Community Message Boards

Thread: A can of crushed tomatoes vs can of tomato puree.

A can of crushed tomatoes vs can of tomato puree.

Dumb question alert..... I have a large can of Muir Glen Crushed tomatoes and a large can of tomato puree. Other than one has basil, can't recall off hand which one (no biggie), I'm thinking the crushed simply has more texture to it?

Hey its tomatoes, how different can they really be.... but wow, there's a ton of varieties to choose from that sometimes confusing on what can to pick for different uses. I'm trying to use up some pantry ingredients.

Thanks.

You are right in that tomato paste is smooth and not chunky like crushed tomatoes. However, a bigger difference is that tomato paste is very concentrated. It is a paste, after all, so a lot of the water has been cooked out. They're not really interchangeable in recipes. You COULD take the tomatoes, puree, and cook down to get paste, and you can dilute paste to get a tomato sauce. But you can't just swap them out, and they usually serve different purposes in recipes.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by funniegrrl View Post
    You are right in that tomato paste is smooth and not chunky like crushed tomatoes. However, a bigger difference is that tomato paste is very concentrated. It is a paste, after all, so a lot of the water has been cooked out. They're not really interchangeable in recipes. You COULD take the tomatoes, puree, and cook down to get paste, and you can dilute paste to get a tomato sauce. But you can't just swap them out, and they usually serve different purposes in recipes.
    She asked about puree not paste. They are about the same with the crushed having more texture to it.

The only difference between crushed tomatoes and tomato puree is the crushed tomatoes will be chunky.

Not sure what recipe you are thinking about making the sub for, but I would probably go for it.
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

The only time I see purée is on imported products, otherwise I think it's always "tomato sauce".

I've found a great price on organic, DOP San Marzanos, so instead of buying crushed, I just toss a can of those in the f.p.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks everyone. I just wanted to check the difference between the two Muir Glen cans.

Peeled, whole, puree, oh my.

Off to wing some tomato sauce to go with pasta -- using the crushed tomatoes since I like it a bit chunkier. Off to open the can and see.....

Quote Originally Posted by chemistry View Post
    She asked about puree not paste. They are about the same with the crushed having more texture to it.
    DOH! Not sure why I read that as "paste."

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain