Community Message Boards

Thread: how to know if my turkey is safe to cook

how to know if my turkey is safe to cook

My question is regarding how to tell if my turkey is safe to cook.

To make a long story short, I ended up taking a frozen turkey out of the freezer to defrost. It ended up being on the counter, in cold water, back in the refrigerator, two days later back on the counter again. I'm embarrased to say I forgot about it so it was out for quite a few hours. It then went back into the refrigerator.

This spanned from a Saturday or Sunday to today(Wednesday)

It always felt cold to touch, but I know it was thawed for a while.
    I took it out today and it looks and smells fine. Is it ok?

Information I read on other sites said that if poultry is spoiled you will know for sure by its smell. This one smells fine. Is this the only way to know or can it look and smell fine, but be bad?

This is an easy call........toss it!

Yeah, especially since Thanksgiving is over and all. Probably not many people waiting to eat it, I bet they've made other choices at this point.

Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

I would hate to toss it...but I would hate it more if the people I prepared it for (myself included) became extremely ill...!!

Welcome to the boards Still Learning! Hope to see more posts from you.
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." – Julia Child

Red face

Thank you for your input. I guess I will go ahead and throw it out.

I spent a few years in another country and it seemed people survived a lot that we as Americans are afraid of. It changed me from ultra cautious to being a little more risky. It's tough to throw out such a big bird that looks so good still.

But I agree...better safe than sorry!

Y'know, being totally serious here, I'm thinking that if you deep fried the thing, you most likely kill anything that might be lurking on/in it...
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

I'd toss it as well, and goodness knows I like cooking turkeys.

By the time meat smells bad, it has already gone bad for quite awhile (it spoils for awhile, bacteria growing, b4 it gets so bad you can smell it). And you haven't had food poisoning until you've had bad-poultry food poisoning. For the 20 bucks the turkey cost, it's just not worth it. It's better to wonder if you've tossed good meat than to be SURE you ate bad meat.

Sorry for your turkey loss! Welcome to the boards!
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

I'm one who trusts my immune system and digestive system but even this, based on info provided, would be a bit much for me. I agree to toss it.