Community Message Boards

Thread: Dyson vacuum cleaners: Love them or hate them?

Dyson vacuum cleaners: Love them or hate them?

I just bought a Dyson All Floor model and I'm wondering if I really need such an expensive machine even though I got it from Target for $319. I have hardwood and tile in my house and I hate mopping. What do you all think?

We have a Dyson vacuum, and I'd have to say I'm pretty neutral - I neither love nor hate mine. It does a good job of vacuuming, but I don't think it does any better than other less expensive vacuums. I think Consumer Reports puts them in the middle of the pack, but they rate other, less expensive vacuums higher (evidently we didn't look at CR before buying ours )
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

DH and the cleaning person do the major vacuuming around here, and they love it! As a matter of fact, when I hired the cleaning person, she exclaimed how glad she was that we had a Dyson!

ETA that we bought it refurbished off the web.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

We have 4 dogs. We have gone through everything from Dirt Devil to Dyson. Usually lasting only a year or two before they are beyond repair. We finally broke down and bought an Oreck. We love our Oreck! No issues! Well worth the price!!!

Our Dyson Animal does a good job on the cat hair. Better than my previous two Hoovers.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by lsdesign View Post
    I have hardwood and tile in my house and I hate mopping. What do you all think?
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaraB View Post
    We have a Dyson vacuum, and I'd have to say I'm pretty neutral - I neither love nor hate mine.

I feel the same way ClaraB.

They are good but overpriced and over-hyped. The model Dyson that I have does not clean hardwood floors easily at all. It discharges air toward the floor which pushes pet hair, dust, a other things out of the way. I have to "chase" things on the floor with it. Not a good design IMHO. Anyone else have this problem with Dysons?

We have a Dyson Slim and I really like it. It replaced a Eureka, which replaced a Hoover in quick succession. To me, it was worth it (on sale at Christmas few years ago) because the previous two were useless after about a year.

I have had to take the Dyson in for repair, as the beater bar would not rotate, but it was covered by the warranty. It still sucked, and I love the detatchable hand wand for getting in corners.

We have white tile floors, so I vacuum than use a Shark Steamer, and that seems to do pretty well at cleaning up puppy mess.
    ________
    Colleen

Timely thread for me!

I was wondering about this as well...

My vacuum recently quit working, after a few years of decent use, and I have been looking at reviews of various machines, and was wondering how well the Dyson did.

I have two cats, and am constantly cleaning up cat hair. From what I have read, the Dyson Animal does a great job on this, but I am still having a hard time justifying the cost.

Does anyone else have other recommendations? I'll be making a purchase this week, so any advice is greatly welcomed!

Thanks!

Jamie

I use a big dust mop on my pergo floor. It's just easier and faster than the Dyson. It's a 400 sq ft great room so lot of open space. Dusting it is just a couple of passes at it. I do use the Dyson for the baseboards and around furniture in that same room but not every week. The Dyson works really well on my carpet and couch, chair seats ~ things like that.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

I'm a victim of Dyson hype. I bought one of the early models. I do like it. It replaced an old Hoover that I'd had forever, so it was a definite improvement. I think it does a great job of vacuuming the carpet and the hardwood. But I'm not crazy about the attachment option. I know it's supposed to be easy, but I find it cumbersome. I don't know if they've made improvements or not.

I know what you're saying, Gumbeaux, about having to chase the pet hair on the floor. That doesn't really bother me much. I'm just grateful it picks up all the clumps of hair my animals generously provide for me.

Btw, you do have to keep the filter clean on the Dyson. One day dh cleaned it for me and I felt like I had a new vacuum. "Oh, it does pick up dust." We clean it more regularly now.
    TKay

Quote Originally Posted by TKay View Post
    Btw, you do have to keep the filter clean on the Dyson. One day dh cleaned it for me and I felt like I had a new vacuum. "Oh, it does pick up dust." We clean it more regularly now.

What?? I thought that the Dyson is advertised as a vacuum cleaner that "doesn't loose suction".That probably means is doesn't loose suction until the filter is clogged.

No, I haven't cleaned the filter. Thanks for pointing that our. I will do that soon.

I adore my Miele (if it's possible to have affection for a vacuum ). We have 3 very active cocker spaniels, so we know dog hair!

I actually have 2. A 10 year old Platinum that is now in the motorhome and a 2 year old Aquarius for the home. They are canisters, not uprights, and both are the German-made, not Chinese-made, Mieles (you have to be careful with the current models since many of them, the mid and low end models, are now made in China).

The only repair we have ever done was early on the direct connect swivel on the Platinum acted up. Miele repaired it under warranty and it's been good for the 9 years since that repair.

