Community Message Boards

Thread: How long will heavy cream keep in the fridge

How long will heavy cream keep in the fridge

I found a container of heavy cream in the back of my fridge...it has been there since Thanksgiving It does not smell sour, but I wondered if it would be suitable to use. Probably would not make whipped cream out of it, but I could use it for something else.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

It keeps for quite a long time, especially the new Ultra-past. version.
    I go by smell.
    I've used 1/2 & 1/2 weeks after the exp. date without problem.
    Whipping cream is basically un-churned butter
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Maybe some chocolate pudding is in order. That is what I usually use my leftover 1/2 and 1/2 for. I will taste before using though just in case.

I did notice after posting that the sell by date was just the 18th, but it has been open this whole time.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

As long as it smells OK and isn't chunky , I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

stilltasty.com says 3-4 days after use-by date whether it's open or unopened, as long as it's been continually refrigerated. So you're good to use it today.
    http://stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/17045

Maybe it's the organic cream I buy, but it seems to spoil very quickly once opened. I most definitely would not use cream that's been opened since Thanksgiving, but that's just me.

Eva, I rarely buy organic cream and it still seems to, uhm, "clot" after just a couple of days. I bought some tonight to make truffles and thought I'd transfer the remainder into a glass jar w/tight lid and see if that helps.
    Maybe because it's not the ultra-pasteurized?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    It keeps for quite a long time, especially the new Ultra-past. version.
    I go by smell.
    me too, mostly... but don't forget to taste it before you use/toss it; sometimes it smells icky just from the little bit at the top of the carton, when it's really fine. and it could smell okay and still taste funky.
    it's safe as long as it's not separated and chunky, but after it's slightly soured, which you can taste and smell, it's only good for simple baking, not whipping, and it will separate in soups at that point too.