Community Message Boards

Thread: Sterlilizing wash cloths in microwave

Sterlilizing wash cloths in microwave

I'm not sure I know the correct way to put a wash cloth into the microwave for 30 seconds, to sterilize it. May it be wet, after washing dishes, or does it need to be dry? Or, must it be wet, and never dry? Or, either way?

Also, my wash cloths have a tiny ribbon rose on top, with a little ribbon loop. Is that safe to go into the microwave, too? I have a 1250 watt oven, is 30 seconds satisfactory? Thanks for any advice!

~ Tangerine

I would think it would have to be wet - that is how you sterilize sponges. You need some moisture for the microwaves to work.

But honestly, I would just invest in a bunch of cheap washcloths and then change them out every day or more often. You can get 10 for like $5 at places like Target.

Is there some reason you want to sterilize in the MW?
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

I actually just read that putting them in the microwave for 30 seconds was much more effective than the washer/dryer. I like the idea of the instant zap, and nice and fresh and healthy again. It would also be less wear and tear on them than frequent washer/dryer rounds.

Also, I love to knit my own dish cloths, with 100% cotton yarn, in beautiful shapes and colors, so they are what I like to use. My favorites are round and petal-shaped, aqua and lavender and purple. It makes dishwashing, when not using dishwasher, very pleasurable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
    I actually just read that putting them in the microwave for 30 seconds was much more effective than the washer/dryer. I like the idea of the instant zap, and nice and fresh and healthy again. It would also be less wear and tear on them than frequent washer/dryer rounds.

Also, I love to knit my own dish cloths, with 100% cotton yarn, in beautiful shapes and colors, so they are what I like to use. My favorites are round and petal-shaped, aqua and lavender and purple. It makes dishwashing, when not using dishwasher, very pleasurable.
    I have tons and religiously change them every day. However I love the idea of this. I'll be watching this thread.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Could you boil them for 5 minutes? I read something recently on this topic, though it was talking about sponges. It said to boil on the stove for 5 min b/c the sponge can catch fire in the microwave. You might try that if you don't want to risk something happening to the ribbon.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Can you bleach your homemade ones? Dishcloths and dishtowels get bleached when they are washed in the washing machine, but ours are always colorfast so the bleach doesn't mess up the colors.

LaraW, it's a coincidence that you ask that, because that happens to be my current method of sterilization. I bring a very large 5-quart pot, filled with water, to a boil. Then, I squirt a tiny bit of dish detergent (Dawn) in and stir, and then put the dish cloth(s) in, stir them, and keep them in the boiling water until the water is room temperature, approx. an hour, more or less. Then, I boil a tea kettle full of water, and "rinse" the dish cloth with all of the boiling water. And, my ribbons do okay with that method. The only thing is that it is quite time-consuming, and so I do it once a week. I think boiling it actively for five minutes might weaken the cotton and/or affect the colors, but I'm certain about this.

I can continue with my method, but I thought perhaps the microwave could offer a quicker and more instant alternative. BUT, if there's any chance of a fire in the microwave, I guess I'm not interested, after all.

Hammster, bleach is a good solution, and I'm pretty certain the cotton yarn is colorfast, but I can't use it because I get faint at the smell of the fumes.

~ Tangerine

I would certainly give it a try in the microwave -- just make sure the cloths are wet and you shouldn't have a problem. (Though I'd make sure I watched the whole time and would stop the MW if it looked like they were starting to "crisp up" at all before the 30 seconds was up)
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~