Michelle

I love my Dyson Animal. I had a hoover before and the Dyson is much better than the one we had. I had 3 dogs when I bought it(now down to 2) and pet hair is a issue. We have all tile and hardwood, no carpet. I have had mine about 2.5 yrs and would buy it again, too. I have not had any issues with it.

I just wish I could find a vacuum that does not need to have underneath brushes cleaned so often. We don't have any pets but with 5 females in the house who have shoulder length or longer hair I am forever trying to get long hair from the brushes. Sometimes I need to use a pair of scissors to cut through it
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

We love our Dyson ball!

I wanted a small vacuum that was easy to empty. Our vacuums kept breaking under the wear of long hair and sewing thread.

We have wooden floors and 2 large area rugs.

I called Dyson for advice. They said to get some new super-powerful model they had. It ate our rugs, and I had no where to put it.

We returned it and bought the ball from Target. It's great!!! Stores in a really small space. Doesn't suck up the rugs. Picks up hair and thread without choking. Empties with the press of a button, no bags! And it looks kind of high tech and cool, so DH does the vacuuming!!!
    Grab the guns. I'll make pancakes. ~Sarah Conner

Quote Originally Posted by colleency View Post
    And it looks kind of high tech and cool, so DH does the vacuuming!!!
    That would be the winning argument for me, if I had a DH of course.
    newcook

It's official! I love my Dyson!

I just bought mine last night and tried it out immediately when I got home....

OMG!!!! I cannot believe how much cat hair, dirt, and who knows what else it picked up! Luckily I was home alone, so no one else could see how many times I emptied the bin.....

I already need to clean the beater bar, but given the workout it got last night, I will happily do that!

Thank you for the recommendations!

Happily back to vacuuming,
    Jamie

Jamie,
    Glad to hear you like your new Dyson. If you run out of things to vacuum, you are always welcome to come on over here to Clearwater...
    ________
    Colleen

Clearwater is a bit of a drive.... lol

I was just really amazed as how much "crap" there was in my carpets.. I try to keep a pretty clean house, and usually vacuum about once a week, depending on my schedule, so I didn't expect THAT much. Was I ever wrong!

Anyway, when I get my house Dyson clean, I can send the vacuum down to you... Just make sure you send it back... lol

Jamie

FYI for anyone looking for a Dyson, I was looking at my Big lots Flyer this morning and they have the Dyson DC14 for $279.00 I just checked on Amazon and they are going for $550.0

Laurie

We've had our Dyson Animal for 4 years and still LOVE it!

What about Dyson DC14, anyone used it?

Quote Originally Posted by tkrotter View Post
    What about Dyson DC14, anyone used it?
    Look at this thread.

Hate My Dyson

I just hate my Dyson. It's been back to be repaired 3 times. Motor replaced once. Power cord still overheats. Suction is great on carpet, lousy on hardwood floors. It simply pushes things around. I never really noted this until I spilled some dry oatmeal on kitchen floor. I had to go over and over and over and over oatmeal and it never got it all. Other things on hardwood floors also very difficult - or impossible - to pick (suction) up.

Dyson is just sitting in the basement, never being used. I think I bought the hype. Maybe I just got a lemon.

I love my Dyson. I only use it on carpet though. It just seems easier to use my bissel lightweight on the tile. Or my Roomba.

My dogs knocked over a plant. Drug the pot everywhere dumping dirt. My Dyson did such a good job, you can't even see where it was. I figured I was going to have to steam clean, but nope.
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge

I love mine. We have only had it a couple of weeks, so I am still being amazed at how much stuff it is picking up out of the carpets. With 3 cats and 2 dogs (plus a couple of small furry creatures and DD's thick long curly hair) we got the DC25 Animal and it is definitely getting a workout.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

I LOVE my Dyson animal. We have all tile floors and it does a great job picking up the dog hair for our 3 dogs. It is used at least 5 days a week so gets a lot of use. We've had it for about 3 years. You do have to clean out the tubes (which easily snap off) if they get clogged with hair.

I have the Dyson Tornado. It's so beautiful, pink and grey, that when I bought it, the saleslady at the check-out said, "I'm jealous"!

Well, first of all, it does clean carpets exceptionally well, but I must continuously empty the canister (no bags necessary.) It fills up quickly.

It does "catch" certain parts of the rug, and makes the most frightening noise, and I have to shut off the switch as fast as I can. It is very unwieldy, and it takes up half a small closet to store away. And, it is very heavy for me. I haven't got to the attachments yet, but I really do need them, as the base is much too big to fit in and out of places.

The visual is so pretty that it is enjoyable to use, but it takes more out of me physically than any other vacuum I've ever used. And I'm always glad when my vacuuming is all done. Oh, and one of the attachments does not stay securely in its little nook, and is constantly falling out while I'm vacuuming. I finally just took it out, and I store it on the floor in the closet.