Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you tip the newspaper delivery guy?

Do you tip the newspaper delivery guy?

We get the NYT delivered on Saturday and Sunday. Today's paper had a Christmas card from the delivery guy with his address. It never occurred to me that I was supposed to tip the guy. I will admit to being one of the scrooges that thinks tipping has gotten out of hand so my first inclination is to skip the tip. But will my paper end up in the rose bushes if I do?! If I decide to go ahead with the tip, how much is appropriate?

My mom also mentioned that she tips the trash guys($20). I've never done that either!
    Karen

I do not tip my trash guys. I've climbed down the sewer to retrieve my lid too many times. Or, I have to go two blocks down to retrieve my can because they will NOT put them in the grass. They leave them in the street.

I don't tip my newspaper person because I have NO idea who it is. However, he does a pretty good job. I liked it better when our paper was an afternoon delivery and I actually knew the delivery person.

I tip the newspaper delivery person when I renew my subscription. There is a space for a tip on the renewal form. I hope he actually gets it.

I presume we're talking holiday tips: I tip the newspaper people, the mailman and other people who provide regular services to me all year like my hairdresser though I don't tip the trash guys. That never occurred to me plus I don't even know if we have the same people every week. Maybe that's different depending on where you live. I found the below and if you scroll down there's a section on Christmas tipping etiquette:

http://www.findalink.net/tippingetiquette.php

I had to laugh about the tip for the personal trainer which says "upon reaching goal" - if my trainer had to wait until that happened he!! would be more likely to freeze over before she got paid!
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

Yes, I do. The paper is always, always here, rain, snow, whatever, on days I can't imagine what it must be like to drag yourself out early in the morning to get this done, and it's always carefully bagged, with double bagging in wet weather.

I also don't imagine, at least up here with independent drivers using their own cars, these are people who have a lot of money.

Bob

I always tip my newspaper delivery person. He usually includes a "holiday greeting" in a newspaper at some point, which I take as a "hint" for a tip. I actually appreciate it, because I send him the tip directly. The newspaper has an "official" way to tip, but I want to make sure the guy actually gets it, AND that he knows it came from me.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226 View Post
    Yes, I do. The paper is always, always here, rain, snow, whatever, on days I can't imagine what it must be like to drag yourself out early in the morning to get this done, and it's always carefully bagged, with double bagging in wet weather.

I also don't imagine, at least up here with independent drivers using their own cars, these are people who have a lot of money.

Bob
    You sold me with the double bagging! He always double bags in wet weather. So, how much do I send him?
    Karen

I am embarrassed to admit that I don't know how to send out these Christmas tips. For example, I would love to tip the UPS delivery person. As an Amazon Prime member, UPS is always at my house. But they deliver when I am at work. So how do I tip? And what about the mail carrier? My mailbox is a locked community mailbox. They don't expect to see incoming mail in those slots and will just assume it was left over mail from the day before.

So how do you tip?
    "Broken cookies don't have calories" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamon Crazy View Post
    I am embarrassed to admit that I don't know how to send out these Christmas tips. For example, I would love to tip the UPS delivery person. As an Amazon Prime member, UPS is always at my house. But they deliver when I am at work. So how do I tip? And what about the mail carrier? My mailbox is a locked community mailbox. They don't expect to see incoming mail in those slots and will just assume it was left over mail from the day before.

So how do you tip?
    Well, my paper deliverer does send a card with her address in it, so I send it directly to her.

We tip the UPS guy as well, because I see him often when he is here and he is very helpful. Would you consider getting a gift card and leaving it taped to your door or wherever he'd see it and mark it "UPS Delivery person"?

The mailman is a little trickier. I don't think they are supposed to receive cash, and gifts are supposed to be under $20 or something. Again, I leave it in my mailbox, but if that is not an option, I am not sure what you could to. Could you leave it in your mailbox in a little box, with "Letter Carrier" written on it in bright colors or something? So it stands out as not a leftover letter~
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

I used to tip the kid on the bicycle because A) it's a kid on a bicycle and B) because it's a kid on a bicycle. Getting up early, before school, and delivering the paper in all weather conditions and with bleary eyed drivers to avoid earned that tip. (Although I did see mom or dad helping the kid out in really bad conditions. Well, as bad as it gets here in San Diego. )
    Now that adults in the warmth of their cars are doing it, no tip. Now it's just a job.
    Last edited by Hammster; 11-29-2009 at 03:57 PM.

I'm with Bob on tipping the paper carrier. After having inconsistent delivery service we really appreciate the reliability of service we've received for the past few years. Although I have never met our carrier she has provided us with her cell phone number if there is any delivery issue. One year her daughter came trick-or-treating and told me she delivered our paper with her mom. Plastic bagging, always at the front door, and every single day it's there for us when we open the door. Really used to get our tails in a knot when it was not delivered and you never knew when that might happen.

Our carrier also gives us a Happy Holiday card and her mailing address. She has also given us a heads-up when she will have a substitute covering her route. Even during last winter's unusual snow (western WA drivers don't do snow well) she had our paper here.

