Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Dinner for one . . . ideas?

Christmas Dinner for one . . . ideas?

I am staying home this Christmas Eve and Christmas Day [well, I might decide to go somewhere for Christmas Day . . . but probably not]

Usually when I stay home for this holiday, I have a special meal in mind to make myself. But for some reason this year, I just don't have any ideas. I keep thinking Goose or Duck. But seriously am not going to make that for one and would be just as happy with something else. Then I think steak or salmon. But those don't see special enough. Then I think lobster or crab, and I've had them recently so again, just not thinking that is what I want.

The only things I know for sure: I will be making either a Dirty Christmas Tree or a Pammela's Champagne Cocktail. I will have some sort of roasted brussel sprout side dish. I will have cherry cheesecake for dessert.

I would really like some different salad . . . lettuce/greens based salad. Some appetizer that I don't normally have. Some main dish that I don't normally have (but that I don't end up having to make a huge thing). And I would want some other side dish . . . something as yummy as mac-n-cheese or scalloped potatoes . . . without being that.

And I just can't seem to find the right source to inspire me. I've read some posts and done some searches and looked through the recipes I have saved to try. I will probably start looking through cookbooks and see if anything catches my eye.

But I thought of y'all and figured you might have some marvelous ideas too.

Anybody?
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge

What I had for Thanksgiving was great. Works for Christmas as well. I deboned and stuffed a turkey leg. I was cooking for one. I had mashed potato/rutabaga, cranberry sauce, gravy and another veggie of some sort.

Recently I made an Italian Pumpkin Strata. I cut recipe in half and had lots of leftovers. Good for a brunch too.

Staying with the poultry theme, a Cornish Game Hen is a great meal for one. A light stuffing of thyme, onion and lemon and just roast it in the oven. Not too big and if you eat half of it for dinner, then you have half leftover for the next day's lunch or dinner.

I agree with Hammster; a game hen is festive and can be as simple as you wish but also can have a wonderful glaze or pan sauce and there's no limit to the indulgent side dishes you can serve. There's that great BC cauliflower and potato gratin (if I remember it correctly) or a nice stuffing as Mr. Hamm suggested.
    But really - I can't imagine Dungeness crab twice in two weeks as too much! I'm usually a purist, just dipping it in drawn butter, but last year someone on the BB pointed me to this oven-roasted crab recipe from Bon Appétit and that's what I'll be making. And it keeps going on sale - tonight it was $3.99/pound at Whole Foods

For Christmas day I may have another indulgent dish - shrimp scampi or some variation thereon. Actually, I've been making a sauce with garlic, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, baby spinach, and chanterelles. Over spaghettini.
    Or maybe I'll go with the game hen.

I *love* a pan-fried duck breast, but since the last time I made one the fire department showed up, I think I'm out of the duck breast business. (Although it might make a heart-warming made-for-TV movie if it took place on Christmas day ).

Breakfast is always a toasted onion bagel with all the Stinky Stuff.
    And I may even make a coconut cake.

I do "indulgence" pretty well.
    PS: has anyone seen my gym card around here anywhere??
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Rock Cornish Game Hen With Cranberry-Pecan Stuffing ~

1 large rock cornish game hen, thawed
    1 cup breadcrumbs
    1/3 cup pecans, roughly chopped
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup dried cranberries
    salt and pepper
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 tablespoon butter, melted
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate

1. Remove giblets from the defrosted hen. Rinse in cold water and pat dry before stuffing.
    2. Brown the bread crumbs in butter, add the nuts, salt and pepper. Stir in the dried cranberries.
    3. Fill the game hen cavity, loosely, with the crumb mixture.
    4. Combine the honey, orange juice concentrate, butter and paprika, stir well.
    5. Place the stuffed hen in a shallow roasting pan. Brush with the honey butter.
    6. While roasting the hen, baste several more times to achieve a nice brown coating.
    7. Roast 350 degrees, about 1 hour, or until the drumstick feels loose.
    8. Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Serves 1-2.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

OK, I'm back - now thinking about beef. I know you said steak doesn't seem special enough, but perhaps it could be. I only buy steak about three times a year, so when I do I splurge - but not as much as I did the year I got a Christmas basked that included some fantastic wild mushrooms and a gorgeous Stilton cheese. I bought a really nice rib-eye and made an over-the-top mushroom ragù with whiskey and crumbled Stilton over top. It felt sort of extravagant. Or what about an individual beef Wellington? Or your favorite cut of beef with a nice slice of a compound butter on top?
    Going back to the seafood (I know you said you've had your fill, but I can't take "no" for an answer ) what if you did a lobster tail or the shrimp scampi with a steak, for a surf and turf?

