Community Message Boards

Thread: Grace - Asking about cheesecake

Hybrid View

Exclamation Grace - Asking about cheesecake

Grace - I'm setting out to make the chocolate amaretto cheesecake from the June issue, and having done a search, saw that you're our resident expert. Could you please tell me which chocolate wafers you bought. I'm from England, and what I understand to be a wafer is I think very different to the US definition of a wafer. So if you could give me a brand name, and what aisle of the grocery store to look for it, that would be great! And any other tips for cooking what looks to be a scruptious dessert!

Thanks

Hi,
    I am not Grace, but I have made this cheesecake before. I actually ended up using chocolate graham crackers. I don't know if you are familiar with graham crackers or not . They are on the isle with crackers but they are sweet. They come in different flavors, I used the chocolate ones. I hope this helps.
    Lynn

Hi - I don't know how much of an "expert" I am, but what they are referring to in the recipe is the chocolate version of the "Vanilla Wafers". There is also a brand called Nilla Wafers, and you should be able to find chocolate ones right next to the regular, vanilla ones.

That being said, I had a hard time keeping those darn chocolate wafers in the house (my husband eats them all up), and I am one who likes to have all my ingredients on hand all the time. Rather than buy a box of chocolate wafers every week (!!), I bought a box of chocolate cookie crumbs. They are in the baking aisle next to the graham cracker crumbs. This works well for two reasons. They are already crushed, and very evenly too (thus allowing me to skip the messy step of crushing them myself), and my husband won't eat a box of crumbs!!!! The cookie crumbs are Oreo cookie crumbs. They taste delicious. Incidentally, one time I made this I had neither the box of crumbs nor the chocolate wafers. I called a neighbor (who has kids!) and asked if they had any oreos - of course they did, so I borrowed a few oreos and scraped the white filling out of the middle and crushed those. Worked perfectly. So improvise if you have to, and don't worry. Whatever you use (including the chocolate graham crackers mentioned above!) will work just fine! ENJOY THAT CHEESECAKE!!!! I think I'll just have to bake another one myself!

there is also a type of choclate wafers made by Nabisco (I think) that are wider and thinner than the 'Nilla kind. They have a bittersweet taste. This is what I always use for crusts. The box is yellow and it has cellophane over the top. The cookies are in a row on end.

The ones that Nirak mentioned are Nabisco's Famous Chocolate Wafers. They are the ones that I use most ofter for chocolate cheesecakes. They are in a yellow 5-sided box (no top) wrapped in cellophane so that you can see the cookies. They have a picture of a chocolate roll cake with white icing on the box.
    Rather detailed, huh.
    Just so no one thinks that I live on them, I just happen to have 1/2 a box left.

Tamara
    Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or Mom.

I have used oreo cookies to make the crumb crust, but I don't take the white icing out. It helps to keep the crumbs together and is very tasty!

Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for the advice and guidance on the cheesecake, and the crumbly base.

I was at Publix last night, and found lots of boxes of the Nilla wafers, but no chocolate equivalents. So I'm going to go with the oreo crumb option, and buy a box of already processed oreo cookies - saw them in the baking aisle.

Thanks again.

Chocolate Nilla wafers

I've never heard of or seen these. I wonder if they are not marketed in this area (Maryland and PA)? I always use chocolate graham crackers for cheesecake crusts. But, boy would I love to find those chocolate Nilla wafers!! I love the vanilla ones.

Originally posted by Grace
    I called a neighbor (who has kids!) and asked if they had any oreos - of course they did, so I borrowed a few oreos and scraped the white filling out of the middle and crushed those.
    Come on Grace...fess up...what did you do with the scraped-out white filling???
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~