Soooooo, I started thinking about how much we tip food servers when eating out, as well as hair stylist each appointment, and compared time/effort to our carrier's time/effort. I realized if I put one single dollar aside each day it would seem like very little money for guaranteed delivery. So that's what I have done every day this year and I'm certain her family will be able to use the money.

Let me add that our front door is not throwing distance from the street yet really too close for driving and turning around.

Linda ~

Absolutely! I love having my paper here, on time, and dry.

I don't tip the newspaper delivery people. My neighborhood goes through many delivery people each year, and the Christmas delivery person usually quits sometime soon after the holiday.

We have several people who deliver the mail in my neighborhood during the course of each week, so I don't have a regular mailman.

I only tip my hairdresser. I also tip waiters really well during the holidays.

Does that make me a Scrooge?

I do not tip the UPS guy, the mail man, the trash guys (altho one year, we had extra Holiday garbage and we left them a 12-pack of German beer.... they were very happy and thanked us profusely!!!)

But I DO tip the newspaper delivery person... I love getting my paper on time, double bagged and dry each morning. I usually send about one month's subscription fee ($15.00) when he leaves us the xmas card.
    Keep Calm & Eat More Bacon !!

Quote Originally Posted by TitlePending View Post
    I realized if I put one single dollar aside each day it would seem like very little money for guaranteed delivery. So that's what I have done every day this year and I'm certain her family will be able to use the money.

Linda ~
    Are you saying you will tip her $365?! If so you are way more generous than I!

Can anyone else tell me how much they tip? He delivers 2 days a week.
    Karen

I will buy gift cards from a local store for the UPS guy and the mail guy. I know who both are and they do a great job.

The newspaper guy, however, will get nada from me. Although he's good about bagging it in wet weather, it is hardly ever on time and when I call the newspaper office to report the missing paper, they typically say "whatever, he'll be there". Sometimes he is and sometimes he isn't. They won't bring you another one any more either, unless it's on Sunday. If it weren't for the sports section, crossword puzzle, Soduko (I spelled that wrong) and jumble, I'd quit it.

Kate

I don't tip anyone except the doormen and maintenance guys in my condo. I used to give my hair dresser a present at Christmas but that was a gift from the heart as I had known him for 20 years and I would enjoy finding him chicken objects as he collected chickens.

I don't tip the valet guys but that's because I generally park my own car -- if I use their services I will tip them at that point.

I don't tip the mail person or newspaper delivery person.

I top hair personnel at my current salon when they perform services and I am fairly generous to waiters all through the year and I don't do any adjustments in December.

I don't quite understand the whole culture of tipping. FWIW I have stopped exchanging meaningless gifts with people and completely eliminated holiday cards except for a few people who I gift with a personal mix CD compiled for their musical sensibilities -- but that's a quasi-gift.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

I had the worst newspaper delivery guy and definitely wasn't giving him any tips beyond get out of bed and do your job. I'd call and complain about my newspaper not being delivered before I left for work at 7:15am and the newspaper would tell me a sad story about how this particular guy has "too many irons in the fire". Not my problem, I subscribe to the newspaper and expect it to be delivered. They wouldn't ever get that problem fixed and wouldn't give me credit for the days he didn't get the papers delivered on time, so I canceled.

I've never tipped the UPS or Fed Ex guy either - trust me, I know they make more money than I do, and no one is tipping me.

You all still get actual physical newspapers?? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammster View Post
    I used to tip the kid on the bicycle because A) it's a kid on a bicycle and B) because it's a kid on a bicycle. Getting up early, before school, and delivering the paper in all weather conditions and with bleary eyed drivers to avoid earned that tip. (Although I did see mom or dad helping the kid out in really bad conditions. Well, as bad as it gets here in San Diego. )
    Now that adults in the warmth of their cars are doing it, no tip. Now it's just a job.
    I totally agree with this.

When the papers were delivered to my front door by the neighborhood kids, they got a weekly AND a seasonal tip. Nowadays the guy from a different town who delivers the papers barely slows down his nice new car (nicer than mine, BTW) to toss the papers out and over the top of the car to (hopefully) land at the end of my long, steep driveway. Most of the year I deal with it without getting too upset (unless he misses and it's out in the street to be driven over by other cars) but when it snows in the winter I can't tell you how many times the papers have been chewed up and spit out by the snowblower because they can't be seen underneath the snow (even though we put up a box at the end of the driveway for him to put the papers into -- it means that he would have to stop and lean out the passenger side window, heavens forbid!)

Paper deliverers DO get paid, BTW -- they receive a percentage of the # of papers they deliver, and when they deliver by car, they usually have pretty big "routes", so for a few hours every AM they are making fairly decent money for driving around and tossing papers out their car windows. As Hamm says, "Now it's just a job".
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    You all still get actual physical newspapers?? :-)
    YES!! Please consider subscribing to a real newspaper. The internet and TV "news" only reports so much. Newspapers are one of the last checks we have on our elected officials. I can point to numerous stories that were broken by our local press and resulted in changes/consequences to government officials or other people in power. As for local TV news. . . .don't get me started

When we lived in a neighborhood where we'd find it on the front porch then I did. Now we live rurally I have to hoof it out to the end of the driveway to fetch it so not so much.

