Community Message Boards

Thread: Today Show / Rose Parade

Today Show / Rose Parade

I may be really naive/dense here, but how can Al Roker be sitting in NY for the Today Show this morning but also be emceeing the Rose Parade in CA later this morning?

I haven't had coffee yet this morning, so I'll use that as my excuse, but I can't figure this out unless Today is taped????

Kate

I dunno.

Maybe the Today Show is airing from California today. The set looks different to me.

I think they've taped everything for today's broadcast. Each segment looks kind of spliced together. Plus, Natalie was up past midnight doing the Carson Daly NYE in Times Square. And Meredith is on vacation this week. I think it's a good way to do it. You can still have a broadcast, yet everyone get's the day off

its three hours earlier there and it takes about 4 hours to fly so they could do that but I am sure they taped it.

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    I think they've taped everything for today's broadcast. Each segment looks kind of spliced together. Plus, Natalie was up past midnight doing the Carson Daly NYE in Times Square. And Meredith is on vacation this week. I think it's a good way to do it. You can still have a broadcast, yet everyone get's the day off

They did a good job making you believe it was "live".

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
    They did a good job making you believe it was "live".
    They did! The more I thought about it, taping was the only way to pull that off as Al was in LA earlier in the week doing the weather.

Thanks, everyone!

Kate

Kate, I had the very same thought! I was so confused as to how it was all done. I agree they really did well making it seem the Today show was live.
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

I think they may have done this on Christmas too, because all the major anchors were there and that seemed odd that none of them took Christmas morning off.

I kept wondering what they would have done had there been some huge breaking story in the news - would they have dumped the innocuous taped stuff and put the B team on the air live?
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

Even yesterday's show made a big deal about how Al was in Pasadena. Nice little trick by the producers.

Another nifty NBC trick? Pretending that they'd actually cover the Tournament of Roses parade. Their coverage was awful and beyond annoying. Why on earth would you show the Rose Bowl float, the Oregon cheerleaders and band, and completely leave out the opposing team's entries?

On our local paper's comments section, one person has commented that students have been known to set things on fire and riot for much less.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

I don't know if you have the option where you are, but we always watch the coverage on Fox. Stephanie Edwards and Bob Eubanks are The Rose Parade team for us. And Fox also runs it commercial free, so there are no interruptions or missed floats, bands, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by MKSquared View Post
    Even yesterday's show made a big deal about how Al was in Pasadena. Nice little trick by the producers.

Another nifty NBC trick? Pretending that they'd actually cover the Tournament of Roses parade. Their coverage was awful and beyond annoying. Why on earth would you show the Rose Bowl float, the Oregon cheerleaders and band, and completely leave out the opposing team's entries?

On our local paper's comments section, one person has commented that students have been known to set things on fire and riot for much less.
    I resemble that remark

Will be cheering the Buckeyes on proudly