Community Message Boards

Thread: Question about Self-Cleaning Oven

Question about Self-Cleaning Oven

I am embarrased to ask, but.....I decided to run the oven through the self-cleaning cycle. I've never done this before and don't really know how it works and no longer have the manual. So here is my question--does it turn itself off when it's done? Do I need to do anything?

I haven't yet used the self-cleaning feature in the apt. From what I remember from the oven in my former house, I took the racks out and turned the oven on. The oven turned itself off and stayed locked for an extended cool-down period. It would then unlock. The process took a few hours.

I did this last year. You want to take the racks out. The oven will lock itself and stay locked through the cycle. It will tell you when it is done and unlock. The odor was vile. You want any pet birds in a room far from the oven that is well ventilated. You want any pets out of the way too.

I had the ventilation running and all windows open. So if you live somewhere that isn't practical, you might want to hold off until the spring. Or do it when nobody is home.

You might want to oil the racks lightly to help them slide. I noticed that mine do not slide as well.
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge

Just a word to the wise--if you have a gas stove, be careful.

A friend of mine's life (and her son's) was saved by her CO2 detector when running the self clean feature. She remembers playing with her son, and then them both waking up to the alarm. It was spring and she hadn't opened any windows so there was no ventilation. It was a fairly new house as well; they decided on a whim on the CO2 detectors during construction, thank goodness.
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

You might want to see if you can find the manual online. My present oven (a Jenn-Air [gas top, electric oven]) requires that multiple actions be taken in a particular order. (Other ovens have been more intuitive.) Although this oven is less stinky than some I've had, I usually put it through its paces at night with the fan on and the window open. As another poster noted, the oven does turn itself off after the cool-down period.

The issue of removing or not removing the racks is individual choice. If you leave them in (which I choose to do), they will become dark rather than shiny. After cleaning, I apply a light layer of Crisco to the bottom of the sides of the racks which touch the oven to help them slide easily.

Kay

Absolutely take out the racks or they will never slide well again. I clean the inside glass window with a scraper and oven cleaner first and wipe it off well. If something runs over, (like lasagne) I scrape up the bulk of the spill so the clean cycle doesn't stink so much.
    My clean cycle runs about 3 hours. you can change it to less time, or cancel any time during the process. it locks the oven door. My usual reason is lasagne that bubbled over. every time you use the oven it stinks until you run a clean cycle.
    I rarely cook anything that splatters so my oven stays fairly clean and the cleaning cycle only needs about half the time. if your oven is pretty dirty plan on the full cycle and run the exhaust fan with at least one window open.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

Um, I never take out the racks and they slide just fine.

It DOES smell though. Really bad. So yeah, plan on opening windows. And you have to wipe it out after which is such a ... fraud! It should just *bam* be clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Romandub View Post
    I am embarrased to ask, but.....I decided to run the oven through the self-cleaning cycle. I've never done this before and don't really know how it works and no longer have the manual. So here is my question--does it turn itself off when it's done? Do I need to do anything?
    As was mentioned before, if you can find an on-line manual, please read it through. Not all ovens are the same in how the self-clean cycle works (though there are similarities). And all the ovens I've had had to have the cycle time set to work -- you set the self-clean to start at a given time and set it to be done from 2 to 3 hours later, depending upon how dirty the oven is. It only turns itself off at the end when you have programed it to.
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~

Kath, thanks for th tip o the oil I leave mine in and didn't realize that what causes the rackes to stick will have to try that

My oven is newer so its just a amtter of punching 2 buttons and make sre you have a window open for ventilation.

And make sure you have nothing in the oven. Years ago, I just moved into a house, the movers came that day and the house was packed with moving boxes including the kitchen. I dont know why I thought I needed to clean the oven, next thing I Know there is a fire in the oven and smoke is pouring out. All I could think of all of my boxes going up in flames. because of the lock I could not get the oven open, The fire dept came, itself out, they said they could break the oven window they said probably something left over to to let it just burn itself out. The previous owner had left a pizza box in the oven

Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by Laurielee View Post
    And make sure you have nothing in the oven. Laurie
    One time I absent-mindedly left something in the oven -- part of a roast, I think. It seemed like the oven smelled more than usual during the cleaning. When I opened it up in the morning, that was one charred piece of food!

Kay