Do you like lamb? Rack of lamb is special and not a fuss to make.
    Or quail! Emeril once made a quail dish stuffed with duxelles that looked awesome. The butcher would prepare the quail so no orthopedic surgery necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    There's that great BC cauliflower and potato gratin (if I remember it correctly) or a nice stuffing as Mr. Hamm suggested.
    I am not sure what BC stands for. Betty Crocker?

Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten)
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

"Fancier" things I have cooked for myself when DH traveled....

1. Lobster tail
    2. Sea scallops, seared or miso glazed
    3. 1 rib of a prime rib
    4. Tenderloin
    5. Maple leaf has duck legs that are INCREDIBLE!!!
    6. Jumbo shrimp
    7. Fois Gras from a fancy deli type place
    8. Several fancy cheeses with really good wine
    9. Extravagant dessert to any of the above.

I just saw Canice's post...OHHHHHH how I love lamb!!!
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Quote Originally Posted by armel View Post
    I am not sure what BC stands for. Betty Crocker?
    Sorry! Yes, as C4L said, it's from the Barefoot Contessa "Barefoot in Paris". I thought it was a combo potatoes and cauliflower, but apparently not - but who's to say you couldn't improvise?

Cauliflower Gratin
    serves 4 - 6

1 head of cauliflower, cut into large florets
    Kosher salt
    4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, divided
    3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
    2 cups hot milk
    1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
    3/4 cup grated Gruyère cheese, divided
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 375˚F.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season with salt. Cook the cauliflower until tender, but still firm (5-7 minutes). Drain well.

Over low heat, melt 2 Tbsp butter and stir in the flour. Cook for a couple of minutes while stirring with a wooden spoon. Pour the hot milk into the butter/flour mixture in a steady stream while whisking. After it comes to a boil, continue to cook for 1 minute (or until thickened), stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add 1 tsp salt, pepper, nutmeg, 1/2 cup of the Gruyère and the Parmesan. Stir to incorporate.

Pour 1/3 of the sauce into a 9" gratin dish or an 8x11x2 baking pan. Place the cauliflower florets in the dish and cover with remaining sauce. Mix breadcrumbs with the remaining Gruyère and sprinkle over the top. Melt the rest of the butter and drizzle over the breadcrumb mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bake 25-30 minutes or until the top is browned nicely. Can be served hot from the oven or at room temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    "Fancier" things I have cooked for myself when DH traveled....

1. Lobster tail
    2. Sea scallops, seared or miso glazed
    3. 1 rib of a prime rib
    4. Tenderloin
    5. Maple leaf has duck legs that are INCREDIBLE!!!
    6. Jumbo shrimp
    7. Fois Gras from a fancy deli type place
    8. Several fancy cheeses with really good wine
    9. Extravagant dessert to any of the above.

I just saw Canice's post...OHHHHHH how I love lamb!!!
    Hey, I think you and I should share a holiday meal - I'll bring the cheese!

If you want an appetizer, here's a recipe for skewers of maple leaf duck breast fom Yoshi's
    http://www.mercurynews.com/recipes/ci_13928254

I haven't made it yet, but I plan to Christmas Eve!
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

Recently I made an Italian Pumpkin Strata. I cut recipe in half and had lots of leftovers. Good for a brunch too.[/QUOTE]

The Pumpkin strata is intriguing! Did you like it? Would you recommend it? We usually have a strata Christmas morning, but I have to something different than our traditional menu. My first Christmas with neither on my kids coming home.
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

I'd plan a menu for one, maybe have a theme like French bistro or Caribbean (yes, I know it's Christmas, but this is a supposed to be a fun meal). If it were me, I'd go for French, a la Julie/Julia, which is currently playing on my DVD player.
    Soup: French Onion soup
    Main dish: Beouf Bourgignon! You could do Julia Child's recipe(otherwise, a steak in a red-wine sauce)
    Side dish: Pommes Anna
    A side dish of asparagus
    Dessert: Chocolate cake

Of course you'll have leftovers, but you'll also have lovely memories of cooking in the kitchen. Rent movies like Julie/Julia, Babette's Feast or Chocolat as accompaniment.

Oooh, French onion soup! I *love* that! I'm thinking maybe for Christmas lunch, after a long walk out on the beach? As Ina would say, "What's not to like?"
    Thanks for the great idea!

