Community Message Boards

Thread: Freezing/refrigerating cookie dough/biscotti dough?

Freezing/refrigerating cookie dough/biscotti dough?

I never usually freeze or refrigerate cookie dough, so I'm wondering how well that would work specifically for biscotti, jam thumbprint cookies, and Mexican wedding cookies - anyone done this? FYI, for a timeline, I'm having a party on the 25th, and I'm thinking about baking most of the cookies on the 23rd, but making all of the different doughs tomorrow (the 20th).

I've had excellent results freezing cookie doughs. Most cookie dough needs to be refrigerated for awhile before baking anyway -- at least I have found that to produce the best results -- especially with butter cookies in which it is such a delicate balance between the low melting point of butter versus the "structure" of the cookie.

The last time I did a major cookie bake I froze the dough because I wanted to do an assembly line process because I didn't want to store the already made cookies for a prolonged period of time and it was logistically simpler to make the doughs on one day -- freeze -- and then bake the cookies at a later date close to their actual need.

FWIW, I often gift people with frozen cookie dough that has been formed into the individual cookies. Lots of people appreciate the ability to take out two cookies and bake them for dessert.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

Most cookie dough refrigerates just fine. Every year when I do my xmas cookies, I start out by mixing up a bunch of different kinds of dough and sticking it in the fridge (I shape each into a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap). Then I get it out and bake as I have time. Thumbprint and Mex Wedding refrigerate fine.

If the dough has eggs or something like eggnog, I bake those first and don't usually leave them more than a couple days. The flour/butter/sugar ones I've left up to a week and they're fine (as long as you wrap them tightly so they don't absorb odors from your fridge).

I've only run across one cookie dough that I don't refrigerate because they're just unworkable if I do. They're kind of similar to the Mex Wedding but the recipe has less butter. The dough's on the dry side and if I refrigerate it, it just crumbles and I can't do anything with it. (and now that I've actually compared those two recipes so I could mention that, I think I'll make a note to up the butter the next time I make them and see if that makes them easier to handle )

Here's all my cookie dough from last xmas...

For those in touch with it, Reality is the leading cause of stress.

Thank you so much for the replies - this gives me the confidence boost I needed to try a new way of prepping for holiday baking!

I freeze all of my cookie dough 2-3 weeks before I start baking. It makes it so much easier. I make 20 different varieties of cookies and so I will make the batches of "like" flavors all at once and freeze them (remember to mark what they are, I forgot to do that once. LOL)

I also was watching something on the Food Network last week about chocolate chip cookies and the baker said that they put the cookie dough in the fridge for 3 days before baking and that is the secret to their good cookies.

I also have a Food Saver vacuum sealer, so I wrap the dough in freezer paper and then seal it in a plastic bag. For drop cookies I will break the dough up into smaller balls and just take out one or 2 balls of dough to bake up and keep the rest for another time.
    Cookie baker and cake decorator

Hmmm... so I have several types of dough in the fridge right now... if I'm planning to bake most of them on the 23rd, and a few on the 25th, should I freeze for a day and a half and then thaw, or keep them simply refrigerated until the 23rd/25th?

I guess - what is the timeline for freezing vs. refrigerating?

Second question - how long does it take to thaw? I'm guessing 4-6 hrs?

Freezing/refrigerating cookie dough/biscotti dough

Holy ****. Food forum. bout time. Alright, so Ive got this cookie dough I made. Its for cowboy cookies, wich is oats and chocolate chips. Whenever I make it they come out really crunchy, what can I do to make them softer?

If the recipe is all white granulated sugar, try using some brown sugar in place of the white sugar. White sugar makes a crisper cookie, so using brown sugar will make it more tender.
    Cookie baker and cake decorator

Quote Originally Posted by authome09 View Post
    Holy ****. Food forum. bout time. Alright, so Ive got this cookie dough I made. Its for cowboy cookies, wich is oats and chocolate chips. Whenever I make it they come out really crunchy, what can I do to make them softer?