Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I Freeze Grated Romano Cheese?

Can I Freeze Grated Romano Cheese?

I have more grated Romano cheese than I can use and am wondering if I can freeze it?

Thanks.

I think so. Freezing sometimes changes the texture of the cheese, but I don't think that's such a big issue with grated cheese. It just may thaw and be powdered cheese.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I always store grated Romano cheese in the freezer and have been very happy with the product once thawed. I double bag the cheese to keep out air and this works well. I just thaw in refrig overnight
    wintkat
    see some of my pix @
    www.pbase.com/wintkat

and my online diary as I move from age 59 to the big 6o
    http://60-or-bust.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mikesmom View Post
    I have more grated Romano cheese than I can use and am wondering if I can freeze it?

Thanks.
    I freeze it. Beats finding the green stuff on it in the fridge. Only rule I go by is to grate or shred any cheese I freeze. You don't want to do it after frozen.

I'm a purist and never, ever freeze cheese of any kind at all. I really don't think it's good for the texture, flavor, everything.

Plus, cheese has a really long shelf life, so I never find it necessary to freeze it. Someone mentioned room in the fridge, which could be your issue (I have storage issues in my freezer, but not in my fridge, so I'm the opposite). But, if not, the cheese should last a month or so and not have any problems. It could last longer than that even.