I *think* I am starting to get inspired. Hard not to with the good ideas.

Since I will be home for two celebratory meals . . . I am thinking of doing one that is really really simple.

Christmas Eve
    Something with a Cornish Game Hen. Maybe I can find some cherry type of glaze or sauce for it. Or I did see a Seasoned Cornish Hen with soy sauce, oyster sauce, garlic and butter.

A baked potato -- weird I know, but I rarely get them.

and maybe garlicky green beans.

Christmas Day
    I'm leaning towards some shrimp appetizer. Many years ago I saw a shrimp cocktail with 3 dipping sauces. I was going to bring it to a party. Now I have no idea where I saw it. I did see a shrimp appetizer where you put the butter and other ingredients in a ramekin and add the shrimp. It was called "Shrimp in Dill Butter".

I want some sort of green salad with fennel . . . and???

some sort of roasted brussel sprouts

my trader joe chestnut package has a chestnut au gratin recipe. I am thinking that might be fun.

main dish . . . steak au poivre? or I saw this baked salmon dish called Alaska Salmon Bake with Pecan Crunch Coating. and the oven roasted crab does look good too.

And then just some warmed dinner roll.

Cherry Cheesecake

I know that sounds like a lot of food. I guess though if I am going to cook something special for myself, I would like to really make it celebratory. But maybe I should cut something out.

Goin' Coastal ... The Italian Pumpkin Strata was very good. I made a couple of substitutes. I didn't have any Italian or French bread but I did have Ciabatta. I bought hot instead of sweet Italian sausage. I put in twice the amount of red and green peppers because I forgot to half that part of recipe. I put it all in a 9 x 11 Pyrex dish. It's definitely worth making again. Very interesting taste.

Hi Theresa,

Below is the link to the Brussels Sprouts that you must make. Fabulous! Also, you will love the Champagne Cocktail.

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...light=Brussels
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Just to add, if it were me alone for Christmas, I'd make sure I'd have something special for breakfast. It's one of the few days of the year when you have absolutely every excuse to lounge and enjoy in the morning and no reason to rush. Dinners are great but mornings are precious. I'd make blueberry pancakes or a bread pudding (I saw a recipe for pannetone bread pudding somewhere, which was the same as regular but using store-bought pannetone). Add coffee and something cinnamon-y.

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Sorry! Yes, as C4L said, it's from the Barefoot Contessa "Barefoot in Paris". I thought it was a combo potatoes and cauliflower, but apparently not - but who's to say you couldn't improvise?

Cauliflower Gratin
    serves 4 - 6

1 head of cauliflower, cut into large florets
    Kosher salt
    4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, divided
    3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
    2 cups hot milk
    1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
    3/4 cup grated Gruyère cheese, divided
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 375˚F.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season with salt. Cook the cauliflower until tender, but still firm (5-7 minutes). Drain well.

Over low heat, melt 2 Tbsp butter and stir in the flour. Cook for a couple of minutes while stirring with a wooden spoon. Pour the hot milk into the butter/flour mixture in a steady stream while whisking. After it comes to a boil, continue to cook for 1 minute (or until thickened), stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add 1 tsp salt, pepper, nutmeg, 1/2 cup of the Gruyère and the Parmesan. Stir to incorporate.

Pour 1/3 of the sauce into a 9" gratin dish or an 8x11x2 baking pan. Place the cauliflower florets in the dish and cover with remaining sauce. Mix breadcrumbs with the remaining Gruyère and sprinkle over the top. Melt the rest of the butter and drizzle over the breadcrumb mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bake 25-30 minutes or until the top is browned nicely. Can be served hot from the oven or at room temperature.
    I. Love. This. Recipe. I've had it several times over the past few years as "my" (vegetarian) main dish for various holidays. I can't have it this year (still dairy free) but as soon as I'm greenlighted - this will hit our table!

I'm leaning towards some shrimp appetizer. Many years ago I saw a shrimp cocktail with 3 dipping sauces. I was going to bring it to a party. Now I have no idea where I saw it.
    I made a shrimp cocktail with 3 dipping sauces recipe once from a Better Homes and Gardens appetizers magazine. Could that be where you saw it? I'm not sure if I still have mine or not, but I could look for it if you're interested.

Something with a Cornish Game Hen. Maybe I can find some cherry type of glaze or sauce for it.
    SheRa posted a recipe here for Cornish Hens with Cherry-Port Glaze that sounds and looks really scrumptious.

