Community Message Boards

Thread: Christmas Thank You Gift for Health Care Workers?

Hybrid View

Christmas Thank You Gift for Health Care Workers?

My Mom has dementia/alzeheimers/parkinsons and is in a wonderful Long Term Care Facility.

Mom is in a secured area of only 20 residents.

I am so very greatful for all of the wonderful people that give her such great care.

What to do as a gift for Christmas? I am not a baker and I'm sure they will receive lots of cookies and squares.

Any suggestions will be warmly considered!

Danita

What a thoughtful gesture! I assure you it will be most appreciated.

If baking is not an option, how about a basket of specialty coffees, teas and cocoa mixes? Those would be very welcome in any unit (and they would complement any cookies they DO recieve).
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

I tried to get a ton of food for my optometrist's office one year when they were extremely nice to me; they were polite but said "wow...all this stuff within weeks."
    Apparently various reps invest a lot on their doctors/med staff during this time.

Simple and not food would be my suggestion; if you want to do food, do it when it isn't everyone and their brother sending it everywhere.
    Just my humble opinion.

By the way, great that you have help that you find so valuable and kind. A great thing!
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    Apparently various reps invest a lot on their doctors/med staff during this time.
    Actually, that is not the case (or at least it shouldn't be!) any more. The laws have become very strict in the past few years about "freebies" from vendors. At our hospital, they cannot buy us lunch or bring in doughnuts or free pens or notepads or anything that might be construed as a gift in order to avoid a conflict of interest. I think this is pretty standard for most hospitals and physicians offices now.

Even gifts from families such as we are discussing here have to be to the entire unit as opposed to an individual to prevent the appearance of favoritism in patient care.

If you don't wish to do a food gift, the suggestion of assorted hand lotions sounds like a great idea as well! I would probably suggest some that are deep moisturizing and healing types as opposed to perfumed ones. Medical staff wash their hands constantly and are prone to dry and chapped hands in the winter.

This is not to say that an office may not have a lot of sweet treats brought in at this time of year, but they should NOT be from vendors.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

what about doing a large flower arrangement for the nurses station or for their common area? Something everyone can enjoy. And not food.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

I like the idea of coffee/tea basket as well, but if there are only 20 residents, you may have gotten a chance to get to know each caregiver individually on some level. If this is the case, then I think a personal holiday card to each person, telling them specifically what their care has meant to your mother and you, would be the most meaningful.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

As you already realize, you are so blessed for your mom to have such wonderful care.

Maybe you could give them a card with a promise of delicious homemade goods after the first of the year, but I am thinking that a long term health facility like your mom is in, wouldn't have Reps. sending a lot of food, like a physicians office would.

You are very sweet to remember your mom's caretakers like this.

Joyce
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

When I worked in the Intensive Care Unit here, we would always get a TON of cookies/candy/bars. One the most unique things we ever got was pizza from the family of a patient...they came three times so that day, evening, and night people could each have some!

Another thing that might work well would be to bring in a sandwich bar, where they can fix their own whenever they have a chance to during a shift. Some bread, cold cuts, cheeses, something for vegetarians, veggie fixings. Maybe some chips to go with?

The hand cream is also a good idea...washing your hands often does make them chapped!

I just talked to my mom who has worked in a LTC facility, and also in an Alzheimer's Unit. Her suggestion was a box of nice candy.
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

They could probably use a nice assortment of coffee, tea, hot cocoa, and apple cider for the winter months. Those pears from Harry and David are a nice healthy treat in the midst of the sugar and fat extravaganza of the next month. A basket of lightly or nonscented hand creams? That's what comes to mind for now.

What's your budget like? Perhaps food, but not gifts to take home. Perhaps a surprise cheese and fruit/veg platter at lunch, something to give them a bit of a break during the day.

How about biscotti? You can buy it in a big box or tin - they even come individually wrapped and in a variety of flavors. This also would go well with coffee and teas.

A few years ago I started giving out boxes of clementines as gifts and they are always a huge hit. They are a nice alternative to all the sweets that are around during this time of year, are easy to peel and make a great snack. And reasonably priced too!

What great suggestions. I am tending toward the coffee/tea/cider basket and adding biscotti and clementines.

Thanks so much for all the great ideas!

Danita