Community Message Boards

Thread: Turkey help! Oven bag or no?

Turkey help! Oven bag or no?

I'm hosting my first Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow and we've bought a 20-pound fresh turkey from a local farm. The folks at the farm recommend using an oven bag, but I have no experience with those...has anyone used one before? Pros and cons?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

DW's stepmom always used an oven bag to "roast" the turkey. All it really does is steam the turkey. They just don't taste right after being cooked in one of those bags. I don't recommend using it.
    One of the supposed "pros" is ease of cleanup, but the bags always leaked, so there wasn't any benefit there.

Check out this old discussion...
    http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...urkey+reynolds

Personally, I use them sometimes because I seem to be a bit impaired when it comes to cooking a whole turkey...breast cooked perfectly but dark meat still pink or dark meat done and breast dry! So using the bags is easier and more fool-proof for me.

My mother uses a bag. I've never tried one. How does the tablespoon of flour in the bag prevent bag from bursting? Doesn't seem natural to put a turkey in a bag.

Thanks, everyone!

I'm kind of with dreamer101 on this...seems kinda unnatural to cook a turkey in a bag, but after reading the old thread on this topic, it does have many fans.

I wonder if this method was recommended by the folks at the farm because a free-range turkey might be leaner than, say, a Butterball, and so it makes it more moist?

I'm going to brine it first, but I'm still on the fence about this whole oven bag business. I guess I picture the turkey coming out of the oven bag looking limp and soggy, instead of golden brown and crisp, but I'm sure that wouldn't be the case. Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by CookinginMaine View Post
    I guess I picture the turkey coming out of the oven bag looking limp and soggy, instead of golden brown and crisp, but I'm sure that wouldn't be the case. Hmmm.
    I don't know anything about cooking free-range turkeys, but if you want skin that is golden and crisp...the bag may not be for you. Maybe you should start a new thread asking for the best method for cooking a free-range turkey???

The skin was never crisp when coming out of those bags. It did have some color, but nothing like what an oven roasted bird looks like.

You can get a similar experience, though the skin will be crispy and brown, from cooking the bird, totally wrapped in foil. It actually steams it, cooks a 450* much faster than other methods. When I was a new bride, turkey dinners were my go-to for company, cooked this way! Just no hassle.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!