Quote Originally Posted by PAMMELA View Post
    Hi Theresa,

Below is the link to the Brussels Sprouts that you must make. Fabulous! Also, you will love the Champagne Cocktail.

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...light=Brussels
    Those look delicious! I think they have made the list.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgee View Post
    SheRa posted a recipe here for Cornish Hens with Cherry-Port Glaze that sounds and looks really scrumptious.
    Thanks. I have printed that out. If I go for the Cherry Glaze over the seasoning, this will be what I make.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea_2 View Post
    I made a shrimp cocktail with 3 dipping sauces recipe once from a Better Homes and Gardens appetizers magazine. Could that be where you saw it? I'm not sure if I still have mine or not, but I could look for it if you're interested.
    I really can't remember where I saw it. If you have it around that would be great! I would certainly be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by helios7 View Post
    I. Love. This. Recipe. I've had it several times over the past few years as "my" (vegetarian) main dish for various holidays. I can't have it this year (still dairy free) but as soon as I'm greenlighted - this will hit our table!
    Ok, with two thumbs up on this, I think it has made the list. I will take the chestnut thing off.

Quote Originally Posted by foodfiend View Post
    Just to add, if it were me alone for Christmas, I'd make sure I'd have something special for breakfast. It's one of the few days of the year when you have absolutely every excuse to lounge and enjoy in the morning and no reason to rush. Dinners are great but mornings are precious. I'd make blueberry pancakes or a bread pudding (I saw a recipe for pannetone bread pudding somewhere, which was the same as regular but using store-bought pannetone). Add coffee and something cinnamon-y.
    You know, I had thought about breakfast . . . but didn't have any ideas of something that caught my interest. I wasn't thinking pancakes or waffles or cinnamon rolls. And I just had friends over where we had eggs with garlic and cilantro, and maple pecan bacon. So wasn't wanting to repeat that.

BUT, your pannetone bread pudding . . . hmmmm, now that would be different and special and yummy. Do you have any links for recipes? I never make bread pudding although I do love it when I get it.

Whaddya know...Giada has a recipe for pannettone bread pudding with cinnamon syrup.

Ingredients

Cinnamon Syrup:
    1 cup water
    1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
    2 tablespoons whipping cream
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Bread Pudding:
    Butter
    1 (1-pound) loaf panettone bread, crusts trimmed, bread cut into 1-inch cubes
    8 large eggs
    1 1/2 cups whipping cream
    2 1/2 cups whole milk
    1 1/4 cups sugar

To make the syrup:
    Directions
    Combine 1 cup of water and brown sugar in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Boil until the syrup reduces to 1 cup, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cream and cinnamon. Keep the syrup warm. (The syrup can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Re-warm before serving.)

To make the bread pudding:
    Lightly butter a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish. Arrange the bread cubes in prepared dish.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, milk, and sugar to blend. Pour the custard over the bread cubes, and press the bread cubes gently to submerge. Let stand for 30 minutes, occasionally pressing the bread cubes into the custard mixture. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Bake until the pudding puffs and is set in the center, about 45 minutes. Cool slightly.

Spoon the bread pudding into bowls, drizzle with the warm Cinnamon Syrup, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by foodfiend View Post
    Whaddya know...Giada has a recipe for pannettone bread pudding with cinnamon syrup.

Ingredients

Cinnamon Syrup:
    1 cup water
    1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
    2 tablespoons whipping cream
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Bread Pudding:
    Butter
    1 (1-pound) loaf panettone bread, crusts trimmed, bread cut into 1-inch cubes
    8 large eggs
    1 1/2 cups whipping cream
    2 1/2 cups whole milk
    1 1/4 cups sugar

To make the syrup:
    Directions
    Combine 1 cup of water and brown sugar in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Boil until the syrup reduces to 1 cup, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cream and cinnamon. Keep the syrup warm. (The syrup can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Re-warm before serving.)

To make the bread pudding:
    Lightly butter a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish. Arrange the bread cubes in prepared dish.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, milk, and sugar to blend. Pour the custard over the bread cubes, and press the bread cubes gently to submerge. Let stand for 30 minutes, occasionally pressing the bread cubes into the custard mixture. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Bake until the pudding puffs and is set in the center, about 45 minutes. Cool slightly.

Spoon the bread pudding into bowls, drizzle with the warm Cinnamon Syrup, and serve.
    Yummy. Now I hope I can find Pannettone bread.

Armel,

Try WMkt. I think I saw some there.
    Life ain't Certain. Ride Your Best Horse First