Community Message Boards

Thread: Prune fat substitute

Question Prune fat substitute

Have any of you ever tried the pureed prune stuff as a substitute for butter? I see it every time I go to the store but it is fairly costly so I always just stick with unsweetened applesauce. Any input would be apprecaited...what is the texture of the finished product, and please tell me that it does NOT taste "pruney"!
    Thanks,
    Heather

Diona Guest

Smile

Hi there~
    I make my own prune substitution all the time and it's great! Simply put 3/4 cup prunes with 1/4 cup boiling water in food processor. I only use this mixture for dark colored baked goods thought. Good luck

I've found that you can substitute baby strained prunes for the fat substitute. I, too, only use it for the darker baked goods. There's also another, lighter-colored, fat substitute that I've used with very good results.

fat fruit replacement is sold in the area where you get your oil, shortening etc.
    Sunsweet (its a glass jar & refrigerate after opening) is very good and I use it frequently in low fat baking. You can also make your own prune puree.

Prune butter
    Combine in food processor and process 5 seconds:
    1/3 c pitted prunes
    1 tsp sugar
    2 tsp light colored corn syrup
    With processor on slowly add 2 tablespoons water through water chute; process until smooth, scraping bowl frequently

Talking

I also use the baby food pureed prunes. The small container size is usually small enough that I don't have a lot of leftovers and like the others I would recommend it for darker baked goods - it is used in many reduced fat chocolate recipes.

Question

I guess I missed something along the way. I have heard of the fat substitute and seen it at the grocery store but really don't know how to use it. I love the idea of baby food prunes or making your own, but tell me how do I use it. Do I substitute the full amount of fat ingredient for prune mixture? If the recipe is light in color, should applesauce be used for substitution? Please educate me on this. Does it also alter the flavor of the recipe?

Mamasue:
    I use Lighter Bake (Sunsweet) and its a butter/oil replacement. It comes with a usage chart on the label. Basically you will substitute the oil & use this product. Whenever you are cutting on fat in a recipe you must minimize mixing & coat pans with cooking spray. It works nicely in cakes, muffins and cookies like oatmeal/raisin.
    C Light as well as Eating Well had articles about them and I posted C Light's prune butter which I used for black bottom cheesecake cups etc. You can make your own or buy the Sunsweet product. There is another lighter color product which I did not care for.
    Hope this info helps.

Thumbs up

Thank you Vanessa! I am going to check out Sunsweet when I make the next trip to the store. I appreciate your help.

Question

Is there any difference between using the Lighter Bake and applesauce? I've never used the Lighter Bake because applesauce has been a less costly alternative, but if the Lighter Bake works better.......?

Thanks,
    Cheryl