Community Message Boards

Thread: Harvest Cinnamon Rolls / Yeast question

Harvest Cinnamon Rolls / Yeast question

I'm going to make the Harvest Cinnamon Rolls to give as gifts this year and have a question for anyone who has made them or bakes with yeast. The recipe: [URL="http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/CinnamonRollsFantastic.htm"]
    calls for instant active dry yeast. I have regular active dry yeast -- can I use this instead? Does this mean I need to wait longer than 10 minutes (per the recipe) for the first rise? How will I know the dough has risen enough? When it's simply doubled in size?

Thanks for your help!

Your link is wrong... Harvest Cinnamon Rolls.

You'll have to proof dry active (regular yeast) using the warmed milk and/or water and a tsp of the sugar. And the amount of yeast will be different:

To convert recipes calling for instant yeast to active dry yeast: Use 1.25 times the weight; or, for 1 teaspoon instant yeast, use about 1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (from baking911.com)

You will let the dough rest not rise for 10 minutes.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

These sound really good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Sneezles, how did you make the link like that? I only know how to copy and paste a link, but not how to say Harvest Cinnamon Rolls and have it be the link. I don't even know if my question makes any sense LOL

I'm SO glad I read this post! I've been converting from instant to active ALL WRONG and wondering why I've had such disastrous results. Thanks for the info, Susan!
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

Quote Originally Posted by Alleycat View Post

Sneezles, how did you make the link like that? I only know how to copy and paste a link, but not how to say Harvest Cinnamon Rolls and have it be the link. I don't even know if my question makes any sense LOL

When you find the web page you want to link to then copy just as you would when just posting the link. Then type the words you want to use for the link (Harvest Cinnamon Rolls, in this case), highlight those words and then click on the globe icon at the top of the reply box, paste the link into the pop-up window, then click the okay button. I then click on the B (for bold) before doing anything else and it should bold the text you used for the link...clear as mud, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by little_bopeep View Post
    I'm SO glad I read this post! I've been converting from instant to active ALL WRONG and wondering why I've had such disastrous results. Thanks for the info, Susan!

Glad to be of service!

Thanks, Sneezles!