Now, ask me about my mailman The man is a saint. I don't tip him either but he always looks forward to my baked goods stashed in the mailbox for him!
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Yes, I do. The paper is always, always here, rain, snow, whatever, on days I can't imagine what it must be like to drag yourself out early in the morning to get this done, and it's always carefully bagged, with double bagging in wet weather....independent drivers using their own cars.
    Well said! Newspaper carriers (both school boys and adults)get paid for delivering an X-number of papers.

Out of that they must purchase, from the newspaper, the plastic bags and rubber bands used to protect your paper from rain and snow. Adults, who cover larger territories must buy gas, etc. as well as drive in stormy and icy weather.

Don't automatically assume that it is the carrier's fault if yiour paper gets delivered late. Local carriers who deliver out-of-town newspapers are often delayed because of the late time the paper was delivered to them.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Shugness View Post
    I've never tipped the UPS or Fed Ex guy either - trust me, I know they make more money than I do, and no one is tipping me.
    My UPS driver is a Teamster earning about $75,000+ a year so I don't see a need to tip him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
    My UPS driver is a Teamster earning about $75,000+ a year so I don't see a need to tip him.
    Let me rephase that then....he makes more than me and Mr. Shug combined!

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post

I didn't realize it was that much, and my guy is great, but I've never even thought to tip them because I know their pay and benefits are high. Besides, Jimmy has painfully skinny, unappealing legs that don't do those shorts justice.

I have to admit I don't feel I have to tip postal workers either and mine makes me look like Mr. Sunshine.

Bob

I have to admit I don't feel I have to tip postal workers either and mine makes me look like Mr. Sunshine.
    Just an FYI about tipping postal workers -- I know many people do it and, I'm sure it would be hard to prove, but giving postal workers tips put them at risk for violating federal law. They are not allowed to accept monetary gifts of any amount.

To address the original question, I do not tip our newspaper delivery guy. I guess I could call the newspaper and ask who s/he is, but our paper is delivered before I wake up in the morning and, I don't receive a bill because the price is automatically charged to my credit card each month. I don't know who the delivery guy is, I've never seen him/her and, I don't even know what time the paper is delivered so I wouldn't know how to get the tip to the person.

Bob
    That's funny -- mine's grumpy, too, although the mail is there on time, unlike my newspaper. Grrr.

Kate

FWIW, postal carriers cannot accept cash gifts but can accept other nominal gifts. When we have tipped our mail carrier in the past, we've done it with a small gift card:

While many Postal Service™ customers have traditionally thanked their mail carrier with gifts of cash during the holiday season, this practice puts our employees at risk of violating federal law. The Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Executive Branch ("Standards"), specifies that Postal Service employees may not accept gifts from outside sources (including Postal Service customers) or gifts given to them because of their official positions. Postal Service employees are also prohibited from soliciting gifts from outside sources.

There are a number of exceptions and exclusions to the general gifts rule. Postal Service employees may accept the following items:

Snacks and beverages that are not offered as part of a meal.
    Items with little intrinsic value (i.e., greeting cards, plaques, pens, coffee mugs, etc.).
    Perishable items (i.e., flowers, chocolates, cookies, etc.); if the items are clearly worth more than $20, employees should share them with others in the Postal Service workplace.
    Items with a market (retail) value of $20 or less.
    Gifts motivated solely because of a personal relationship.
    Gifts for which the employee has paid market (retail) value.
    Gifts paid for by the Postal Service.
    Postal Service employees may not accept cash - in any amount or form (bills, checks, money orders) - from an outside source.

For further information, please contact the U.S. Postal Service® Law Department's Ethics Helpline at 202-268-6346, or send an email message to ethics.help@usps.gov .

I tip people who go "above and beyond" during the year for me. I do tip the mailman and the UPS guy. We get a LOT of boxes, etc. that do not fit in our mailbox, and our mailman always comes to the door and/or leaves them secured on our porch. He helped us find a wayward package from Barnes & Noble this year too, when it was B&N's fault in misaddressing it. So, I think he spends more time/effort delivering my mail than that of my neighbors, and I am happy to tip him.

The UPS guy is also at the house a lot. We have a dog who is out a lot and he is careful to look and not back the truck into the driveway if he sees the dog. He also doesn't mind being slobbered on by Shadow when he is delivering which he encourages by bringing him treats. He also is the UPS guy for my office, and will frequently go back to his truck to get me a package and give it to me at work so he knows I have received it, rather than leaving it at home.

True story: Years ago, when my kids were toddlers/infants, I did ALL my Christmas and other shopping via catalog/internet. The UPS guy gave ME and my kids a Christmas gift of a miniature UPS truck and a teddy bear! That's when I knew I was spending way too much time in the house!