Community Message Boards

Thread: How do you use tapenade?

How do you use tapenade?

I made some tapenade yesterday, which does indeed add a great deal to a grilled cheese made of cranberry cheddar. But...I can only eat so many of those. DH won't touch tapenade, or anything else with olives, so I'm looking for some other ways to use it.

Your faves?
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

If you don't like olives then there is basically no way to disguise a tapenade. I've added some tapenade to my bread dough. I've also tried rolling out my bread dough and spreading tapenade and rolled it up before baking. It's great just on crackers. You can top your portion of pizza with tapenade. It can be added to sauces or soups.

On pizza, instead of sauce. A thin layer of tapenade, some roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, feta, and a little mozzarella. Particularly tasty on a whole grain crust.

On mediterranean burgers - top the patty or grilled portabella with a slice of tomato, some lettuce, and a mixture of tapenade and crumbled feta. Or so something similar with roasted veggies and a little melty cheese in a panini.

Tossed with pasta and roasted veggies.

I also used to eat it for breakfast on rye toast.... but I love olives!

Michelle

I've also topped plain green salads to jazz them up a bit and it works!

We stir it into pasta sauce, eat it on bread, spread it on sandwiches,

eat it on a spoon, toss it on salads, put it on pizza.

It is great as a spread for a variety of sandwiches - anything with Italian meats and cheeses (like a muffaletta style sandwich or Italian sub). I love it schmeared on fresh French bread as an appetizer.
    - Josie

I second (third or even fourth)- its a great spread on crackers, with carrots/celeryveggie sticks, on a sandwich/wrap, on pizza...anywhere you would use a tasty salty spread.

I love it best on crackers, celery, or bread as an appy.
    Cheryl

OMG, you guys are making me hungry! Now that the holidays are over, I'm trying to get out of the snacking habit. I shouldn't have opened this thread :-)

MMMMMM tapenade.

You can also use it as a topping for a mild white fish (tilapia) before baking/broiling, or stir some into a red sauce/marinara to make a puttanesca-type sauce for pasta.

Do a search on foodnetwork.com; I know there have been some recipes there using it as an ingredient because I remember Emeril pronouncing it "tampenade" for one whole episode.
    Visit my website at www.simplydeliciouschef.com