do NOT use the My Collections nor do I use the My Recipes. I make my own Collection folders and my own cookbooks. Why? Each version of MC comes with My Collections and My Recipes. I don't want to chance overwriting an empty new one over my full old one when I upgrade.

That's just me. I dunno if they have currently made it so that you cannot override those areas. It's no biggy. I just want my valuable collection safe from any over-rides...just in case. SO, I keep all my cookbooks (and I have thousands) in C: in a folder that has Collections (folders) inside it. My MC cookbooks in ONE place--to point my backup software at.

Unlike many recipe softwares, you can tell MC to put collections to sleep....not be seen...and so, you don't have to have everything come open when you start MC. Helps with speed and you can store more without overloading the system. (Once you have zillions of photos inside cookbooks and you have maybe thousands of recipes and cookbooks, it can be a huge mass to load otherwise.) It's technical and the techie folks are always raving about this ability of MC.

SO, often, when folks think they've LOST their cookbooks, it's really not so. MC just needs to be told to wake up those cookbooks. It's NOTHING. But it looks to folks like: OH MY GOD, THEY'VE been tossed into the ether!! Nope. Just go (inside MC) to Tools/Manage Collections and click Add on any collection you want to bring out of dormancy.

Edited to say: AND, say a friend sends you a cookbook (called MC2) and you have dropped it into one of your active collections...be SURE to hit REFRESH in your MC...to make it active (else MC won't see it and you will wonder where it went).
    Last edited by catbatty; 08-07-2013 at 12:58 PM.