Community Message Boards

Thread: The 12-foot wedding cookie table

The 12-foot wedding cookie table

Pittsburgh's wedding reception custom -

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/16/dining/16cookies.html
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Wow! That's a lot of cookies!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I love cookie tables! I grew up in the Youngstown, Ohio area and the city likes to lay claim to the origins of the cookie table. It was a rare wedding that didn't have one.

We had one at my daughter's wedding this past April. I wish I had a picture to share - it wasn't 12 feet, but was every bit of 8. I couldn't believe how many people brought cookies! My Mother-in-law orchestrated it - that is the side of the family that is Italian! My Sister-in-law brought her Grandmothers' favorite cookies - she said it was a way of bringing past generations to family events.

Since the wedding was in NC, most people there were unaware of the tradition - except for the clubhouse manager. She also grew up in Youngstown and was very familiar with them. Knew all about the "competition" aspect where all the aunts and other relatives try to outdo one another!

A bride stopped in the clubhouse the day of the wedding because she was considering the location for her upcoming wedding. She saw the cookie table and loved the idea and asked if that was a possibility to have if she decided to have her wedding there. The manager just kind of laughed and said of course she could - just tell her relatives to start baking!

Everyone loved the cookies -and there were plenty, so people were taking small plates with them and we also had a generous cookie table at the brunch we had the next morning. DD's wedding cake was beautiful, but the cookies tasted better!
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

Love this idea! I would have done it at my wedding if I had known about it!!!
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

If we ever renew our vows or have a party for a major anniversary, I need to remember this! Too cool. I've been to Pittsburgh quite a few times (love that area!) but had never heard of this.
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

I went to my cousin's wedding about a year ago in Pittsburgh, and they had a cookie table. We midwesterners had to ask for an explanation because we had no idea what it was about. I took a "take home" container on the plane home and DH and the kids all had a treat on the way home from the airport.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Hmmm...I grew up in Pgh and never heard of this tradition, and I can't remember ever attending a reception that did this. Having said that, I usually never eat the wedding cake, so I'd probably enjoy a variety of cookies more!
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

Really? The cookie table only happens around this area? How awful for the rest of you!!! Not having a cookie table is the only reason I regret eloping... but I made up for it at my brother's wedding!

I'm still surprised that this is not a tradition everywhere. Funny-- when you grow up with a certain tradition you kind of expect that everyone does it!
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

My daughter-in-law is originally from Pittsburgh. Guess what she and my son had at their wedding...Pittsburgh meets South Carolina! They had a cookie table. It wasn't 8- or 12-feet long, but it was a gigantic round table. Even though the club had never heard of the cookie table tradition, they did a fabulous job displaying everything. It really was a special treat at the wedding. Great idea!!

When a friend of my daughter's got married a few years ago in North Carolina, they had a cake table instead of a traditional wedding cake. Different family members had each made a couple of their "signature" cakes--there were probably a couple dozen in all. I thought it added such a nice personal touch to the reception, and it was wonderful to sample all those yummy cakes as well!
    Alicia

Posted the article on my facebook page. And I said it would be cool if people submitted the recipes to someone in advance so they could be bound in a book and given to the bride as a keepsake. A friend said families could do this for the holidays as well. Lots of people have treasured "have-to-have" recipes for T'Day, Xmas, etc. I think there's a lot of possibility there.
    "Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." --Mark Twain

"Is it true that cannibals won't eat clowns because they taste funny?"

"In wine there is wisdom; in beer there is strength; in water there is bacteria"

i wanted a cookie table at my wedding! i love cookies and thought it would be nice for the guests to have something to much on while we all danced the night away- i'm from weirton wv which is just outside of pittsburgh! but my dad about blew a gasket- for some reason he was totally against it- i have no idea why but wow extremely strong feelings against so i had no cookie table- and he grew up in the area
    Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post
    Pittsburgh's wedding reception custom -

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/16/dining/16cookies.html
    Hi ADM, thank you. That is very interesting to know. I was 8 when we left Pa. and never went to a wedding up there. This is all new to me.

Cheryl--I visited Weirton last fall--bought a Weir High t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
    Cheryl--I visited Weirton last fall--bought a Weir High t-shirt.
    wow! i went to madonna- but really wow someone went to weirton and bought a shirt?? ha ha been there done that lol!! but i did love watching super 8!
    Cheryl

I love the cookie table idea! Having looked at pictures online, some of the presentations are absolutely exquisite! Thanks for this idea! My DD will get married someday and I would love to be able to use this idea....but it will be her wedding, after all, so we'll have to wait and see. I bookmarked this thread and other sites, though.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen